TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Riddler's is pretty good, some people hate it, but it's my favorite B&M layout at the park. Scream is pretty awful, very rattly and extremely boring. Though if you sit in the front seat right side, you can have a decent ride on it. Superman is also a pretty boring ride, it has an extremely slow acceleration, and the 'weightlessness' really isnt all that much.

How are Riddler's Revenge, Scream, and Superman the Escape? I never really hear anything about them. They all seem like they would be headliner attractions at other parks.

Riddler's Revenge is a great ride! Some people don't care for Stand-Up coasters so I see why you haven't really heard anything about it. The layout is long and never dull!

Scream! is a fun ride, but in a lame setting. It's lack theme and atmosphere. I think it could easily be a stand out coaster at a smaller park.

Superman The Escape is also a fun ride, but it's not too thrilling. The launch is a little on the weak side and the weightlessness doesn't make up it. I try to ride it when I visit but usually skip it because of it's low capacity/long line.

^ It does, too! You can see mountains in the distance.

I like Scream!, parking lot or not. Sure, it has that rattle before the first loop, but I've had no terrible rides on it. It's funny how no one ever mentioned that Colossus is a parking lot coaster, too. The lines are faded now, but at one time, they were as prominent as the ones under Scream!

Eric

^How pathetic am I if I laughed at the 2nd part of your post?

^^Colossus is a pretty lame ride, it's not necessarily rough, which is a good thing, but it's just kinda there. Not very thrilling, not memorable, nothing to write home about.

EDIT: Just saw EBL's advice in the rant thread...good advice!

\ / Must. Resist. 15. Year. Old. Mind. Urges.!!!

^How pathetic am I if I laughed at the 2nd part of your post?

EDIT: Just saw EBL's advice in the rant thread...good advice!

\ / Must. Resist. 15. Year. Old. Mind. Urges.!!!

Advise - Cold shower

^Speaking of Which, how is Colossus?
Slow, boring, and pointless.

You know, Colossus might be one of the tamer "big" coasters at Magic Mountain, but to me it will always be the parks icon. Well, that and Revolution.

The last time I rode Colossus, it had quite a bit of airtime in the back row. The only downside to it was every time we went into a drop, my thighs would slam into the lap bars and it was pretty painful. Other than that, I like the ride. It's not amazing, but it's not bad, either.

^^^ Having ridden Colossus in its original form, there was no "supposedly" in its thrills.

It is a shadow of its former self, but it is still a good family ride that can give a little kid his first taste of a "big" coaster. If I could make any change to it, I'd get some new trains first. Secondly, if the park isn't going to run three trains on each/either track, then restore the double down on the parking lot side.

Eric

Am I the only one who has never experienced "good" airtime on Colossus? I've been on the ride plenty of times and I can't remember a single ride with anything over very mild airtime. Terminator has stronger moments.

Am I crazy??? I seriously feel like I'm in an alternate universe when people are complimenting the airtime on Colossus.

New here, hi!

Nope, no airtime on Colossus for me either no matter where I sit.

It's cool if it's walk-on, but it's way slower than when I first rode it in the late '80s. It's got some nasty brakes all over it now (presumably to reduce wear and tear) and it barely even makes it around the last turn -- I mean we're talking like 10mph tops!

It's rattly and shaky in an awesome old-school kind of way, though!

Never noticed the rattle on Scream -- I actually like that ride more than the other B&M's at the park.

^Actually there aren't brakes all over Colossus...the only brakes besides the saftey and ready brakes (located before the station) are at the MCBR. While the slowing on the midcourse can be harsher on some days more than others, there are no extra brakes out on the course.

Considering the rattle those Morgans provide in regular operation, I don't think I necessarily want a faster ride on the thing.

^ Your last sentence is why the Morgans have to go. I don't know what their service life is supposed to be, but nearly 23 years' worth of rattling should be enough.

BUT...

Before anyone says it, we already know that there are other things that SFMM needs to do. As long as these trains "work," they'll stay.

Eric

As long as these trains "work," they'll stay.

The sad truth.

But you know, it's funny how some newer rides (like The Voyage) get new trains so soon after opening. (actually, come to think of it, Colossus did the same thing shortly after it opened).

Perhaps one of these days they will restore the ride. But who knows if or when that will ever happen. Until then, questions like these will still be asked.

^^^

Yeah, I think you're right.

Maybe it's that the trains feel like they're moving slower around the track than what they were originally designed to do? Even that turn-around after the first drop feels much slower than I remember it being in the past. It's like "come on, you can make it!"

I don't ride it that often anymore, but every time I do, that MCBR is on super-harsh -- like rib-breakingly harsh.

It's still a beast however, just in its own neutered and elderly way.

Even that turn-around after the first drop feels much slower than I remember it being in the past. It's like "come on, you can make it!"

Maybe they could incorporate Colossus into a new kiddie area and rename the ride "The Little Engine That Could"

EDIT -

^I think you need to add boobs somewhere in there

FIXED