TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

? about hamsters...Not Donkeys

diggerg56

Hey Elissa-

What's been your experience with life spans of hamsters.? My kids had them for awhile but they never lasted more than 2 or three years.

Now they've moved on to rats of all things!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine have usually lasted slightly over 2 years. After talking to some vets, the average has gone down recently to about 18months, which is sad. By taking good care and playing with your hamster they can last about 2.5 years. Guinea Pigs will last almost 5 years if taken care of as well as you can...I'm thinking about one of those at some point!

Rats are cool, much smarter than most animals...but they're not as soft and their claws scratch me really bad!

Elissa "no more pets for awhile after RatTums!" Alvey

Yeah, rats are incredibly smart. We have 4 right now. 3 of them are sisters and the 4th is one that we rescued. Like Elissa said, they do tend to leave alot of scratch marks, but they're really great pets. My wife thought they were like the ickiest thing ever and it took years of convincing her that they weren't, but now she gotten to where she really likes them.

I'm getting a Hamster next Saturday. Any tips or advice? I really wanna develop a bond with this hamster so I can pick it up etc. I used to have a rabbit but it never really liked being picked up etc. Is this the same with hamsters? Or is it just a matter of time and developing a trust with the animal?

Also, I'm having a hard time trying to find a name. I'm thinking of something really geeky or weird. Any thoughts?

Make sure to get a cage that has wire sides (so there is a good amount of airflow), but also tubes and closed in places so the hamster can play and feel safe. Also he needs a wheel!

As for getting him used to you. Don't pick them up right away...let them smell your hands...feed him special food out of your hand so he associates good stuff with you. When you do pick him up, keep him close to your body so he feels safe...let him run around in certain blocked off areas. Get him a ball. You'll have so much fun. There are just some 'bad' hamsters out there, but if you treat them right they'll be great pets and want you to hold them!

Elissa "now I miss RatTums...time to go home and get him!" Alvey

We've had russian dwarf hamsters for many years now. Our most recent one passed away after just over 2 years recently, did well for a little fella. Ours have always lasted pretty well, but we were surprised this one did so well. It didn't run as much as others had, and it drank an awful lot of water, almost a bottle a day (only a small bottle!). It must've had IBS or something to mean it needed that much water, but it worked, and it lasted longer than any others!

I have a Guinea Pig, she is 3 years old, she is fat, hehe.

You just have to keep her well fed (she bugs you if you don't) and keep the cage clean, and sped time with her, and she'll be fine.

Mine was born on october 31st, and we called her jackie, hehe.

I've had my hamster for about 1 month. Make sure your hamster gets to know its cage well first, play with it everyday and give it a fresh food sometimes. Hamsters love fresh food and like it so they have a variety of foods. My hamster loves her snow peas. And remember this phrase I must tell my little sister who also has a hamster all the time "Every child gets mad at their parents sometimes just like every hamster gets mad at its owner sometimes."

Kevin"I must stop posting now and see my hamster"Bujold

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my hamster last Saturday and he rocks. His name is Binary, geeky or what. Anyway, I'm a little concerned, at the moment it's 30 degrees C here in Britain and I am worried that he will get way to hot and 'over heat' in his house. We got him a large house, cause he is sharing with my bros hamster, it has plenty of ventalation and is out of the sunlight however i am afriaid he will get to hot.

If a hamster does get to hot while asleep will it wake up? We keep checking them regulary but they are fast asleep.

• 3 weeks later...