TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Future USA Trip

Wayned

A group of friends are planning a trip in a few years time to celebrate a major milestone birthday. We plan to make it a 2 week trip but need to include a visit to Vegas (even though some of us have already been before). Another 'must do' for the trip is a visit to Cedar Point. We will fly from Western Australia so it is likely that we will hit the West Coast of America (so it is likely that we will land at LAX). Some of us have been to SFMM, Universal and Disneyland before but this was 5 years ago so it may be worth another look at SFMM (especially as Tatsu will be in operation by then...we hope).

So, in 2 weeks we hope to fit in SFMM, Vegas and Cedar Point. What is the best route to take and are there any other parks along this route that are worth visiting? Also, we were thinking of making the trip in May. Is this a good time or should be schedule it for later in the year?

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's very little between California and Cedar Point. Though once you get out to the midwest and into the east coast you have alot to choose from.

I'd suggest bumping the trip up to June. You'd be alright in California in May, but the midwest/east coast parks would most likely still be only open on weekends. Though it would vary from park to park, and the exact dates.

Thanks eveyone for your feedback so far. Some questions:

1. Will deferring the trip to June clash with any school holidays for these areas (or does it not really make a difference to the busyness of the parks)?

2. Would it make more sense to travel to Cedar Point after LA and then down to Vegas?

3. Is there accommodation (ie Motel 6 style) near Cedar Point?

4. How many days should we allow for Cedar Point to get a couple of rides on most of the coasters?

1.Schools should be out by June(locals should be able to confirm this) so that shouldn't be a problem.

2.Definetly not. Vegas is driving distance from LA. You'd be flying about 4-5 hours, only to have to fly 3-4 hours back to Vegas. If you want to do Vegas do it when you're in LA.

3. SAndusky is a resort town. The area is packed with hotels for about a 30 mile radius. You have dozens to choose from. Though I'd suggest Breakers Express. It's a cheap, quality hotel, and you get early entry to the park(great way to ride Millenium Force and Dragster which are the longest waits).

4. 2 days should be enough to do everything. You'll probably be able to do nearly everything in 1 day in fact. At least all the good rides. But 2 days would give you enough time to enjoy yourself.

My suggestion would be fly from LA to Pittsburgh. From there you can drive to CP, GL, and PKI. It would also mean you could add on some East Coast parks as well. You could do a loop: KW, Knoebels, HP, DP, SFGAdv, SFA and back to Pittsburgh.

At least that's what I would do... 8)

I would plan your trip in May. Schools get out in June and the parks will be crowded. The last full weekend in May is Memorial Day so Monday will be a Holiday. That is the unofficial start of the summer season and parks can be crowded from there on out. CP opens 2nd week of May and I think all parks in Southern California are either year round or open all week by May. That is my 2 cents worth

Hey wayned, great to hear some other aussies are planning a trip Cp and SFMM and Vegas. I'm planning a trip myself for late may to July.

My pencilled trip is as follows-Melb to Lax, Lax to Cleveland, Cleveland to CP, then fly to boston,Drive to SFNE, Lake Compounce, SFGADV, Hershey Park, Knoebels,PKI, fly from wash dc to Vegas, drive to LA for SFMM, knotts and Disney. Phew i'm just tired typing that. All up about 7 weeks worth of coasters.

Does anyone have any hotel recommendations for the parks between SFNE and PKI. Thanks

To all who have helped people with advice regarding future trips, a big thank you.

^^ That would work fine only if Cedar Point was the only park they would go to. As all parks wouldn't be open midweek at that point.

If you're going to fly 2000 miles across the country to visit CP you may as well see more while you're there.

Cedar Point's good and all, but there are quite a few hidden gems scattered across the midwest/north east.

• 3 weeks later...

Cedar Point's good and all, but there are quite a few hidden gems scattered across the midwest/north east.

could you please tell us of these hidden gems you speak of?

im also from australia and planning a trip like you guys all across america... i have a question

what parks (all over america) are a must visit? i've noticed alot of six flags parks havethe same coasters in them all so could you tell me all the parks with the unique rides that are a must.... thanks!

^ Some of the smaller parks can be alot of fun, but don't get as much attention.

Indiana Beach, Wisconsin Dells, Lake Compounce,Knoebels, Silver Dollar City, Kennywood were all parks that really surprised me. (though Kennywood/SDC are a bit more well known then the others).

I'm sure others will have more to suggest. There are alot of parks in this area that are worth visiting.

Hey wayned, great to hear some other aussies are planning a trip Cp and SFMM and Vegas. I'm planning a trip myself for late may to July.

My pencilled trip is as follows-Melb to Lax, Lax to Cleveland, Cleveland to CP, then fly to boston,Drive to SFNE, Lake Compounce, SFGADV, Hershey Park, Knoebels,PKI, fly from wash dc to Vegas, drive to LA for SFMM, knotts and Disney. Phew i'm just tired typing that. All up about 7 weeks worth of coasters.

Does anyone have any hotel recommendations for the parks between SFNE and PKI. Thanks

To all who have helped people with advice regarding future trips, a big thank you.

Now that looks like a plan!