TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do we need to have OHR on Coasters

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are many rides that could easily be devoid of OSTR's. Many B&M looping coasters could simply have lap bars a la Chiller. Most Schwarzkopf loopers don't need OSTR's at all. I could see companies getting creative and making lap bars for inverted coasters.

Maurer Sohner had a huge flop when they debuted the X-car coaster at Drayton Manor. The restraints were the main complaint. They hurt, and are uncomfortable. On top of that, the ratchet system only works one way so during the ride the lap bar actually comes down further, which is just a huge injury waiting to happen.

While lap bars work for some coasters you can see that they do not work for all coasters. Mostly it just boils down to the safety regulations in the area. Revolution wouldn't have OSTR's if it weren't for the California safety regulations, for example.

im not sure wether it would be safe. and half of the point about inverters is that they are twisted because and making an airmachine inverted wouldnt be such a good idea cos only the front seat has a good view forward and that would wreck parts of the xperience.

but also ostr is a lot more accomodating for larger people(mostly american problem) and of course its an extra safety measure.

What if the restraint was on the bottom of the seat and curved upward towards the person in the seat?

i think that would increase the loading timer extremely beacuse riders would have climb over the restraint.

and with a skyhawk like restraint would increase the risk of slipping out of the seat as those are not folding around you like hypers

i think that would be the best alternative to OTSR but still i think OTSR is more accomodating and lapbars very much limits the layout of the track. because of laws given by states for rides.

and b&m OTSR is the easyest for the guests to understand so dispatches can go faster.

^^^

You can do an inverted coaster with lapbar, just not like doing ay rolls, corkscrews, dive loops, etc. The things you can do in overbanked turn, Vertical loops without problems. Also lapbars on inverted coasters may give the best way to have airtime.

^^^

You can do an inverted coaster with lapbar, just not like doing ay rolls, corkscrews, dive loops, etc. The things you can do in overbanked turn, Vertical loops without problems. Also lapbars on inverted coasters may give the best way to have airtime.

jeah but dont you loose most of the poitn with a inverter? they are supposed to be tiwsted and inversed. so not beeing able to roll would loose most of the poin i think

^

I kind of see what what you mean.

My idea of inverted is just a way you ride the coaster, that you would be under the tracks with your legs dangling. Doesn't necessalrily mean you have to go through inversions and twists, to count the ride to be an inverted coaster.