TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

For fans of the Intamin Flight Trainer

My first trip to Lotte World, the line for the Gyro Swing was 3 hours 30 minutes plus. (I skipped it, thanks!)

At Seibu Yuenchi's Loop Screw, each row of seats in the queue area has the same number of seats as the train. Each row has a separate entry and exit gate. The ops open the gates manually, but once your row is boarding, you can choose your seat. (As long as you're not the last person.)

The worst line jumpers I ever saw were for Colossus at Heide Park in Germany. I counted at least 30 or 40 kids that were just pushing, climbing and scrambling through the switchbacks full of people over and over again. The ops claimed that there was nothing that they could do. The only justice served was when the ride went down and 95% of the folks left the queue. About 5 or 10 minutes later the ride reopened, and I ended up on the second train after the restart. Some of those same kids pushed their way back on to even that train.

• 9 years later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The flight trainer (joystick controlled) PGA used to have was called 'Skyhawk.'

Yes, I know I'm bumping this thread by 10 years... HOWEVER, couldn't help but notice that the ride at PGA (now CGA) was called sky hawk.

I wonder if CF/CW drew any inspiration from their sister park when naming their modern take/reboot of this classic ride? (Gherstlaur sky roller).

• 1 month later...
The flight trainer (joystick controlled) PGA used to have was called 'Skyhawk.'

Yes, I know I'm bumping this thread by 10 years... HOWEVER, couldn't help but notice that the ride at PGA (now CGA) was called sky hawk.

I wonder if CF/CW drew any inspiration from their sister park when naming their modern take/reboot of this classic ride? (Gherstlaur sky roller).

Yes, I had wondered the same thing when Canada's Wonderland had announced that they were adding Skyhawk, which is a Gerstlauer Sky Roller. I do like the name regardless of where the inspiration came from.

^If Skyhawk proves successful at CW, it would not surprise me in the slightest to see more Sky Rollers pop up, at the very least, at the Cedar Fair parks that once had a Flight Trainer. Think about it...

-Knotts had one called XK-1. Put one in Windseeker's old spot and call it XK-2.

-Kings Island had one whose location is empty to this day.

-California's Great America had one whose location is only occupied by a basketball game.

-Kings Dominion had one, and while its former location is occupied, there are multiple spots in the park I could see it fitting in well.

There may be others I'm missing, but I think you get the point. Given CF's current agenda of finding "vintage" flat rides for its parks, I can see these fitting in quite well as throwbacks to the Flight Trainers. As a ride experience variable by the rider's actions, I imagine the Sky Roller could be the next big thing to find its way into many of CF's parks, now that Flyers will (as of 2016) be present in each one.

^If Skyhawk proves successful at CW, it would not surprise me in the slightest to see more Sky Rollers pop up, at the very least, at the Cedar Fair parks that once had a Flight Trainer. Think about it...

-Knotts had one called XK-1. Put one in Windseeker's old spot and call it XK-2.

-Kings Island had one whose location is empty to this day.

-California's Great America had one whose location is only occupied by a basketball game.

-Kings Dominion had one, and while its former location is occupied, there are multiple spots in the park I could see it fitting in well.

There may be others I'm missing, but I think you get the point. Given CF's current agenda of finding "vintage" flat rides for its parks, I can see these fitting in quite well as throwbacks to the Flight Trainers. As a ride experience variable by the rider's actions, I imagine the Sky Roller could be the next big thing to find its way into many of CF's parks, now that Flyers will (as of 2016) be present in each one.

Yes, my thoughts exactly! I had mentioned this on Theme Park Review's Facebook page this morning when I saw the Gerstlauer Skyroller post.

That is a great idea to see it go to other parks, hopefully the smaller ones too. MA, Dorney, Valleyfair all can benefit from any kind of thrill ride addition.

Yes, it would be great to see as they have a rather small footprint and are very thrilling. Also, they can be any height for different parks that are looking for a more or less intense ride. I hope the Gerstlauer Sky Roller will take off in the same way that the Larson Flying Scooters (and other Flying Scooters) have at all the Cedar Fair parks.

The Sky Roller's footprint isn't as small as you think it is. In fact, most of Gerstlauer's flat rides have larger footprints and flight paths compared to those of other manufacturers.

South Koreans are the Kings of line jumpers. They will line jump when there is only a trainload of people waiting to ride a coaster.

Yep, I agree with this. "My whole family needed the bathroom for 60 minutes except me and how dare you not let them pass when they all magically show up just as I get to the station." Korean staff/park's explanation always tends to be along the lines of "Please understand our culture," even when they have signs saying it's not allowed.