TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pacific Park sold for $34 million

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Pacific!!! That's like the mother of all pier-based amusement parks(from a familiarity point of view, not a quality point of view)!

I would hate to see it be turned into something other than an amusement park. Then again there's a limited number of things you can stick on a pier, really,

Nevertheless, I still didn't get the credit, so... Keep it.

^ No it isn't. Pacific Park is like 10 years old, and is just an extension of the Santa Monica Pier. The pier itself has history, but Pacific Park is not a landmark in the least. I honestly think no one would miss the rides outside of the tv/film industry.

^ I was just going to say that.

Pacific Park is not a particularly spectacular amusement park. I been to some FEC's with more depth. On the other hand, plently of tv shows and films have used the park over the years. Its relatively non-descript look lends perfectly for those "establishment" shots you see all the time.

^ No it isn't. Pacific Park is like 10 years old, and is just an extension of the Santa Monica Pier. The pier itself has history, but Pacific Park is not a landmark in the least. I honestly think no one would miss the rides outside of the tv/film industry.

agreed. the park has mostly out-of-box flat rides and the one Morgan coaster that isn't maintained well. The place is always packed, but I think that's more of the fact that it's Santa Monica rather than the fact that it's a "park." I'd vote for a revamp, personally.

Exactly. No one comes to Santa Monica to visit Pacific Park, they want to go the beach or the pier, and the park just happens to be there. It's not something like Santa Cruz where the boardwalk park is essentially ingrained into the city.

Also, someone who builds a medium sized FEC with a small roller coaster and standard flats near Hollywood or Burbank would make lots of money off of location shoots alone.

Ah, my bad. I didn't realize the park was built after the pier, I thought they were both one and the same.

What's so special about the pier itself, then? I know there are other piers around that aren't as famous.

Yay!!! I am not a fan of Pacific Park and unless Cedar Fair buys it, the new owners will most likely make the park like 20 times better.

Edited by XII

What's so special about the pier itself, then? I know there are other piers around that aren't as famous.

Nothing really besides its association with Santa Monica, which is the "quintessential" So Cal beach city that most people think of when you mention California. The pier and the beach are not great, honestly up until they redid the pier with the rides, it was a run down bum/weirdo magnet.

If this goes into the wrong hands, I might NEVER get my West Coaster credit!

And FLIPDUDE, Venice used to have several amusemet peirs WAY back in the day that rivaled Coney Island. In the fifties, Pacific Ocean Park or POP opened, but all have closed. Pacific Park is a pathetic harkening back to the true historic boardwalks.

-Jahan

As lame as the park is I would hate to see it torn down. That coaster was my first "real" coaster, so it means a lot to me. I can remember going on it over and over. I was so proud to be going on a ride that was tall than the carnival dragon coasters.

So hopefully the park will stay open and end up in good hands.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...