TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Cypress Gardens exceeds annual goal in five months

Cypress Gardens exceeds annual goal in five months

By MARK ALBRIGHT, Times Staff Writer

Published June 13, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reborn Cypress Gardens Adventure Park continues to confound the skeptics.

Rebuilt by Georgia entrepreneur Kent Buescher with the addition of a full plate of carnival rides, the Winter Haven tourist attraction zoomed past its first-year attendance goals by April, its fifth month. The folksy Buescher, who also owns Wild Adventures in Valdosta, Ga., projects the park will draw 1.5-million people through its first full year. That's twice the 750,000 he cautiously forecast to bankers last fall. The park got off to such a fast start that Buescher last week named George Vitello, a theme park veteran who had been his director of revenue in Valdosta, as his Florida park's first full-time general manager.

The appointment is a sign Buescher thinks Cypress Gardens has stabilized to a point where he doesn't need to fly in for more than a few days a week.

"Attendance by far exceeded all of our expectations," said park spokeswoman Alyson Gernert, confirming the park is headed toward profitability its first year.

Buescher planted plenty of seeds for Vitello to nurture into reasons for park patrons to make return trips. A water slide section of the park is supposed to open in July. A Halloween event called Phobia is being developed. The park's holiday Christmas Wonderland decorations are coming out of storage, and trucks are delivering the pieces for the park's second wooden roller coaster, which is supposed to be put together by next spring.

Buescher bought the Starliner woodie coaster from the condo developer who several months ago closed the Miracle Strip amusement park in Panama City. Cypress Gardens officials decline to reveal the price.

"They were really anxious to get rid of it," Gernert said.

I was a little bit sad when Busch sold off Cypress Gradens. Seems like they'll do just fine.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I know I keep ripping on the park, but I still just don't get it! Either they had really low expectations or my views of my fellow Floridians are really going down hill! There just isn't anything that good at the park, I can't figure out what niche they're getting all of these people from! I'm guessing it's the scary central florida hicks that can't afford going to the orlando parks (no offense justin!), but it still just seems odd to me.

No matter what I'm still happy for them...the better they do, the better chance we have of something really big and decent getting built there!

Elissa "maybe they'll put in my Captain America Hyper coaster!" Alvey

Do they have a lot of concerts there like they do at Wild Adventures? They likely boost the number of people that visit the park. Just a guess, as like you, I don't quite see anything at this park that would entertain anyone for more than an hour or two. And certainly not multiple visits...

dt

I think the fact that they have concerts and the ticket price is considerably less than the competition probably has something to do with it. The fact that they are about to open an included waterpark won't hurt matters either. It really seems that they are going to have to constantly add to the park though to keep people interested.

Wow, I'm very shokced .. but I think it's great For Kent and Wild Adventures. I haven't visited Cypress yet, but I think in a few years, it should be rather decent after seeing what he did with Wild Adventures in a few short years. Yes he likes Vekoma, but those 4 at Wild Adventures are some of the smoothest ones I've ridden, smoother than some B&M's and INTAMIN's even.

I think he has a good thing going, and having 6 coasters by the 2nd full year of operation is not a bad start at all.

Ok, I know I keep ripping on the park, but I still just don't get it! Either they had really low expectations or my views of my fellow Floridians are really going down hill! There just isn't anything that good at the park, I can't figure out what niche they're getting all of these people from! I'm guessing it's the scary central florida hicks that can't afford going to the orlando parks (no offense justin!), but it still just seems odd to me.

No matter what I'm still happy for them...the better they do, the better chance we have of something really big and decent getting built there!

Elissa "maybe they'll put in my Captain America Hyper coaster!" Alvey

I really wish you'd stop the CG hating -- or I'll start up my Disney hating again.... Here it goes: DISNEY SUCKS!

In all seriousness, Cypress Gardens offers a little bit for everyone... instead of a whole lot of junk to just ONE DEMOGRAPHIC. Face it, Disney Parks are all for Kiddies -- they've haven't got squat for anyone above the age of 12. I groan everytime the kids try to drag me to a Disney park. At least Universal/Islands/Cypress Gardens/Sea World have attractions for all ages.

...and there are more to theme parks than VOMIT INDUCING THRILL RIDES.... and C.G. understands that..... you don't seem to.... I'm old school -- and I'll take a conventional style amusement park over fake rocks/lame themed music/and dancing bunnies & mice any day.

Cypress Gardens may be a small park with limited offerings -- but its got a bit of everything. Its got shows, gardens, crafts and static displays/model railroads for the seniors. Its got concerts and thrill rides for adults. Its got a water park, 25 kiddie rides and 5 kid friendly roller coasters for the little ones.....

So, enough with the CG haters -- because there are many fans who are proving your views wrong with their wallets.

Hey good for CG! My son had a really good time at the park when we took him. Hardly any waiting, VERY low height requirements for the coasters. The shows could use a little work, but its still in development. Here's the 1 piece of the article that REALLY stood out for me:

...A Halloween event called Phobia is being developed.

I'm curious to know what THIS is gonna be all about! Geez THREE Halloween Events at major theme parks to attend every Halloween is getting a bit expensive, but I'm a sucker for this kind of thing!

The park's holiday Christmas Wonderland decorations are coming out of storage, and trucks are delivering the pieces for the park's second wooden roller coaster, which is supposed to be put together by next spring.

Buescher bought the Starliner woodie coaster from the condo developer who several months ago closed the Miracle Strip amusement park in Panama City. Cypress Gardens officials decline to reveal the price.

Looks like Florida's going to keep the Starliner too. My youngest brother is going to have to go down there soon. When he was five, he wanted to ride Python "for the credit", though I'm not sure how he will fare with the Vekoma rides.

Hey, I like CG!

As BB4Ever said, there's more to theme parks than vomit-inducing thrill rides. They aren't interesting to me at all, nor are they interesting to my 2 year old. There's plenty of fun stuff to do at CG, and it caters to EVERYONE.

Exciting news about the Starliner! I drove past the park yesterday and saw them assembling the Galaxy Spin coaster. It's going to be put in right behind the bleachers of Star Haven Park (the concert area.)

I dunno, I found the Vekoma coasters to be a bit rough. The Triple Hurricane was a bit fun as a smaller wooden roller coaster. We had a decent time at this park today, but I do have a difficult time with quite a few of the carnival-motion-sickness rides. I just prefer roller coasters, they dont make me sick. The park was clean and as someone said, there is something for just about everybody. The park was not very crowded, but many people did arrive in the afternoon for the concert. The parking lot was full.

^^ Yeah, I tend to avoid the entire area when there's a big concert going on. CG have to pay police to come traffic the area it gets so bad. (And it becomes a problem for people who live nearby -- they can't get to their homes!)

I read some rumblings about Winter Haven and CG working out a deal to change the public road that borders the main lot. That hopefully means they can pave the overflow parking and make it all one big lot. That should help with the parking situation (no more people walking accross that road. Splat!)

I dunno, I found the Vekoma coasters to be a bit rough. The Triple Hurricane was a bit fun as a smaller wooden roller coaster. We had a decent time at this park today, but I do have a difficult time with quite a few of the carnival-motion-sickness rides. I just prefer roller coasters, they dont make me sick. The park was clean and as someone said, there is something for just about everybody. The park was not very crowded, but many people did arrive in the afternoon for the concert. The parking lot was full.

Yeah, and six coasters by next year -- that would make about 45 total rides (including the splash island flumes).... Not bad since they had nothing in 2003.

I personally wise they would add a log flume.... the spinning rapid rides aren't my cup of tea. Awesome news about the Galaxy Spin... I've never been on a spinning wild mouse....

As for the Vekoma SLC -- the Swamp Thing rolls far smoother at Wild Adventures than the one they have at Cypress Gardens.... very odd, since they appear to be identical rides. I love Vekoma roller skaters like the Okeechobee Rampage.

You know with Triple Hurricane and Starliner -- Cypress Gardens probably has the best wooden roller coaster roster in the entire Southeast.

Boomer's wooden coaster in Dania, Florida is solid -- but it pales next to the Starliner. Gwazi is big, but not much fun. Cheetah at Wild Adventures is a blast, though.

I'm also heavily biased toward the Arkansas Twister at Wild Springs (after all -- look at my signature -- its my favorite wooden roller coaster from my youth: the coaster formerly known as Boardwalk and Baseball's Hurricane).

Yeah, and six coasters by next year -- that would make about 45 total rides (including the splash island flumes).... Not bad since they had nothing in 2003.

It just amazes me how they've transformed the place so quickly!

I personally wise they would add a log flume....

All in due time.

As for the Vekoma SLC -- the Swamp Thing rolls far smoother at Wild Adventures than the one they have at Cypress Gardens.... very odd, since they appear to be identical rides.

I noticed that too. And I rode Swampthing CG 4 times today.

I'm also heavily biased toward the Arkansas Twister at Wild Springs (after all -- look at my signature -- its my favorite wooden roller coaster from my youth: the coaster formerly known as Boardwalk and Baseball's Hurricane).

That's awesome. Just yesterday I was wondering what happened to that coaster at B&B so I looked it up on rcdb.com and found out it had been moved and renamed. Glad it didn't get thrown in a rubbage heap.