TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Backwards on Musik Expresses...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok this is the explanantion I got from the head of ride maintanence at Western Playland amusement park. They have an older version of Himalaya, which up to around 2000, ran their Himalaya forward and then backwards. I asked why they didn't run it backwards anymore and he said that the insurance rate goes up if they operate it backwards, and because it causes more maintanence problems.

Ok, I am the head of ride operations at a amusement center and we have a Wisdom Mini Himalaya (Ladybugs), and we run it full speed forward and then backwards. Something that happened was that the guide rail that comes in contact with the 2 Drive tires turned into an oval shape instead of being circular. Because of this the ride would lose traction and we were no longer able to run it backwards. It was a $2,100 fix . I was under the impression that the tires were the cause of the strange shape of the guide rail, but Wisdom told us that running it backwards sometimes causes that problem, which doesn't make any sense at all to me because it's the same as running it forward.

But as I have said before, Wisdom Rides are mechanical nightmares. They have decent ride concepts, but they have to many problems. We have a Cobra Coaster, Tornadoe, and Himalaya, and they all give us more problems than they are worth

And as for the Himalaya at Western Playland, the backwards experience was quite exhilerating. As it would come to a stop to run backwards, a loud siren would sound and everyone would scream as the ride satrted in reverse. That have since let ride fall in dispair

The Himalaya at SFKK runs backwards!

My favorite variation of the ride is that Caterpillar model. That thing scares the crap out of me every time, because of that "sideways" feeling you get when the canopy covers you!

But back to the topic...

^ Glad I could help . IMO Himalaya type rides are one of the best rides ever made. I was told back when they opened the ride at Western Playland, they had a DJ every Friday and Saturday night that would mix music and get the riders all hyped up. IDK if other parks did this as well or not. Western Playland would also hang posters of the big bands of the time all over the ride. But as I said before the ride has fallen in dispair, and is nothing more than a Himalaya in a shed with a weak sound system, crappy light effects, and lame ride cycle.... Oh well

• 2 months later...