TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: My first Halloween Horror Nights Experience

On Friday, I had the pleasure of trying Halloween Horror Nights out for my first time ever with a few friends. The results were great and my overall experience was quite memorable! On Friday, we did 6 of the 8 houses and 3 of the 4 shows along with riding Men in Black once before we left.

Here are my writeups of the attractions I saw during my first visit:

Friday the 13th: Camp Blood- Our first house of the night which took place in the extended queue for Jaws. The house was a great warm up as it was still light out when we did it, making it easier to see the "pop-out" characters. The house seemed to end too soon though, and Jason appeared to closely to himself (at least 7 times in 4 rooms) to seem like a realistic chase.

Vampyr: Blood Bath- A pretty simple scarehouse with a few alley-way transfers between buildings... The scares were the lightest here and it didn't do all that much for me.

The Thing: Assimilation- One of my most anticipated houses of the evening partially because I loved the movie when I was younger. I was not disappointed, with this house being my favorite of the first three we did. The scares themselves didn't bother me much, because the effects are very similar to the movie, but the quality of the attraction was only paralled (if not surpassed) by Dead Silence's house.

Jack's Funhouse in Clown-O-Vision- My favorite house of the night, since it was in fact, Jack's house. This was my first ever 3-D house and I was surprised to find that some of the negative comments didn't coincide with my thoughts. The scenery and actors popping out at you really worked well together with the strange colors and effects mixed into the house.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure- My first time seeing the Bill and Ted's show came with alot of laughs and some great pokes at Disney, making it a really enjoyable experience. I didn't laugh at every joke (and I didn't seem to think Britney was portrayed well enough to make her the villain), but it still was a well done show that I would see again if I went back.

Psychoscareapy: Home for the Holidays- A pretty wacky house (at least for me). I thought the actors really made the house, as the scenery was somewhat average. I did get a kick out of the Santa in the fireplace joke...

Jack's Carnival of Carnage- This show's Jack was portrayed by the actor that normally plays Beetlejuice for the Graveyard Revue, so I knew he could pull it off! The show was alot of fun and worked well with the character, showing how insane Jack really is! I really think after see his show, I now "know Jack!"

Dead Silence: The Curse of Mary Shaw- The best themed house of the night seemed to be the longest as well, working very well from start to finish. The effects used in the house were extremely innovative and their use of sets really worked perfectly. Mary Shaw popped up in some many places inside of the house, it was great! If there were one house that I would consider perfect, it would be this one.

Freak Show- A very fun guest star event taking place near E.T. I recognized the guest star from a video I saw at Ripley's Believe It or Not years ago, so it was nice to see the "Regurgitator" again!

After that, it was time to leave, but I did take photos of the event during my visit...

IMGP0834.JPG.0ef75f84bafb6b31358d33c997438c8a.JPG

One of the portables on the backlot (near Jack's House) has Simpsons photos on each window.

IMGP0833.JPG.98a82c3100a83ee93226694432cbe792.JPG

The Thing was such a great house!

IMGP0832.JPG.421fba951c7569f1f38a48b054d926ef.JPG

Jack's show was really fun!

IMGP0829.JPG.ee310790ddc58b9219e1d62bd1c4b059.JPG

Vampyr wasn't too bad of a house- but it wasn't amazing either.

IMGP0826.thumb.JPG.15b0304a32b685765dcb3a18563892e2.JPG

This attraction time sign wasn't working when we passed it...

IMGP0824.JPG.16d347b929127bc605d75d54987de892.JPG

I miss the Back to the Future Store...

IMGP0823.JPG.c1e29d1e190a458505175ead562b5586.JPG

They really are getting a head start on selling the Simpsons merchandise!

IMGP0822.JPG.d919a16bada5c7cb1f4b0a75a286f681.JPG

Kwik E Mart is now open!

IMGP0821.JPG.96caac8d7a81ab43ae1621f81f59ada3.JPG

This year's rat-lady wasn't too interesting...

IMGP0820.JPG.6cce5e9ca7de1a67dafae1e2b8098747.JPG

I only saw a few of the "freaks" listed as a part of the Carnival of Carnage this time...

IMGP0817.JPG.887f498ec443b0024bc19032bb585e6a.JPG

During the day, this scarezone was dull, but at night, it was somewhat more scary...

IMGP0813.JPG.cce9ac9c7b4e311044821bccbc6607d9.JPG

Even more strange than the last...

IMGP0811.JPG.f64a2fe8062e906f8232a9ec1e6f6911.JPG

Weird.

IMGP0809.JPG.0864f07ef6c14a1d29737ebbd250f499.JPG

I love this 300 shirt!

IMGP0808.thumb.JPG.c472775d11efb6be9a25db5ea09bf77a.JPG

Me calling my doctor to check if my heart can handle this. (No, not really...)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scenery in Scareapy average? I think not...but I'll let it slid since it's your first HHN

All the houses had so much more detail than houses in the past. Vampyr maybe being the only exception, but it had some of it own unique features, i.e. Human chandelier.

EDIT: Also if he astronaut seemed out of place, he was from Jack's Funhouse. A few days into the event they added that cast to the streets until it is time for them to go into their house because of the lack of actors on the streets. And the motorcycle is supposed to be “ripped off” of a carousel.

^ It could be that I was so focused on not flipping out that I missed some details, and since I am going back on Thursday, I will do what I can to form a second opinion on each house to see what I think.

Here are the next set of photos from my first HHN experience...

IMGP0907.JPG.891fe0e504b7ebfb00e7f12de3cb2a53.JPG

Do you notice the small rings coming from this light effect? Bravo Universal, for intense levels of quality in this amazing event!

IMGP0884.JPG.e1c3b83fb1bfed8aa28451e60ec12038.JPG

Jack's Back!

IMGP0874.JPG.61680ba4eff442bd8b3fe4bd22862893.JPG

My first time seeing Mel's Die In open was nice!

IMGP0871.JPG.f120187315b9ca1996edc45b01f17f44.JPG

Dead Silence was probably the best house overall due to its perfect thrills, amazing quality theme and story and well used effects...

IMGP0869.JPG.fcd94cd0a645d12f57ac748f307a9e03.JPG

This animatronic figure sang songs like "Superstition" and a few others, setting the mood of the carnival midway.

IMGP0868.JPG.d1f3cc7c929227bcc5a657f4580c9b5a.JPG

Jack was even taking pictures during the night while he was running his Carnival of Carnage. To think that he could be in two places at once, Jack really is amazing!

IMGP0864.JPG.beba74cb11969fd1fd76cf76476a9c12.JPG

The wait time was a little less than 45 minutes, but the house was worth it, as it was so random, it was scary. Hearing some psycho yell "Turkey" over and over again was just icing on the holiday-flavored cake!

IMGP0863.JPG.8dc5091d654072d9e1c5ecf4d0d94bca.JPG

They had some sort of chair-balancing act going on near the entrance of Psychoscareapy.

IMGP0862.JPG.9b372ca8254844c137f8a0af9909964c.JPG

This was eerily entertaining to watch...

IMGP0859.thumb.JPG.cb115b0076b6fb6ccf251aded38acc60.JPG

I ran into this lady of the night when heading towards the front of the park.

IMGP0858.JPG.3ecaf8a0463ce406c34ab7ef8d085280.JPG

They used the Fear Factor theater to its fullest for the show. I loved the Back to the Future/Deloreon tribute in the show as well!

IMGP0856.JPG.54bb9842745de2a4f374d2f4a8548d03.JPG

We sat my friend down next to this seat during the show, resulting in her near-death experience with Rocky Balboa and his uncontrollable bowels...

IMGP0854.thumb.JPG.6c6019f4dae6d84a4e100572f1c96354.JPG

Excellent!

IMGP0853.JPG.3199b626c6483f826b623abefc6c441b.JPG

Its a shame you can't ride this...

IMGP0852.JPG.88c20d08b5cc375be154cdea799a91b5.JPG

Jack is such a great character!

IMGP0851.JPG.39bda52f24358f024106b193bd92dee4.JPG

Though I didn't get to do Dreamwalkers this time around, I had to get my hands on this Freddy mask for a quick photo.

IMGP0849.JPG.fb44ef8acd3062cdd75fc5da363bfe9a.JPG

While the outside theming is minimal, the inside is so vivid, you can't tell what is flat or what is floating due to the 3-D effects used...

IMGP0845.JPG.cb79e73c4c60a9593a11e505e4b44f50.JPG

Jack's Funhouse was so much fun (really, it was)!

IMGP0842.JPG.e53ea21624f8c4e842a712cd12a3744c.JPG

Do you see a face in that sheet? The ghost of Back to the Future makes an appearance at Halloween Horror Nights 17...

IMGP0841.JPG.d9da967c4e89da5e5a4250d331502338.JPG

This looked so strange sitting here... I would have thought that they could have dressed it up to give it that "traveling carnival" feel.

IMGP0837.JPG.23df4df521c8c8f29a8ea253d086930d.JPG

I still think its weird that they grabbed the Jurassic Park/ InGen truck for The Thing.

IMGP0836.JPG.69cf7d45e334ba53b44e91c6931080ca.JPG

So tempted to walk further towards this entrance, but I resisted such urges after seeing the cops nearby... I don't want to be the next "Don't tase me bro!" guy...

Psychoscareapy: Home for the Holidays- A pretty wacky house (at least for me). I thought the actors really made the house, as the scenery was somewhat average. I did get a kick out of the Santa in the fireplace joke...

Average scenery? That house has some of the best set pieces they've ever created.

This is probably one of the most scariest of all Halloween Photo Trip Reports I have ever seen! Every picture was scary especially the one with the Freddy Mask and you kissing Jack...literally probably one of the freakiest things I've seen in Orlando.

I nearly pissed my pants reading this report...good job jedi

^ I was there on friday night as well and got there right when the doors opened at 6. We were able to go through Dreamwalkers AND get 2 walk on rides for the Mummy within the first 30 minutes.

I'd have to agree that the Dead Silence house got the most scares from my group, although my personal favorite was the Thing house! The only ones we didn't get through were Vampyre and Camp Blood...and we didn't have express passes.

JT3000: I was so focused on what was in front of me, I'm sure I missed alot. I will be going back with my friends tomorrow night so I should get to see it in a better light this time around. Then, it is off to France!

JimmyBo: Glad I impressed you with my kissing Jack!

^^ and ^^^: The lines were fairly short at the beginning of the night with MIB at 5-10 minutes and the Mummy at 25-45. We only rode MIB though as we wanted to get as much of HHN done as possible, since we were all either team members or passholders.

As for the houses, I loved the Thing! The theming was great and it was a perfect extension of one of my favorite horror movies! Camp Blood and Vampyr weren't anything special in my eyes...

^ The bumper car does move around and the guy inside of it started to sobb a little (I'm guessing to add to his acts of insanity). I only saw one of these during the entire night, but its definitely possible that there were more. Tomorrow, I will see if I can find any extras...

I am going to Universal HHN on the 25th for the first time! i am so excited!! but i am starting to think i won't get to see a lot. I have heard that it is really really crowded. We have tickets to the park during the day and then the HHN too with the express pass, does anyone know how long you have to wait in line with the express pass? are the rides different at night than during the day? do they make them creepy or something or are they just normal?

thanks so much! any tips/advice are greatly apprecited!!

I am going to Universal HHN on the 25th for the first time! i am so excited!! but i am starting to think i won't get to see a lot. I have heard that it is really really crowded. We have tickets to the park during the day and then the HHN too with the express pass, does anyone know how long you have to wait in line with the express pass? are the rides different at night than during the day? do they make them creepy or something or are they just normal?

thanks so much! any tips/advice are greatly apprecited!!

Usually with the express passes you wait around 10 minutes. As long as you keep going and do not slow down too much you will easily be able to do all the houses. The rides are the same at night, no special Halloween theming.

Before I leave for France (in ten minutes), I wanted to give a small update on my return to HHN last night.

It was much more busy last night with wait times for the Mummy reaching 75 minutes and Dead Silence reaching 90 minutes. The only new house I was able to do was Nightmare on Elmstreet: Dreamwalkers. I thought the house was particularly scary, but they went a little overboard with the strobe effects, making it almost impossible to even see Freddy at certain points of the house.

I redid The Thing, Dead Silence, and PsychoScareapy but wasn't able to get into any of the shows, as they all filled up 45 minutes before they started. I wasn't nearly as scared this time around for any of these, so I had more time to look around and see the scenery. I take back what I said about Scareapy, because the theming was truly great! The experience this time around was much better (for the house) and I had a great time specifically that night.

I might take my cousin back one more time before Horror Nights closes for the year, so I might have another update after I return.

Someone else who enjoyed Jack's funhouse! I loved it whilst my friends hated it. The paint/3d effects worked really well, with several actors making me jump a few times!!!

By far, the best house for me was A Nightmare on Elm Street. I literally ran out of that house! As soon as you walk through the 'dream scene' and see the house i was just like oh crap... the mirrors got me bad as well!

Anyone else get terrified by the chainsaw drill team? They got me in broad daylight and still scared me. I hate them!!!

Great TR! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your experience. I went to it last weekend 4 nights in a row (3 of which I had an Express Pass) and got to go through every house a little more than 5 times. I have to say that this year there was no down-right "bad" house. They were all really good and provided some great scares. My favorite ended up being A Nightmare on Elm Street: Dreamwalkers followed closely by The Thing: Assimilation. The only house I was disappointed in was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Flesh Wounds because every time I went through, it always seemed understaffed and never reached its potential. I can't wait to see what next year has to bring!

BamaRob21