TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

European Trip Planning

Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in here.

Long story short, I had a larger family trip for the beginning of next month fall through relatively last minute. The bright side to that situation is that I now have a six day window and the funds suddenly available to take my about to be 13 year old on a coaster trip. It is pretty last minute, but we have the freedom to dream as big as we want with this short window of time. Passports are current too so really we can go anywhere.

Obviously from this thread, I am considering a short European coaster trip. This would be travel day, four days of coasters, and a travel day. We wouldn't be looking to do anything else both because he wouldn't be all that interested yet and if we did anything culturally significant in Europe without my wife we would probably be murdered. 

Maybe we do this or do a domestic trip here in the US, but at the moment I am a bit overwhelmed with the map full of possibilities. So here are my two questions to help me out: First, if you had four consecutive days to work with, where would you go to get the best "bang for your buck", so to speak, in Europe? And I don't mean that financially, but in terms of time and quality/quantity of coasters. Basically, where is the best cluster of parks/coasters that could be reasonably done in only four days considering the distance between them? Second, having ID'd a country/region, what would be the most time efficient way to navigate around there between parks and hotels? Car rental? Are there logistics renting cars as foreigners I would need to know about? Or is public transport the way to go? Buses/trains, maybe? 

Thanks again guys!

Europe has some great parks! Though they usually are more family oriented than many parks in the US. So, while many great European parks have a solid one/two coaster punch, the rest of the line-up is usually very family friendly. So, just set your expectations accordingly  :).

1 hour ago, abovethesink said:

Basically, where is the best cluster of parks/coasters that could be reasonably done in only four days considering the distance between them?

I think the best region for your trip would be Holland, the west side of Germany, and Belgium. You have some of Europe's best (coaster) parks there such as Phantasialand and Walibi Holland. Plus, the driving distances between parks are considerably shorter than in the US. Amsterdam and Frankfurt  also have major airport hubs, so flying should be convenient too. Poland could be an option too (it's quite cheap), but besides 3/4 strong coasters there's currently not much else and there are better parks to visit elsewhere in Europe.

1 hour ago, abovethesink said:

Car rental?

This is by far the most convenient, but traveling by public transport is not impossible. However, considering you only have four days I would recommend renting a car, just for convenience sake. Germany's cheaper when it comes to car rentals so that might also be a factor to consider where you're flying to/from. Lastly, regarding prices (I assume from your post you care about the financials) Europe's overall definitely cheaper than the US (except for gas), including the theme parks so you've got that going for you as well. Hope this info helps and good luck with planning your trip!

A few years ago we were lucky enough to go to Phantasialand -- highly recommended! Just a really fun, well-done park (Europa Park is on my bucket list). Also, I'm a fan of trains. I would suggest using seat61.com (it's a travel site for European train travel, hope that's okay on these forums) to see if trains would work. They are usually very convenient and inexpensive; even better, often an adventure in and of themselves.

Don't try to overwhelm yourself with doing too much. Stick to one region and enjoy a couple of the big parks. I agree with the Netherlands, my wife and I spent the first week of our honeymoon there, and we were able to enjoy Walibi Holland and Efteling. We also had no issues doing public transport to both parks from our AirBNB outside of Amsterdam. Staying closer to the Germany border would definitely expand options to Europa and Phantasialand, too, but I can't really speak as an expert on those. Just keep it relatively simple and don't bite off more than you can chew. Let it breeeeeeeathe. :)

For me, it would be to fly into Frankfurt and get over to Cologne for Phantasialand... Then go to Toverland (just over an hour into Holland). Then just take the drive down south to get to Europa (~4hr drive). On the way down or back up, hit up Holiday Park.

Phantasialand and Europa are some of the best parks in the region.

Also, for a trip this short, just get a car. You can specifically rent an auto. We just got back from a 9-10 day drip through Holland/Belgium/France/German and our car for the entire time was only like $280 for an automatic. Driving there is far less stressful than in the US, they are MUCH better drivers. And the autobahn is a blast, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think gardyloo! has summed up some nice ones in my area and given accurate information.
The last years I have made some nice roadtrips in Europe as well.
I live in the Netherlands so I know my way a bit in this area 🙃

Parks I can reccomend;

Netherlands
- Walibi Holland (NL)
- Efteling (NL)
- Toverland (NL)

Belgium
- Bobbejaanland (BE)
- Plopsaland de Panne (BE)
- Bellewaerde (BE)
- Walibi Belgium (BE)

Germany
- Moviepark Germany (DE)
- Phantasialand (DE)
- Tripsdrill (DE)
- Bayernpark (DE)
- Europapark (DE)
- Skylinepark (DE)
- Heidepark (DE)
- Hansapark (DE)

Poland
- Energylandia (PL)
- Legendia (PL)

Denmark
- Djurs Sommerland (DK)
- Fårup Sommerland (DK)
- Tivoli Gardens (DK)

Sweden
- Liseberg (S)

France
- Parc Asterix (FR)
- Nigloland (FR)

Spain
- Port Aventura (SP)
- Parque Warner Madrid (SP)
- Parque de Atracciones de Madrid (SP)

Italy
- Gardaland (IT)
- Movieland (IT)
- Mirabilandia (IT)

Funfairs worth seeing in July:
- Kermis Tilburg 21.07.2023 - 30.07.2023 (NL)
- Rheinkirmes Düsseldorf 14.7.2023 - 23.07.2023 (DE)

If you rent a car and will drive around for 4 days I see the following possibilities;

Trip 1
1. Heidepark (DE)
2. Hansapark (DE)
3. Djurs Sommerland (DK)
4. Liseberg (S) (2 days in this park is recommended) 

Trip 2
1. Nigloland (FR)
2. Tripsdrill (DE)
3. Skylinepark (DE)
4. Europapark (DE) (2 days in this park is recommended) 

Trip 3
1. Walibi Holland (NL)
2. Efteling/Toverland (NL)
3. Bobbejaanland (BE)
4. Walibi Belgium (BE)

Trip 4
1. Phantasialand
2. Moviepark Germany
3. Walibi Holland
4. Efteling/Toverland 

Offcourse you can also choose yourself and connect the dots 🙂

Here I also have a link to a handy map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1VcGhz8GRp6WUcbhVwdKqrVFg8tA&ll=50.686495078425565%2C11.518505414390056&z=6

Another hint is that you can buy a subscription card at Bobbejaanland or Moviepark and get free acces at: Slagharen, Moviepark, Bobbejaanland and Belantis. However, except for Belantis the three other parks are very good reachable with car. From my home I can reach all within about +- 1,5 hour driving.

About the traffic and others;

Netherlands
In my opinion driving is nice here, the information is clear, the quality of the roads are pretty good but at times that people go to work or finish their work there can be traffic jams.
The gasprices are one of the highest as I have seen in Europe. Also you don't want to get a ticket for wrong parking or driving too fast because it can be expensive.
Most people are able to speak English.

Belgium
It is a bit the same as the Netherlands. Difference is that the gasprices are cheaper and penalties are more expensive.
Most people are able to speak English

Germany
Be carefull at the German "Autobahn" (highway). When there is no speed limit given people may drive as fast as they want. It likely you will encounter someone driving you by with a speed of over 300 km/h (186 MPH). Penalties are rather cheap in comarison to Holland. It is harder to find parkingspots in cities here. Gas prices are also a bit cheaper then in Holland.
Most people are able to speak English

Italy
From my experience this this country is quite stressful to drive in. Speed limit seems to be taken as an advice when most people drive almost twice the restricted speed limit or so...
When you are on a paid highway it is more relaxed. In Italy there are toll roads (you pay to drive over this road).
It is harder to find someone who speaks English.

France
France also has a bit more expensive gas prices and toll roads. Driving here is also relaxed.
It is harder to find someone who speaks English.

General:
Units: Kilometers instead of Miles
Money: Euro's, Poland has Zloty, Switserland, Denmark and Sweden also don't use euro's.
Speed limits: They vary per country but are somewhat similar
Countryinfo: https://www.anwb.nl/vakantie/reiswijzer (need some translation as this website is in Dutch).

I hope this will help you and maybe others as well. I also have multiple trip preparations, routes and such if people are interested I can also post that 🙂

Cheers, Danny

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Trip One: South-Germany

First day: Arrival at Swiss Zurich or Basel Airport, drive between 1,5-2,5h to Europa Park and check in a hotel there.

Second day: Enjoy "EuropaPark", at the evening after park clöosing, drive about 2h to the Park "Tripsdrill" and stay at a hotel nearby.

Third day: Two smaller but nice parks - visit Tripsdrill for half a day, to do the main attractions and than make an one hour drive to "Holiday park" and ride the main attractions there. At evening take take a two hour drive to Phantasialand and book there a hotel.

Fourth day: Visit "Phantasia Land" and enjoy the day. On the evening take the car on a 2h drive to a hotel near "Walibi Belgium", book it for maybe two days.

Fifth day: Enjoy your stay at Walibi Belgium nd your second night in the Hotel. 

Sixth day: Drive to the airport in Brussels (30min) or enjoy Brussels for the morning before doing this and than fly home

Here is the link to drive on maps in a hol ( so all stations) on maps:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Vd57NmjUU2gGbrgTA

If Splitflight is to expensive may landing in Frankfurt, could the trick, too.

But this will add a longer drive at the first day (about 3,5 hours) and the last day, about 3 hours

Positive:

- A lot of nice parks with nice attractions.

-Everyday about 2 hour drives to the next park.

negative:

- Split flight: You land in Swiss and fly back from Brussels, most times this is more expensive.

- You need to rent the car from a company that operates in all 3 countries ( i think "sixt" and "hertz" are the biggest ones)

- it will be kind a of exhausting trip. No time to handle the Jetlag, a lot of 2 hour drives. 

Another Trip could be one that some above suggested:

Landung in Cologne: Visit Phantasia Land and than maybe Walibi Belgieum and 1-2 Park in the Netherlands  (Toverland, Plopsaland dePanne, Walibi Holland, Efteling etc.)  and maybe on the return Trip visit another German Park like (Hansa or HeidePark) before flying back from Cologne.

The third and maybe most relaxing and sightseeing trip would be:

Fly to Paris- France, take the bus from the Airport to Park Asterix, Book a hotel there and stay there for 1-2 daysand enjoy the park.  Than take public transport or rent a car to go to Disneyland Paris and maybe book a hotel there or in the city  and visit 2-3 days the DisneyParks there. Maybe enjoy the city a bit, but not go to the most touristy places. Or if you really have to visit the Eiffel-Tower, be prepared for touristy hell. I would suggest enjoying a smaller city near Paris the get something from France. This is most chilling Trip but you will only visit two Parks, which are High Quality ones, but France is quiet expensive (but i think still cheaper than the US). But be aware that Paris tourists areas are full of scams and overpriced everything....