TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SoCal Trip Planning

Help me plan a trip around Southern California parks!

So I'm planning a trip to Southern California for mid-late July and would like some advice on the matter. This would be my first time in the area. The basic itinerary at the moment is as follows:

Friday: Fly to LA, see a Dodgers game, drive to Six Flags Magic Mountain

Saturday/Sunday: SFMM. The plan is to get Flash Pass the Saturday only.

Monday: Universal Studios Hollywood

Tuesday/Wednesday: Knotts Berry Farm

Thursday-Sunday: Disneyland Resort (2 full at Disneyland, 1.5 at DCA with the other half going to an Angels game)

Monday: Fly home to Minneapolis.

I know LAX can be a bitch to deal with, but right now flying there is $300 cheaper than SNA. I also like the flight times better at LAX. Rental car prices are about the same. Is it still worth it to fly into SNA, or is there another airport to look into?

For Sunday night, I was looking into a hotel closer to Universal, but the best options don’t have a lot of parking available. Is it still worth it to stay closer, or should I stay the extra night near SFMM?

For KBF, I'm thinking about staying at their onsite hotel for the convenience. I also am looking at the Quality Inn about a half mile north of the park. Is the convenience worth the extra cost?

For Disney, I’m looking into their partner hotel deals. As long as it has a shuttle to the park, I’ll consider it. Any that are NOT recommended?

For Time/Money, not really planning on doing any other Hollywood touristy things this trip.

Only Line-Skip service I’ll look into is Flash Pass for the SFMM Saturday only due to budget.

More park-specific questions will be posted in their respective threads closer to the trip.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

In December of 2021 I hit SFMM and KBF in one trip; here are some of my observations/suggestions:

-I flew in and out of Burbank International Airport (BUR) for substantially less money than flying into or out of LAX, via Southwest.  Yes, flight times are limited by comparison, but what they had available worked for me.  Rental car prices were also substantially cheaper at that airport.

-With Flash Pass Platinum, I would imagine you will only need one day at SFMM.  I agree with two days at KBF though, especially if you plan on taking in all of the non-ride things to do there.

-Don't forget to check out the Santa Monica Pier and Pacific Park while you're in the area.  Only one credit, a so-bad-it's-good Morgan micro-hyper (full scale track and trains but a tiny kiddie coaster layout), but the park has historic value and also plenty of nice dining options in the area. 

-If you're a credit whore, there's also a few credits to be had at nearby Castle Park, John's Incredible Pizza, Live Oak Canyon Farm, and Apline Slide at Magic Mountain, the latter of which has an honest-to-satan real Apline Slide along with their mountain coaster.

-Since you're only doing the LA-area parks (and ignoring the true SoCal parks down near San Diego), I'd honestly get one hotel that is centrally located for the entire time - this will give you a little more flexibility without having to work your schedule around check-in/out times.  When I did the trip, I stayed at a mom-n-pop hotel that was in walking distance to the beach and dining/nightlife options.

-Double whatever your expected fuel budget is.

• Thanks 1

I second trying to get a flight from Burbank if possible.  The problem is price and times can really be a crapshot.  But location-wise, it'd be ideal.  SNA isn't really near anything except Disney.

I've stayed at the Quality Inn near Knott's.  It's okay, but it would be a pretty long walk to Knotts.  The on-site hotel would be easier, and it is being upgraded.

I've never stayed at a hotel near USH, but there are quite a few of them around, and most should be fine.  While I haven't stayed there myself, I've heard nice things about the Beverly Garland hotel.  I believe it has a shuttle to the park, and the on site restaurant The Front Yard is surprisingly good and great atmosphere (though expensive).

Needing two days at Knotts depends on how involved you want to get.  If you're just interested in rides, one day should be enough.  If you also want to dig into shows and food (especially if there's an event going on like the Boysenberry Festival), you may need that extra day.

5 hours ago, CaptainUnknown said:

So I'm planning a trip to Southern California for mid-late July and would like some advice on the matter. This would be my first time in the area. The basic itinerary at the moment is as follows:

Friday: Fly to LA, see a Dodgers game, drive to Six Flags Magic Mountain

Saturday/Sunday: SFMM. The plan is to get Flash Pass the Saturday only.

Monday: Universal Studios Hollywood

Tuesday/Wednesday: Knotts Berry Farm

Thursday-Sunday: Disneyland Resort (2 full at Disneyland, 1.5 at DCA with the other half going to an Angels game)

Monday: Fly home to Minneapolis.

I know LAX can be a bitch to deal with, but right now flying there is $300 cheaper than SNA. I also like the flight times better at LAX. Rental car prices are about the same. Is it still worth it to fly into SNA, or is there another airport to look into?

For Sunday night, I was looking into a hotel closer to Universal, but the best options don’t have a lot of parking available. Is it still worth it to stay closer, or should I stay the extra night near SFMM?

For KBF, I'm thinking about staying at their onsite hotel for the convenience. I also am looking at the Quality Inn about a half mile north of the park. Is the convenience worth the extra cost?

For Disney, I’m looking into their partner hotel deals. As long as it has a shuttle to the park, I’ll consider it. Any that are NOT recommended?

For Time/Money, not really planning on doing any other Hollywood touristy things this trip.

Only Line-Skip service I’ll look into is Flash Pass for the SFMM Saturday only due to budget.

More park-specific questions will be posted in their respective threads closer to the trip.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

LAX will not be too bad flying in since you are staying in Los Angeles but could be a long trip up the 405 freeway from OC on a Monday if you travel any time close to rush hour.  The airport is mostly just old and has horrible traffic on holidays but otherwise is not terrible.  Monday morning traffic from Magic Mountain to Universal will take about an hour to an hour and a half depending on when you leave since you are commuting into Los Angeles.  

The Disneyland / DCA Anaheim area shuttle was a mess last spring break in 2023, so I hope it has improved.  We ended up walking because we couldn't get the app to work right and the shutlles were on demand most of the day and not running on a schedule.  We ended up with over 15,000 steps per day and neither park is that large.  I wish we didn't stay up at Ball and Disney Drive which was about a mile walk to the main gates.

The skip the line will be a good choice at Magic Mountain as it will be the hotest park at around 100 degress in late July.  It is also the largest park so you might be tired after Saturday.  

Beach Blvd in front of Knott's can be a little sketchy at night so don't bring someone afraid of homeless people or drug addicts wandering around.  You will also get that off property at Universal and Disney so don't be wearing any expensive jewelry or watches.

• Thanks 1