TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Zippin Pippin moving to North Carolina

Zippin Pippin to roll east

Coaster will be moved to N.C. amusement park

By Michael Lollar

Contact

October 28, 2006

Dolly Parton expressed an interest, but Elvis Presley's favorite amusement park ride, the Zippin Pippin, is headed for North Carolina.

Nashville partners in the Honky Tonk Hall of Fame bought the roller coaster at auction in June and said Friday they sold it to the tourism bureau in Roanoke Rapids, N.C.

Stephen Shutts, president of the Honky Tonk Hall of Fame, said the North Carolina town is developing a project, called Carolina Crossroads, similar to Branson, Mo., and Pigeon Forge, Tenn., with music and high-end shopping themes.

"They were most intrigued with the Elvis Presley connection and have plans for a quick dismantling and relocation of this wonderful piece of American history," Shutts said, adding it could begin in early winter.

He said the wooden coaster, installed in 1923, will be dismantled and reassembled in its new location near the North Carolina-Virginia border. It will be part of an amusement area including a 1,500-seat music theater in a 1,000-acre park.

Shutts declined to say how much Roanoke Rapids paid for the coaster. He and his partner paid $2,500 for the Zippin Pippin in June, and he said flying in prospective buyers to survey the ride soon "turned it into a $25,000 roller coaster." While he said he did not lose money, he would not be specific.

Shutts said country music superstar Parton, who operates Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, was interested in the Pippin because of its connection to Elvis. But he said Dollywood would have had to rearrange its layout to accommodate the 3,000-foot Pippin and soon realized it would "cost millions."

Denise Parkinson, founder of a Save Libertyland coalition, said Friday that Memphis should "make a counter-offer" in hopes of saving the Pippin.

"Memphis is losing an opportunity to create our own vintage rock and roll park."

Meanwhile, she said vandals are cutting fences to gain entry to Libertyland, stealing copper wiring from the remains of the park. It closed in 2005 after several seasons of falling attendance and financial losses.

100_0860.JPG.6319a0074dcab0837e22b4b33b0b480d.JPG

Taken June 2006

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let just hope this doesn't turn into another lost hope like Thunder Eagle or even at this point the way it is going, Starliner. I really do question how much of the structure will be reuseable. Many people don't realized that when a wooden coaster is moved (particularly older ones) very little wood is reused but all the machinary as the lift hill stuff, the brakes, and of course the train(s).

Great to hear some "Elivs" history gets saved.

How far ( in miles) does the coaster have to be moved..?

$25,000 is a bargin for a woodie, I would of bidded for it if I lived near-by.

Put some "NAD" trains with full working headlights on it

Let's hope the "vandals" do not decide to light a "fire" under the woodie, get it moved as soon as possible.

A link to it's new home:

http://www.carolinacrossroads.com/

I can't wait till it opens! I can finally sit at home, and think to myself "I need a coaster ride!" and actually get in my car, go ride ZP and be home within a few hours! This is great for the region, especially since the carolinas just lost two parks (Pavilion and Grand Prix). Who wants to join me for the opening of this one!?

Verticalzero - According to Mapquest it is about 812 miles, which makes sence since it has to go from western TN to Eastern NC