TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pyramid Adventure indoor themepark moving forward!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So any word from Bass Pro yesterday? Did they decide not to pursue the Pyramid? Personally I prefer my theme parks without fishing/outdoor specialty shops.

I'm not so sure about that. Bass Pro Shops are the best THEMED stores I have ever seen. To take the theming from their stores and infuse it into a theme park, and include their signature restaurant: Islamorada Fish Co. would be a real winning concept IMO. (minus the shopping part of it, maybe just include the general store part as a shop within the park)

The south just needs some better and newer parks. I'm not knocking Beech Bend, SFKK, Dollywood or SFoG by any means, it's just there needes to be a bit more.

EDIT: Couldn't forget Lake Winnie, Atlanta's White Water, or Alabama Adventure here.

I couldn't agree with you more. It would be nice to see more diversity in park options. I just wish that someone would open a park here in Eastern North Carolina. I was happy to hear the Zippin Pippin was going to be moved to the Carolina Crossroads, but since that is now a dead idea, I am still being hopeful of something opening around here, even if it was the Raliegh-Durham area.

Hard Rock Park? It's not NC, but it's not that far from it.

Well whatever floats *YOUR* boat (pun intended) WildStangAlex. I'm just not into the whole outdoors fishing/hunting lifestyle which Bass Pro promotes. Now Hard Rock on the other hand...well it's the closest thing going to indie rock/post punk/alternative music and umm *MY* lifestyle going. I'd rather see Hard Rock get interested in Pyramid Harbor as it would seem better suited for Memphis to me.

Bass Pro made it semi-official yesterday, but nearly EVERYBODY is stressing over and over that nothing is final, and that everybody is still willing to look at the themepark proposal.

I'm not too worried because this situation (minus the themepark) has been happening for the past 3 years. It'll go silent and we won't hear anything about it until it's time to vote on it or Bass Pro backs out.

We'll have to wait and see what happens.

A vote is expected in the coming weeks.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=ACBJ&date=20080201&id=8131716

A Memphis City Council vote on Springfield, Mo.-based Bass Pro Shops' development agreement for The Pyramid could come as early as Feb. 19.

The city council will meet Tuesday (Feb. 5) and has the option of holding a special session to vote on the agreement, which was signed Thursday in Springfield. But Robert Lipscomb, project manager for the Pyramid Reuse Committee, says the council will not hold a special session.

Lipscomb would not elaborate further on any details of the agreement, saying that it must be presented to the council first.

"It is what it is and all we can do is present it," Lipscomb said. "It isn't like we've got a lot of options."

Another option that has been gaining momentum over the last couple of months is a proposal to turn The Pyramid into an indoor theme park that would include two new Downtown hotels and a shopping center. Redevelopment of Mud Island is also part of the plan.

Greg Ericson, president and CEO of marketing and entertainment company The Ericson Group Inc., most recently proposed a $250 million project with includes development in and around The Pyramid and on Mud Island.

On Sept. 26, Ericson first presented a Pyramid redevelopment plan, called Pyramid Adventure, to the Shelby County Commission, which showed a $150 million investment to turn the 1.5 million cubic-square-foot building into a theme park with a 250,000-square-foot retail component attached to the building's front.

Bass Pro, the city of Memphis and Shelby County first announced their deal in spring 2006, when Bass Pro signed a non-binding letter of intent to develop the building. Since then, the company has been involved in due diligence.

lol this is kind of funny now... On one hand you have an amusement park (might I add possible the 2nd mentionable park in Tennessee) and on the other hand you have Bass Pro Shop... which already exsist in Tennessee I think in 3 places (Oprymills, Memphis, and forgot the other one).... the point IS! This should be a no brainer! Bass Pro could not be that lucrative.

^ Exactly. The city already has a new, large one. (converted from an old walmart)

On the news last night the guy behind the themepark proposal said to poll anybody in the city and see what THEY want. I haven't talked to one person who has wanted just Bass Pro. Some people would like to see both, which would be fine with me!

The south just needs some better and newer parks. I'm not knocking Beech Bend, SFKK, Dollywood or SFoG by any means, it's just there needes to be a bit more.

EDIT: Couldn't forget Lake Winnie, Atlanta's White Water, or Alabama Adventure here.

I couldn't agree with you more. It would be nice to see more diversity in park options. I just wish that someone would open a park here in Eastern North Carolina. I was happy to hear the Zippin Pippin was going to be moved to the Carolina Crossroads, but since that is now a dead idea, I am still being hopeful of something opening around here, even if it was the Raliegh-Durham area.

Hard Rock Park? It's not NC, but it's not that far from it.

Myrtle Beach is about 4-5 Hours from where I live in NC. It's not a terrible drive, but it would be nice to have something in say, the Wilmington area which is about two hours from where I live, or Raleigh which is a bit more than an hour away.

While I would love to have a park here in Greenville that I could just go and visit anytime I wanted to, it will probably never happen because the only predominant businesses you see here in Greenville are retail stores and fast food chains! Other than that, East Carolina University and the Brody School of Medicine, there is not a hell of a lot here.

Guess I will have to make due with being about half way between HRP and BGE/KD (which isn't a bad thing)

• 3 months later...

Project called off.

After a proposal between the Ericson Group and Shelby County leaders expired at the end of March, Greg Eriscon confirmed to Action News 5 late this afternoon that his proposal to transform the vacant Pyramid into a theme park is off the table.

In an exclusive interview, Ericson blamed city and county leaders for dragging their feet.

Ericson said he had the financial backing to make the theme park plan work, but claimed the wheels of government were too slow for his company and its financial partners.

It didn't help that Bass Pro Shops was seen as the most viable option for the empty arena, he added.

I'm not surprised. Memphis, yet again, screws up.

Wow way to go Memphis! Well I gues I'll be staying on the east side of TN since there's nothing in the west that I care for.

So basically, they still don't know what they want to do with the available land?

^ I'm really trying not to get my hopes up on Ole South but I can't help but get excited about that, because it sounds like it would be very good! In the back of my mind I keep feeling like it's not going to happen...

So basically, they still don't know what they want to do with the available land?

I'm sure Bass Pro will get in within the next decade as they're already paying rent on the building...

Why? That's my only question here. The overall choice for the pyramid was the themepark. I don't see why they had to continually give Bass Pro a chance when they kept on delaying and delaying.

While Nashville Shores water park looked pretty good this past weekend, the area is just aching for a good park. I'd like to see Ole South happen.

Almost get the feeling the planners are keeping an eye on Hard Rock Park's success as a gauge for their own. So far, there doesn't seem to be any Pyramid Adventure Park type issues that could derail the project.

You're right. Tough not to get the hopes up. Keeping good thoughts on Splash Valley in Chattanooga as well.

^ I heard a few of yall mention Splash Valley and I've never heard of it until now. So i decided to do a lil search and its already broke ground and has a website! I had no idea this was going on! lol Congrats Chatt!!!