TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Anybody else watch hockey? (Amazing VID INSIDE!!)

canada

One thing that impressed me about that video was his puck skills when he had those water bottles and just random pucks lying around and he never touched one of them. Also when he had the three pucks down, everything was so smooth.

I wish I could toe drag that beautifully.

And when he was backhanding pucks with one hand. That is almost impossible to do. I can only think of how strong a wrist he has.

Also true story here, after one of the practices in the morning with nobody left in the arena Kovalev took a tiny hockey stick and started roofing pucks into the top of the net.

He had not noticed that there was one reporter left at the top of the arena and that reporter just couldnt believe his eyes. He ran down in amazement and asked Kovalev what he was doing. Kovalev told him not to tel anyone but he wasnt actually trying to roof the pucks, he was trying to throw them on TOP of the net!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question: What's the word on Newbury? Back in the lineup, missing a few games, or obituary?

Nothing serious. No concussion, and he'll be back in like a week.

I only watched a couple minutes of that Kovalev montage. I got annoyed by the video showing the same play 10 times each. We saw the nice goal, don't show it us 10 or 20 times.

Crosby is never coming to Toronto. To get a player of that calibre Toronto would have to fall to last in the league for a few years. And that's not happening anytime soon.

Crosby is never coming to Toronto. To get a player of that calibre Toronto would have to fall to last in the league for a few years. And that's not happening anytime soon.

Thank God...

I never really understood the draft system. Does that mean that Buffalo or Nashville would get the last picks?

I never really understood the draft system. Does that mean that Buffalo or Nashville would get the last picks?

Yes, though that's only part of it.

The draft goes in opposite order of points. So the team that has the most points will draft 30th.

Though the 14 teams that don't make the playoffs are drawn in a lottery to see the draft order. So the teams that missed the playoffs can draft anywhere from 1st to 14th.

Now to confuse things even more teams that get draft pics via trades draft at the position that the original team would have.

So say Philly trades Toronto it's 1st round draft pick. Toronto would draft wherever Philly would have. (which would end up being one of the first few pics).

Clear as mud?

^Not to mention if Satan, er, Gary Bettman were to add another God-awful expansion team to, say, Buttcrack, Arkansas or some other non-traditional hockey town, then there would also be an expansion draft to further confuse things. But here's hoping that never happens again.

Scott "Is my bitterness towards my once-favorite league apparent?" B.

Here's the quandry with the NHL today...it's true that they can't seem to stop giving teams to Southern cities that don't care about Hockey, and it's no boost to attendance or viewership...on the other hand though, they can't really stay where they have been, because as sad as it is for me to say, the North is dying.

People keep leaving because they're sick of the cold, and companies keep leaving because of the rising taxes, taking jobs with them, and the only solution Northern leaders can come up with is to keep raising taxes. NHL teams can barely afford to exist in a lot of these cities even more.

America today is all about the South, and everyone has to adapt, even the NHL.

^ While I agree with most of what you posted, I truly feel that the biggest mistake the league ever made was trying to compete with the other "Big 3" sports on the same level. The NHL, and hockey in general, will ALWAYS be a niche sport compared to football, baseball, and basketball. For starters, it doesn't translate well to television. Secondly, it's expensive both to play and to attend an NHL game. While the southern cities which received teams initially will support them, the attention will undoubtedly turn to other avenues if their teams don't continue to produce Cup-worthy teams.

That was never the case in northern hockey towns. Before expansion watered down the talent pool, and long-established teams including the original 6 moved into new buildings, sellouts were the norm for most popular northern cities and Canadian teams.....regardless of their record. Sure, there were some exceptions, but for the most part, it was a hardcore regional thing that thrived on the "small market" viewership from Hockey Night in Canada, ESPN, etc.

In comes Satan (Bettman) from the NBA, and immediately he thinks he can bring the marketable NBA mentality to professional hockey. What followed was cities stealing teams from Canada, glowing pucks, horrid "alternate" sweaters, cheerleaders (yes, Tampa started that crap), T-shirts being launched into the stands to stimulate families, and escalating ticket prices. Naturally, that lead to agents and players demanding more, labor disputes, a tainted half-season Cup victory for New Jersey, and the ultimate crime of one whole season lost to greed.

If the league had just stayed in their element, and not tried to think they'd be as big a draw nationally as the "Big 3," then I'd still be looking forward to watching several games a week on ESPN with their great coverage. Thanks again, Gary.

I think you're right, now that I consider things more carefully...Hockey was always a niche sport at best, and it was foolish to even try to compete with other sports on their level...hopefully Betman will get the boot at some point, and a new guy will come in with the good sense to scale things back a little.

America's TV sports coverage is bloated today anyway...I think Hockey always had most of its appeal as a low profile sport.

I love hockey and the Penguins! Their my home team. However it's only every once in a while I get sick of the hype surrounding Crosby just because their are so many other talented players on our team such as Fleury( my favorite), Armstrong(who I consider my cousin just because he has the same last name as me), Whitney, and others.

Good video- I even liked the music. No question Kovalev is a great player- his stats are impressive, and his puck-handling is great.

I am a hockey fan- my team is the Avalanche, who, sadly, are having a sucky year. Probably because they've lost the best goaltender of all time (Patrick Roy) a few years ago, one of the best defensemen, Rob Blake, and my favorite and who I think is the greatet player in the world, PETER FORSBERG. I love Peter, as you can tell- I named my pug after him. Sadly, Peter is not doing so good himself this season w/the Flyers, as he has a bad foot.

I live in Pittsburgh, and am not a Pens fan. And yes, I'm tired of hearing about Crosby even though he seems to have brought some much-needed life to the team.

I love the Penguins, I could never see too much of Sidney and the Penguins...

It's a shame though that the team might not even stay in Pittsburgh. As time passes the teams future in Pittsburgh starts to get bleaker and bleaker.

As much as Bettman ruined the league with expansion, I don't think he'd be foolish enough to go that route again.

The league is only now getting back onto a semi-stable footing. The owners aren't going to go with expansion again.

They should start moving some teams out of the south and up north where they belong. Winnipeg deserves to have an NHL team more than Phoenix,Atlanta, Tampa, etc.

I was so happy when we got Forsberg but he never played as well here with all his injuries. I hate the pens but Crosby is a talented kid and I'm glad Mario wants to keep the team in Pittsburgh. The deal they could of had in Kansas city tells you they aren't going anywhere soon. OK maybe Oklahoma unless Ed Rendell can help figure something out. The only thing left in Philly to root for is a #1 draft pick. Somehow they will mess that up too.

I'm glad Mario wants to keep the team in Pittsburgh. The deal they could of had in Kansas city tells you they aren't going anywhere soon.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

After the city dropped the ball on th arena deal Mario stated he was interested in moving the team.

That franchise is still on very thin ice.

They should start moving some teams out of the south and up north where they belong. Winnipeg deserves to have an NHL team more than Phoenix,Atlanta, Tampa, etc.

Truer words have never been spoken. And I'm pulling for this Crosby kid more than ever, simply because he may be the only hope Pittsburgh has of keeping the Pens.

^ True dat.

The Pens are STILL on very thin ice. The state is now involved and I fear that if they do not start working something out soon, then the Pens are history. To an area that has already lost so much business and residents, this is huge.

It is obvious that they want to stay in Pittsburgh (seeing as what Kansas city is willing to offer), but time is running out.

I just wish he'd stop whining and going down like he was shot when clipped. His diving is taking attention from his skill.

Further proves my theory that "hockey" = "soccer on ice"

except the hooligans are both on the ice and in the stands

I just wish he'd stop whining and going down like he was shot when clipped. His diving is taking attention from his skill.

Further proves my theory that "hockey" = "soccer on ice"

except the hooligans are both on the ice and in the stands

Diving isn't quite as bad in hockey as it is in soccer. Remember that hockey is a contact sport. So there's less there to fake. Soccer you're not able to hit anyone, so it's easier to dive. A hockey player can't dive when he gets laid out at center ice by a clean hit.

Though it's a fine line. They call everything now to try and get rid of the clutching and grabbing that was rampant before the lock out. But with that comes more diving. It's not perfect.

What I want to see happen is the instigator rule get removed. That rule only protects cheap shot artists. If someone gets taken out by a blatant knee he deserves to get his ass whooped.

I'd be sad to see the Penguins go...however, I'd see an upside, if they ended up in one of the other cities that Lemueix reportedly has on his list...Hartford, CT.

If this meant a return of the Hartford Whalers...well, then I wouldn't be quite so sad, as they're another NHL franchise I've missed for years.

I'd be sad to see the Penguins go...however, I'd see an upside, if they ended up in one of the other cities that Lemueix reportedly has on his list...Hartford, CT.

If this meant a return of the Hartford Whalers...well, then I wouldn't be quite so sad, as they're another NHL franchise I've missed for years.

That would only work if they traded Crosby, Stall, and Malkin. The league would never put a winning team back into Hartford.