TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2008 NBA Playoffs: What to look out for in the west

The Lakers have swept the Denver Nuggets and wait on the outcome of the Utah/Houston Series.

The San Antonio Spurs await their trip to the Big Easy.

Tracy McGrady is likely doomed to another "first round out".

It makes you think. Who in the west has what it takes to go all the way? Here are a few key factors to consider in the 2008 playoff race.

*Despite critisizm earlier in the season of the team's GM, questioning the will of the team owner and fellow teammates, Kobe Bryant has emerged and taken this team to the next level, only this time he's getting the young guys to buy into it. Their record of 57-25 ensures them home court advantage throughout the western conference playoffs.

*Chris Paul has taken his New Orleans Hornets and carried them on his back to get the francise the furthest they've been since leaving the eastern conference. The city of New Orleans needs a spot of sunray peeking through the loom cloud over their exhausted town. The Hornets are proving to be just that ray. The home crowd is behind them 200%. Look for them to give San Antonio a very up tempo, physical series.

*The Utah Jazz can seal the fate of the Houston Rockets as early as Friday. Tracy McGrady has not answered the call of leadership to take this team, or any team for that matter and guide them to a playoff series victory. No one is expecting him to do so now. Utah plays at a fast pace, they share the ball, they are willing to make the extra pass, and have strong bodies in the post. The Jazz are the likely team to advance from this series and face Los Angeles, and would be much to the delight of any NBA fan to see the matchups these to teams will go with. As if Houston advances, they might just take joy in the fact they won one playoff series and take joy in that.

I say the Lakers can make a strong push to the finals, but we've seen the last series sweep. The competition will be much tougher, the talent and poise of teams left are at a higher level, and much more is on the line. Let us not forget that the defending champion Spurs still appear to be firing on all cyclinders and still play championship-style ball. Who do you think will emerge victorious from the west?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the San Antonio v New Orleans can go either way, I hope it swings towards N.O. though. Chris Paul can keep up with Parker-Longoria and Flapu, I guess it just depends how well they defend against Duncan.

Lakers will beat Utah in 6 games. If Houston upsets Utah, it'll either be Lakers in 4 or 5.

Lakers will beat SA/NO in 7.

The East........who cares. I would default to Boston but they've been beaten TWICE by the freaking Hawks. Boston is the only team in the East that could realistically win against the West elite.

So, LA/Boston Finals. Everyone wins in that scenario.

But the Lakers will get the trophy.

For starters, I can't believe I'm actually discussing the NBA again.

With that said, it's been fairly entertaining thus far. The Boston series has proven my worst fears.....Boston's weak defense has been exploited. They seriously need to clamp down in the paint, or they're gonna be on the outside looking in real soon.

The east gets a bad rep. And for the most part, rightfully so, but with Detroit also struggling a bit, it proves that everyone is capable of picking up their game come playoff time.

The west remains up in the air. I've still got San Antonio on top, but it'll be a tough, hard fought series regardless of who they match up with. I'm leaning towards SA, and giving them the edge in the experience department, which I think may propel them in crunch time.

And on a side note, I need to change my avatar. The Bruins one failed miserably, and now the current KG pic seems to have some bad mojo associated with it.

I'm still scoring it San Antonio v. Boston.

As a Lakers fan I say they will at least reach the finals. Being realistic I say It's anybody's game, As for the east, I see Orlando playing the upset-underdog. I'm not saying they're going to the dance, but they have been severely underrated this season.

I just think it would be interesting to have a Boston/LA finals again. I know that the same frair wouldn't be there like in the Bird/Magic days, but, the media coverage of the series would blow up and might be a good thing for the NBA considering the horrible ratings that finals have gotten over the past few years.

However, I just don't see anyone beating the Spurs this year. The East is up in the air as I don't think you can stick together a few superstars and not have a decent supporting cast around them (talking about Boston, with evidence of the Lakers a few years back)

The East is up in the air as I don't think you can stick together a few superstars and not have a decent supporting cast around them (talking about Boston, with evidence of the Lakers a few years back)

Perhaps I'd be inclined to subscribe to this theory, but their record against the mighty West this season suggests that the supporting cast is slightly better than average. Maybe not spectacular by any means, but they seem to understand, accept, and excel in their supporting roles.....that's tough to find in these days of NBA selfishness.

With that said, the defense needs to remain solid if they hope to withstand the long run to the title. The "3 Party" will always get their numbers, but it'll be the little things that lock up games.

And on a side note, I need to change my avatar. The Bruins one failed miserably, and now the current KG pic seems to have some bad mojo associated with it.

Scott, your old avatar is still jinxing your team. Best change it to a Hawks player by Sunday or who knows what will happen!!!!! And I just want to say, the Boston Celtics (66-16) have been beaten by the Hawks (37-45) THREE TIMES. In case you missed that, the Boston Celtics (66-16) have been beaten by the Hawks (37-45) THREE TIMES.

But hey Scott, can you do me a favor? After your team gets beaten by the Hawks in the first round, can you switch your avatar over to Tim Duncan or maybe just the Spurs logo? I think we can all agree that the Spurs need to go down.

I just don't see the Celtics coming out of the East. Their coach isn't good enough.

I think whoever wins the NO/SA series will win the whole thing, I just don't believe in the Lakers without Bynum.

The Hornets will take the Spurs in 7 hard fought games. With the home crowd being what it has been over the last 2 months, it's really tough for visitors to win in that building.

My prediction, Hornets and Magic in the finals, Paul vs. Howard to determine the best young superstar not named LeBron

Scott, your old avatar is still jinxing your team. Best change it to a Hawks player by Sunday or who knows what will happen!!!!! And I just want to say, the Boston Celtics (66-16) have been beaten by the Hawks (37-45) THREE TIMES. In case you missed that, the Boston Celtics (66-16) have been beaten by the Hawks (37-45) THREE TIMES.

But hey Scott, can you do me a favor? After your team gets beaten by the Hawks in the first round, can you switch your avatar over to Tim Duncan or maybe just the Spurs logo? I think we can all agree that the Spurs need to go down.

HA! Yeah, my hat goes off to Atlanta, but in the end, moral victories don't count.

Along with the rest of New England, I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong, but at least we can exhale for now. Lebron concerns me, but if we can manage to win at least one on the road, I'll feel much better.

As for the avatar jinx, I've decided to charge anyone who'd like me to ruin their teams' opponent's luck by displaying their logo....$10.99/series.

I seriosly doubt the Celts now. Now that I was routing for them before, but playing a 7 game first round series can, does- and will take an effect on how you play the next series. Gloating intended, my favored team has yet to lose this post season. I like their chances getting to the finals. I also want to credit the Orlando Magic. They are a SEVERELY underrated team that I think can pull off two upsets en route to their first finals appearance without the help of a big, backboard braking you-know-who. I don't see the Celtics beating the Pistons or the Magic. The Celts even beating Cleveland is iffy. ( I see it going either way.)

Keep telling yourself that.

You, and everyone else who doesn't give this team a chance.

Kobe = 30 years old, in his prime, but a lot of tread on those tires.

Paul = 22, not even in his prime yet, and an MVP candidate, the real MVP, which he'll prove next round.

I'll take my chances with CP3

The real MVP??? Sure you can make a good case CP3 could have been MVP, but his case is no better or worse than Kobe's. Neither team would be anywhere close to where they are now without their respective stars, both have great numbers, and both can take over a game and dominate.

^I totally agree and I can't stand Kobe. They both had great seasons and are the number one reason their teams are still in the playoffs. Always remember the NBA MVP race always has other things involved, they used to come up with all types of reasons why Jordan shouldn't have won it every year.

I don't think an MVP award should ever be given out. Take Kobe, Paul, LeBron, Duncan, KG, Nash, etc., etc. off of their respected teams, and are any of them as strong as before? They all seem pretty "valuable" to me.

Sorry, I've just never thought much of league "MVP" awards. They rank right up there with how many times a guy has made the popularity game....er, All-Star game.

In all confidence, I say the Lakers will edge New Orleans in conference finals in six. I just see the Lakers with more experience and more leadership than the younger New Orleans. Kobe is just one of the people that everyone loves to hate, and in most (if not all) cases people let their opinions of him as a person effect the way they view him. Love him, hate him, or pretend the the guy doesn't exsist he can flat out ball. I don't think their is anyone in the game today that does it better than he does. Chris Paul is good. Damn good. So is Steve Nash,Tracy McGrady, Gilbert Arenas, and etc. This team is young and they have to make a dent in these playoffs to show they can actually do it. Six wins in the playoffs is a long way from 16.

The thing that bothers me is that there is no true definition of what the MVP should be. Sometimes it's given more as a career award (like this year with Kobe, or 98 with Karl Malone), others it's given for the best player on the best team (Dirk last year), and other times it's given to the guy who had the most influence on the success of his team (Nash a few years ago). I am shocked that Kobe hasn't won an MVP already, but let's say the Gasol trade doesn't happen and LA finishes 4th or 5th in the west, does he still get it? Probably not. I think the MVP award should include both the regular season and playoffs

Kobe has done an outstanding job at playing team ball this year. I think he was done a fantastic job at making his team better. He still is the centerpiece for the Lakers and he is the teams most valuable asset. Young guys are still interchangable and tradable, but talent AND experience are hard to come by.

I didn't mention it in my first post here, but I am still sticking with Detroit and San Antonio in the finals, even though the Lakers and Hornets are just looking so freakin' good right now.

As for all of this MVP stuff..... I really like giving out individual awards. I think there should be some sort of player recognition in a team oriented game. And yes, Paul could make a very strong case for MVP, but Kobe just continues to amaze me, and it is really shocking that this is only his first MVP award. With that said, Paul will have plenty. And if the Hornets win it all, I'm pretty sure he won't really care about not getting MVP.