• TT
    • TT
    • N
    • Z
    • On30
    • On3
    • On2
    • Other (specify)

Here is a timeline of events (without the times!)

1. We built a HUGE trainboard with TT scale (?) trains - the switchboard included over 15 switches for turnouts. Buildings, roads, lakes, and much more were in that set, but nothing fancy - you could still see the dry wall paneling underneath. We took this down a few years later.

2. After remodeling our basement, we set up a trainboard around our entire two new rooms. The train also did a turn through the wall between the new addition and an old hallway. Theming was never really set in place.

3. Lego Trains!

4. I got some HO Scale track and wanted to build a small trainboard for the longest time, but never got to it.

I think it'd be awesome to get a Z scale and make an amazing layout for it.

We still go to the train expo every year - there is some pretty awesome stuff. One time there was a HUGE layout with moving street cars (I think this was HO scale, so it was pretty cool looking!) and a drive in movie with a backlit LCD SCREEN! Coolest thing ever on a trainboard.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it worth it?

Well, ever since 1986 when I saw my first Z Scale I always thought it was cool. I have been an N Scaler, but recently it started to wane on me. Buying locomotives and rolling stock because they are limited editions rather than need. So last year I noticed that Micro Trains brought out the GP35 and it got great reviews (well who doesn't) from Model Railroader. So when I moved from London to Toronto I went out and bought the set. When I got it home and hooked up I was impressed with the overall detail and performance of this tiny locomotive. This year Z will see the GP7 from AZL and GP9 from Micro Trains and Micro Trains has announced that the SD40-2 will be the next locomotive after that.

Personally I'm glad I switched.

Okay that covers locomotives but what about track? Micro trains doesn't have a very large selection and Marklin thinks they can charge $20 for a 4 inch straight track and $40 for a turnout. Do you know of any other track dealers?

sorry for the Double post

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard spot on what to buy, my birthday being in a couple weeks, means gifts, and most importantly gift cards filled with assorted amounts of money. With this birthday being my 13th, most people arent going to know what to get me, and at an average of $20 to a card with six cards that is $120. So based on these estimates on the following friday, when i get my allowance, will give me $132 and the week after $144. Now should i buy some track to make a larger non-permanent layout, (i don't have very much track but enough to be nicely contented) or an athearn AC4400 and digitrax DH163PS decoder. So any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I am currently planning a 4x8 foot H0 scale layout. The trackplan is based on the "Red Wing Central" layout which can be seen HERE.

I have done some modifications to it. The red lines indicate track that I removed, blue indicates new track and green indicates where I will split the layout so that I can move it around easier. The lower green line will be raised a bit so that it doesnt come in conflict with any turnouts.

I hope to start building it soon. To practice making landscape and stuff Im working on a small diorama. Heres some pictures of how it looks at the moment:

My father started HO scale when he was a teenager in the '50s. He still has it and I have started to add on to the collection. Presently it is still in his house.

We use Marklin HO 3 rail equipment. Marklin is from Germany. Some of our engines and rolling stock date back to the late '40s.

• 1 month later...

I have an Ho scale layout. I am roughly 1/8 of the way done. I use Woodland Scenics' Mod-U-Rail system and it works very well! I have one straight and one turn done, out of 15 modules. I've been model railroading for about four years, and working on this project for two months. I enjoy it!

They come with 4 risers, and I don't know what size... They're the about length of the box (maybe 3 inches shorter) and each can fit one HO scale track or two N scale tracks. It comes with pre-made rocks, paints, basecoats, brushes, and a whole lot of scenery things. Trust me, if you were going to buy it, I would TOTALLY recomend it! (It's worth you're money if you don't really have a ton of scenery supplies and don't have alot of time on your hands. Otherwise, it turns out just like real!)

Here are some photos of my layout in progress:

bb2.JPG.541f1164f647e5d2568ec1e159c5fc27.JPG

Overview of what this layout should look like when it's done.

bb6.JPG.f976b9e97ea794762ec7e79f5e37be43.JPG

These are some supplies that you don't need to buy, but help to make it go easier. If you plan on buying modules, I HIGHLY recommend buying the Woodland Scenics Hot Wire Foam cutter and the Low Temp. Foam Glue Gun. They really help!

bb5.JPG.71e540ded32c04f9524018f3238cc955.JPG

Another shot of the straight module.

bb4.JPG.a2136c7760e44a1f94c5802419af0fac.JPG

bb1.JPG.9dcce9a1da6a84e34560e2dcd1ff998b.JPG

This is how a corner module looks in progress.

bb3.JPG.9fe4c6b034340d79d56e47fac620441f.JPG

bb.JPG.2c0942f496253730a39f957364aa0f0c.JPG

Shot of the completed straight module. It leads into a HUGE turnaround. The modules bolt together easily, and it's very fun to build!

Yeah, they are actually pretty tight, but this turn is the tightest, and runs fine with GP38's and small engines like that. In the instruction booklet, it comes with a full sheet of cutouts like turn raidiuses (circles that you trace on that model sheet) switch radiuses, and module sections. I'm pretty sure most of my turn radiuses are 8", except for this first one. It's actually the exit fo the turnaround. Each little tiny square on that sheet is one square foot, BTW. I'll post some pics of my models soon...

• 4 weeks later...

I dont have a layout (yet) so I decided to put my trains up on the wall. We had to custom make the shelf to fit the long trains. Plexiglass is going to be added on the front.

As you can see, I need a "few" more freight cars...