TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Some Advice on Californian Parks

Hi folks. I'm on a quick trip to California in September on my hols (vacation) from UK. Doing a bunch of stuff and will be based in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles. Have time to fit in two parks so going to do Six Flafs Magic Mountain and one more. Probably Universal Studios. Be grateful for any top tips on rides not to be missed and even rides / parks to avoid!

To give you an idea what floats my boat, my favourite coasters ridden are Kraken, Hulk and Nemesis. Favourite non coaster ride is any top spin thing like Rameses Revenge at Chessington.

Thanks!!

I will of course try to do a review of my trip.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can only go to two parks, or spend just two days at parks, I wouldn't miss Disneyland and California Adventure. If you can't make Disney, I would say go to Knott's instead of Universal if you're more into roller coasters than heavily themed rides, they have Silver Bullet.

I have a few tips. If you are going to Magic Mountain, plan on: being ditched in line, not getting rides on broken down coasters, and make sure you hide your wallet in deep pockets. It is a different kind of amusement park experience at SFMM.

I would say, hit Knotts and Universal. Both are family friendly, with some sweet coasters and themed attractions.. Definitely hit Universal.

Hope you have a good time!!!!!

Take some good pics for us to see:)

Here's how I rank SoCal parks:

1) Disneyland Resort. Totally the nicest in the area.

2) Legoland. So much imagination and fun.

3) SFMM. It's a dump, but it has a lot of credits.

4) Knott's. Also a dump, but less credits than SFMM.

5) Universal. Not enough attractions to justify the admission price. We were bored in an hour.

Crikey! Lots of varied opinions. There will be 2 adults and no kids on this trip. So I personally feel Disneyland will be pretty much the same as Magic Kingdom in Orlando and Legoland just a bigger version of Legoland in Windsor, England. Thats not a bad thing but I think they will be quite kid orientated.

Thanks for warnings about 6 flags. I am really keen to go on X and Tatsu so will be gutted if they are broken. Why is the park more prone to getting my wallet nicked than any other?

Never heard of Knotts so lookid it up online and its 50/50 with Universal. Again, did Universal last year in Orlando so as things stand it looks like day 1 Knotts, day 2 Six Flags.

One other question - how busy will it be on a weekday in September? The week Sep 6th to Sep 13th. I'm guessing kids are in school and there are no American holidays that week. Thanks again

Dont go to Universal, It gets boring quick. And like others had said there is just not enough to justify a $60 admission. Six Flags Magic Mountain gets a bad rep from the past and is really trying to turn it self around. Also X and Tatsu are really great, unique rides that cant be missed. Knotts is a great park, that gets put down way too much. They have some of the best Flat and water rides in southern CA, and they also have some great roller coasters. (Xcelerator and GhostRider) And they just opened a spinning coaster Sierra Sidewinder, that is also really good.

But if you want the absolute best experience go to the Disney Land Resort, Its a whole lot better than the Magic Kingdom.

Crowds should be on the light side when you go.

What ever you choose good luck, and have fun!

Crikey! Lots of varied opinions. There will be 2 adults and no kids on this trip. So I personally feel Disneyland will be pretty much the same as Magic Kingdom in Orlando and Legoland just a bigger version of Legoland in Windsor, England. Thats not a bad thing but I think they will be quite kid orientated.

I don't really think they're the same at all. Disneyland has a lot more Fantasyland dark rides than Magic Kingdom does, including Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. California Adventure has California Screamin', which is easily the best Disney coaster in the US. Pirates at Disneyland is 100x better than the crap one in Orlando. Disneyland has Indy, which there is no equivalent of at all in Orlando. And Space Mountain has been completely updated and rebuilt at Disneyland. Granted if you're not that into WDW in the first place, then maybe it's not the best place for you. But at least DLR has a lot to do, unlike a few of the other parks you're considering.

I am so tired of hearing people putting down SFMM. There is nothing wrong with it at all. I have been there yearly for the past 15 yrs and have never and I mean never seen any gang activity or was I ever in any harm. It doesnt make any sense what anyone says about this park. They do not offer discounts or free bus rides there if you are a gang member or thief. It is not located in the slums of Southern Cali. They do not give priviledges to crooks and the undesirable. That word FAMILY FRIENDLY is a bunch of crap someone made up. Family doesnt mean a bunch of rides that you have to be under 4ft to ride and a bunch of employees dressed up annoying you. If the people in a group are all over 20 and are related, they are still the same family as if there were 2 adults, 3 kids and a dog. You go and enjoy SFMM and trust me you wont be murdered. I doubt that gang members are actually planning on going to ride rollercoasters and not stay at home protecting their turf.

Sorry but SFMM is a great park and if you want to go and be bored, go to KNOTTS OR DISNEYLAND and ride a teacup.

Thanks for warnings about 6 flags. I am really keen to go on X and Tatsu so will be gutted if they are broken. Why is the park more prone to getting my wallet nicked than any other?

Never heard of Knotts so lookid it up online and its 50/50 with Universal. Again, did Universal last year in Orlando so as things stand it looks like day 1 Knotts, day 2 Six Flags.

One other question - how busy will it be on a weekday in September? The week Sep 6th to Sep 13th. I'm guessing kids are in school and there are no American holidays that week. Thanks again

It is not the park that will get your wallet, its the thugs that go there. I had a friend get his wallet pick-pocketed there. Another friend asked some kids to get in line instead of ditching and they wanted to beat him up. There is just a rough crowd there.

With that being said, the coasters do kick butt when they are open!

I'd say SFMM and Disneyland, or Knott's if you want another day of simple coasters. While DL is similar to Magic Kingdom (obviously...) the Matterhorn, Space Mountain, INDY, and if you spring for a few extra $'s, the big rides of DCA are damn great. That'd cost at least twice as much as Knott's though.

If you've been to Universal in Orlando, there's no reason to bother with Hollywood IMO. The only thing that's really unique to USH is the tram tour.

I am so tired of hearing people putting down SFMM. There is nothing wrong with it at all. I have been there yearly for the past 15 yrs and have never and I mean never seen any gang activity or was I ever in any harm. It doesnt make any sense what anyone says about this park. They do not offer discounts or free bus rides there if you are a gang member or thief. It is not located in the slums of Southern Cali. They do not give priviledges to crooks and the undesirable. That word FAMILY FRIENDLY is a bunch of crap someone made up. Family doesnt mean a bunch of rides that you have to be under 4ft to ride and a bunch of employees dressed up annoying you. If the people in a group are all over 20 and are related, they are still the same family as if there were 2 adults, 3 kids and a dog. You go and enjoy SFMM and trust me you wont be murdered. I doubt that gang members are actually planning on going to ride rollercoasters and not stay at home protecting their turf.

Sorry but SFMM is a great park and if you want to go and be bored, go to KNOTTS OR DISNEYLAND and ride a teacup.

You say your are tired of people putting down your park, but you have put down Knottsand other parks several times by saying it is boring and the rides are weak. Many people think the park is fun and the rides are good. So before you go and complain about peoples comments on SFMM, you need to check your own comments. People have different opinions and this site is about you being able to express those opinions. Do me a favor and don't be bitter, reconsider!

I would skip Knott's this time around. With Haunt constuction going on, you never know what will be closed. They currently have the log ride closed, and no one knows when that will re-open. Plus, the traffic from downtown LA to Knotts is terrible.

Don't let SFMM prior rep get in the way of going to the park. I've been going for 9 years since I moved here and not had a single problem with another guest. September is not as busy as the summer, so the odds are very good that the lines will be considerably less. If you can manage to hit it on one of their open weekdays (before Sept. 9th), even better. And since it sounds like you like B&M's, no better place with Tatsu (unique layout for flyers), Scream, Batman, and Riddler. Add in X, which is unique to the states, and our working Deja Vu, it's the best you can do for a coaster park here in so cal.

There is no mass transit to SFMM. So leave downtown LA early as possible. It's better to get to Valencia way before the park opens and have breakfast somewhere, than to attempt to fight rush hour traffic. One thing to know about SFMM is that parking is 15.

Universal is actually a good option considering your location. I would 100% take the subway from downtown to Universal. It beats fighting traffic and paying for parking. The day pass is 3 bucks, and if you complete Universal, they have the great Citywalk. If you complete Citywalk, the subway pass can take you directly to Hollywood/Highland, for the walk of fame, El Capitan theater.

When I went to SFMM, the only issues with the park I had was with the operations of it, and the crapness of the staff too busy chatting when there's people stuck in the restraint cos they stapled you in...

I didn't particularly enjoy my days at MM, so it depends on whether or not you think it'll be worth the credits, X is over-hyped deliciously and Tatsu puts serious strain on the legs in the pretzel loop... But due to these, the rest of the coasters (Goliath, Scream Batman) are bout 5 minute queues...

Universal is a fun park, the Tram Tour is naturally the main thing there, but you won't like RotM if you've been on the Orlando one, as that one is insanely better and more well-told, so it's up to you there...

Disney is extremely enjoyable, bar long queues for the Subs and due to the Subs, Matterhorn's Discoveryland side But Adventure is a fun little park, CS and ToT are the two best rides there, so it's worth-while getting a park hopper... Since as you're going in September I believe the schools would be inside so it could be empty...

Knott's is a nice park as well, just OTT on the rulings...

Hope you enjoy whatever you do though...

Ok, this is what I think you should do. Despite some of our negative experiences and views of Magic Mountain, they have some sweet coasters. Go there and make up your own mind about the park. You may find it to be a great time. If you are a coaster lover, you would have a lot better time at Knotts and Magic Mountain than at Disney Land and Universal Studios.

Universal has some kick a$$ rides too, but not coasters. I would make Disney the last park on the list.

BTW, the park is open both of those days. They were saying the kids are going back to school which means the park will be less crowded.

Let us know what you think of either park you visit.

Hope you have a great time.

I think by weekday he meant going between the tuesday and friday (monday is labor day), since the kids are back at school on those days. Obviously at the weekend they aren't and you can expect the park to be busier. As dude^ said its open both those days, however on the 8th there is the 'dia de celebracion', which is quoted from website as:

A day of our world-renowned roller coasters is topped off with some of the biggest acts in Spanish Christian music. Saturday, September 8.

Not sure if that will make it much busier or not, you might be better off going on sunday though.

I think by weekday he meant going between the tuesday and friday (monday is labor day), since the kids are back at school on those days. Obviously at the weekend they aren't and you can expect the park to be busier. As dude^ said its open both those days, however on the 8th there is the 'dia de celebracion', which is quoted from website as:

A day of our world-renowned roller coasters is topped off with some of the biggest acts in Spanish Christian music. Saturday, September 8.

Not sure if that will make it much busier or not, you might be better off going on sunday though.

Ok, I would definitely not go that day! I would rather go to the walk of fame, then go to Magic Mountain that day!

Well I hope you have a good time, you should'nt have jetlag too much on the way out from UK, as long as you get an early night and sleep well you'll be absolutely fine. Its flying back to the UK it becomes a problem. Asides which the park will probably be quieter on the 7th than at the weekend anyway so you'll get more rides in.

I didn't particularly enjoy my days at MM, so it depends on whether or not you think it'll be worth the credits

Umm, not everybody goes to theme parks just to get "credits", there is this concept of "going to have fun" I imagine with the limited time richo657 has that getting credits would be the least of his/her worries.

But I'd definitely suggest a trip to Disneyland, Stuff like Indiana Jones make it worth it and stand out more than anything Universal has. I have heard of people doing DCA and DL in one day sticking to the major rides in each park, and doing that is really worth it.