TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The WDW Disney College Program

Yea, I understand what you mean. I just need to use up all the tickets before I leave the CP. But from that, it sounds like it should be fine when my parents go. Does that portal thing say how much all the disounts are? Im curious to know how much like Cirque du Soleil, and all the other discounts you get are.

Yeah, it has discounts and everything on it. I'd offer to get back on, but it takes a ridiculously long amount of time to load for me and I don't have time to wait, I'm on my way to work. I think Cirque is 50% off, but you have to buy the tickets on the day of the show and it's based on availability. There's all sorts of random discounts. I always ended up just asking wherever I was if that had CM discounts. Quizno's had I think it was 15% off which was fantastic because I ate there almost daily. They knew my sandwich.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, I read nearly this whole topic and it's very insightful! I'm planning on doing the College Program too. I tried to do it my freshmen year in college and I got accepted in Operations! That was my first pick and I was glad that I got accepted for that. During the time I was supposed to approve the accpetance letter I realized I needed to focus more on college rather than right away going to Disney. Therefore I declined the acceptance.

I want to do the Spring Advantage in 2009... which is usually late January til August right? I still want to do Operations... mainly at one of the roller coaster. Sounds like I might want to stay in Chatham instead of Vista Way though. Ultimately, I want to become an Imagineer or something close to that, Working with the design and development of amusement rides.

^Spring Advantage has a variety of start dates in January and end dates in August. Mine was January 15 - August 15, 2003. Most of the time, you'll have the chance to extend your program (depending on the numbers they are recruiting).

Just a note, operations doesn't necessarily mean you will be placed on a ride and you wont be able to pick your housing. I can try and request it, but it may or may not happen. I stayed in Vista during my program, Chatham during a winter seasonal stint, and then Vista during another summer season and I have to say Vista was the place to be.

^ So even if I request to work at a roller coaster or something close to that, there could be a possibility of that not happening? Also, my friend also want's to do this the same time I'm doing it too and we wanted to stay in the same apartment... is that going to be hard to do too? One more question lol, would I have a better chance at working in a requested area and living in a certain apartment if I decided to do the Fall Advantage? Thanks for your help!

I go in for my College Program Orientation on Tuesday at the Disneyland Resort!

I know I'll be in Attractions but I don't know where, yet! I'm holding out for Paradise Bay at DCA; especially because of Screamin' and Mania and Chuck's Lead status at that attraction. I hope I'll find out on Tuesday! Either way, I'm sure I'll transfer after 6 months.

Has anyone from TPR done the Anaheim Program?

^ So even if I request to work at a roller coaster or something close to that, there could be a possibility of that not happening? Also, my friend also want's to do this the same time I'm doing it too and we wanted to stay in the same apartment... is that going to be hard to do too? One more question lol, would I have a better chance at working in a requested area and living in a certain apartment if I decided to do the Fall Advantage? Thanks for your help!

1. You can request whatever, but to be honest more people get Food and Beverage positions than anything else, just because those roles are more plentiful. That's not to discourage you at all...anything is possible. When it comes time to interview be determined, but also open minded. I'd say its better to do the program in a second or third choice position instead of not getting a position at all.

2. They have a matching program, however it all comes down to arrival and departure dates. They try to keep everyone in an apartment coming and going at the same time as it makes it easier for the housing folks.

3. I'm not sure how Fall Advantage plays into it. I have heard that the fall is a more "popular" time for students to apply so it might be more difficult. Like I said before, go with an open mind, you may not get what your dream position is, but it will definately still be an experience you wont forget!

• 2 months later...

I'm Possibly going back this summer!!

I've been offered a full service food and beverage role so will be seating at the resturants - hopefully a character one.

I've got a few other possibilities but it looks like I'll probably be there.

So come visit me!

I'm trying to come down this summer as well, but in what capacity I don't know. I applied for the Management and professional internships this January and February, and I haven't heard anything just yet. My backup is looking to do the CP again somewhere and trying once again after that program. It all depends on what happens, but I'm going to do my best to get down there again.

If there is anyway you can find an oppertunity to steer the interview towards a ride you want to work at, that helps.

I knew in advance that there weren't many attraction roles available and from doing some research online found out that Fantasyland and Tomorrowland were understaffed so I managed to talk about how fantastic Space was and I answered the questions based on working on a ride rather than working somewhere in the resort.

It worked! Got a job on Space and had the time on my life.

My girlfriend and I are thinking of doing the summer work experience program for international university students but have some questions. Maybe some of you can answer them.

1. Is it worth it? We realize that the experience will probably be beyond words, but seeing how much the rent is, plus the cost of food, and minimum wage makes us question it. I heard ride attendants start at $8/hr, meaning that it could up to 10hrs of work a week to pay for that week's rent.

2. Can you pick what position you want? I realize that you probably can't say "I want to work on Tower of Terror" but can you specify that you would like rides instead of say quick service, or even what park we prefer?

3. Can you pick where you want to live? We know that the apartments aren't co-ed, but can we both say we want to live in, say, Vista Way so we wouldn't have to travel to the other complexes to see each other on days off or night?

4. What kind of hours can we expect? This kind of goes with number 1; if there isn't enough hours, there's barely any money to pay for food and rent, let alone save enough to take home.

Thanks in advance...if I can think of any more I'll ask.

I'll preference by saying I know nothing about the international program. There are some slight differences between the national College Program and the International Program, so I can only speak from my experiences.

My girlfriend and I are thinking of doing the summer work experience program for international university students but have some questions. Maybe some of you can answer them.

1. Is it worth it? We realize that the experience will probably be beyond words, but seeing how much the rent is, plus the cost of food, and minimum wage makes us question it. I heard ride attendants start at $8/hr, meaning that it could up to 10hrs of work a week to pay for that week's rent.

It's up to you really. Realize with the exchange rate and the pay scale, you wont be making much money off the top. For an operations position (which is ride attendant), I can certainly tell you it's not $8/hr. Of the pay scale posted on the International Program web site of $6.79 - $8.14 per hour, I can tell you that ops will be on the $6.79 of that scale. The $8.14 side of things would be stuff like Quick Food and Custodial, positions they need but don't get filled as quickly. I can also guarantee you you'll working way more than 10hrs a week, but I'll get to that later.

2. Can you pick what position you want? I realize that you probably can't say "I want to work on Tower of Terror" but can you specify that you would like rides instead of say quick service, or even what park we prefer?

Yes you can, and they'll do everything they can to place you there, but in the end they put you where they need you. They focus more which roles you prefer over which location. If you say you prefer one role over another, they'll work hard in getting you into that role. If you specify location, they work for that too, but that's less likely to happen. I know for me, I made different suggestions on where I felt my best fit would be, both role and location, and I got it. I also know many other people who did the same thing and it didn't happen. So you can make your suggestions, and they'll take them and work with them, but in the end they make the decision.

3. Can you pick where you want to live? We know that the apartments aren't co-ed, but can we both say we want to live in, say, Vista Way so we wouldn't have to travel to the other complexes to see each other on days off or night?

Not really. I know for my check in process, you had the choice not where, but how many people. That choice determined where you lived. So, it's hard to say.

4. What kind of hours can we expect? This kind of goes with number 1; if there isn't enough hours, there's barely any money to pay for food and rent, let alone save enough to take home.

Late. Generally, International Program people and CPs get the closing shifts. I know there is a limit to the amount of hours someone on an US work visa can work, but I admit don't know that number. The International Program web site states that it's a guaranteed 30 hours a week with a maximum of 45 hours a week. I do know many who hit that max and then some, or at least try. Especally during the busy months.

That's what I know. Hope it was helpful. The offical site of the program gave me a lot of information, especially the FAQ. Take a look and, if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm currently in the program until Jan of 2009! I'm working at Pleasure Island as a Door Host and Cirque's show as an usher. Nothing thrilling, especially since PI will close in Sept.

But it has been great so far, and of course, going to the parks on my days off are always awesome.