TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

If Pinfari would have survived...

Do you think that they would have evolved and become a better roller coaster manufacturer? Let me explain what I mean. Look at Zierier, they're mostly known for making the Tivioli kiddy coaster model that can be seen in parks all over the world. Then in the 2000s, they arrived on the big coaster scene with rides such as Wicked, Polar X-Plorer, Verbolten, and now Impulse, all of those coasters are ranked pretty high among enthusiasts.

Another company that really evolved was Vekoma. They were at one point, infamous for making really rough, uncomfortable rides. Now they've made rides like Expedition Everest, Battlestar Galactaca, and the Seven Dwarves Mine Train.

Do you think that if Pinfari didn't go belly up and survived into the 2000s and 2010s, would they have followed Zierier and Vekoma and evolved into a respected company in the roller coaster world? Would they have stopped manufacturing those old, rickety peices of crap and started making rides similar to Euro-Fighters and LSM launched coasters?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. IMO, Pinfari would have stuck with the low-budget niche. There would be some innovations on their end of course, but I don't think they would try to compete on the level you're talking about. They had a pretty solid footing in the low-budget area, and I'm not sure if there's anyone else at the moment who can fill that niche quite like they did. They would mostly be competing with Gerstauler and Zierier (sp?), providing much cheaper thrill and family coasters to small parks and traveling fairs. I'm thinking they could provide new coasters for half the cost or less of what those two are selling rides for. Pinfari was innovating a bit at the end - just look at their compact SLC. Sure, their rides were mostly horrible, but from a small park's perspective I imagine they would have some pretty compelling offers if they were still around.

It's probably a good thing they're gone, the industry standards have raised quite a bit since their demise.

Once all the cheap pinfari/schwartzkopf traveling coasters have finally been retired though, I wonder who will start providing cheap portable coasters to refill the niche?

^Wow, I had completely missed or forgotten about that.

Here's the backstory from their website:

The structure of Interpark Amusements changes dramatically in 2007, with the acquisition of the rights, property, engineering, models, trade mark and websites of the famous Pinfari Company, which has been the first Company in the world to manufacture roller coaster entirely built with steel.

The classic compact coaster design firm, which declared bankruptcy after 80 years of business, was quickly integrated into existing Interpark operations, with the addition of new coaster models , so that the two Companies can offer a range of 40 different roller coaster models.

Since that time the group has grown its international presence to previously unforeseen heights, boasting a range of coasters that no other manufacturer in the world can propose.

That answers my question then.

Another company that would have been interesting if it survived would have been Arrow, if X didn't have all the issues and it was a success, I wonder if we would have seen more 4D coasters (also Alan Schilke might have stuck with Arrow instead of eventually going to RMC)

If pinfari would have survived.... Then they'd be still building awful coasters

^ The difference with Vekoma is that they sell ALOT of coasters. They have sold more coasters then any other company, and are always coming out with new designs and products.

Yeah, vekoma sells to 2 most cloned coasters in the world, moreover vekoma focuses more on middle large parks (and some times disney). Pinfari on the other hand focused more on smaller parks and fun fairs, and smaller parks can't afford to build a a new coaster every few years. Therefore I think that they woudn't have survived anyhow.

If they had survived there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to build decent coasters by now. From what I have heard their latest coasters were quite alright (Mini Mega and SLC). But of course no, they would not be competing with the largest companies, but I could easily see them establishing themselves as a supplier of good quality kiddie and family coasters.

I see what you all mean....as much as some people hate them, Vekoma is still selling standard SLCs and Boomerangs to this day, albeit not in as high of frequency as they were doing back then. China is getting a few non-knockoff actual Vekoma Boomerangs and Energylandia in Poland is getting a brand new SLC.

I see what you all mean....as much as some people hate them, Vekoma is still selling standard SLCs and Boomerangs to this day, albeit not in as high of frequency as they were doing back then. China is getting a few non-knockoff actual Vekoma Boomerangs and Energylandia in Poland is getting a brand new SLC.

I find the new slc's with the vest restraints to be very fun!