TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Florida for 2 weeks in November, stay onsite or offsite?

Well, we've booked our flights to head down to Florida in November. We are going for the middle 2 weeks. We were planning on staying a week at WDW (The free dining pass is usually offered during that time) We would just stay at a value resort as the quick service meals fit us better at theme parks. (Don't like having plans, prefer to eat when hungry)

We were then planning on going to Universal for a week and staying at Cabana bay. We were going to get the Orlando flex plus pass which has 14 days admission to Seaworld/Universal/Island of Adventure/Waterparks/Busch Gardens.

We had planned to take the magical express from the airport to WDW, taxi from WDW to Universal then just shuttle bus it to all the other parks. (With the plus pass, the shuttle to Busch Gardens is free--but it says it might not get there till ~11:00AM.)

We are from Canada, so we are contending with a weak dollar which makes this trip pretty expensive. The value resorts at WDW look to be about ~120 US a night, and Cabana bay seems to be about ~95 US a night. Now, of course you get some pretty awesome perks by staying at the onsite resorts.

That being said I could stay offsite at a decent offsite hotel for about $55 CAD a night, which really really helps with the weak Canadian dollar. Going this route, I'd have to rent a car which would be somewhere in the region of $400 US for the 2 weeks + gas. I'd then of course have to pay parking at the theme parks which I figure would be somewhere in the region of ~225 US.

What's everyone thoughts on this? Sometimes it's nice not having to drive--but waiting for those buses to take you back to your hotel sometimes took a long time at WDW. Getting to Busch Gardens that late kinda sucks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

With that price difference I would still go for the onsite hotels. When I first read the title I was thinking this would ask about renting a condo or house for the two weeks versus staying on site, but to just get a cheap hotel I think it's better to stay onsite.

That being said I could stay offsite at a decent offsite hotel for about $55 CAD a night, which really really helps with the weak Canadian dollar.

I'm no stranger to cheap hotels. On most of our park trips we end up with something like a Super 8 or a Motel 6 because we spend all day at the parks and very little time in the hotels so if it's clean I really don't care. That being said there are some horrendous hotels in Orlando and reviews can't always be trusted.

We tried to save money and decided to stay at the Metropolitan "Resort" on I Drive and ended up actually fearing for our lives on multiple occasions. The place was so bad we ended up eating the entire cost of our stay and booking a room at the Courtyard Marriot for $150 per night. We knew we couldn't get our money back (because EVERYONE wants their money back) so we didn't even bother checking out for 2 days just because we didn't want to go back over there and have to go in the disgusting lobby. The crazy thing was the hotel was in a nice area, right in the shadow of the Orlando Eye and next to some great restaurants and hotels but this place was horrific. Apparently there are a lot of other hotels in Orlando that are just as bad so be careful when going the cheap route. I'm quick to suggest cheap hotels for people on a budget anywhere else but NOT in Orlando. lol

With that price difference I would still go for the onsite hotels. When I first read the title I was thinking this would ask about renting a condo or house for the two weeks versus staying on site, but to just get a cheap hotel I think it's better to stay onsite.

I actually never thought about renting a condo or house. I guess I should take a look at airbnb or something. Thanks for the suggestion. I think staying on site would be the way to go to.. The girlfriend is adverse to the idea of staying off site and for the slight monetary savings not really worth the hassle. I will look into houses or condos though, thanks!

^We love the rental house and condo options in Florida. We use www.allstarvacationhomes.com

Most of them are more than the onsite values though. It's more useful if you're staying with another couple/family or looking for an awesome base camp with full kitchen, private pool, etc. Then it can be cheaper than the onsite options.

I visited Orlando this past February and negotiated the same onsite vs. offsite debate during my trip planning.

Keeping in mind I too had to contend with that same "weak Canadian dollar" budget that you now face.

After much debate I eventually chose to stay onsite at USO (Cabana Bay) and WDW (Yacht Club) with a single day car rental to BGT. There's a National/Alamo rental kiosk at the Dolphin Resort (next to Yacht Club) and single day car rentals in Florida are dramatically less expensive than elsewhere.

Looking back it was the right decision. Sure it was a little more expensive from the outset, but I balanced it out in other ways (making my own lunch and eating in my room as often as possible saved me boatloads of money).

In the end, you just cannot beat staying onsite. Waking up a few steps from Epcot is one of the greatest theme park vacation feelings I've ever had.

I would absolutely encourage you to stay on site if you can afford it, even if for a portion of the trip to take advantage of the perks, but if that's not an option I've had some good luck with condo rentals through Groupon. Places like Mystic Dunes and a few of locations run groupon deals for a 1 or 2 bedroom condo with full kitchen for less than $100 a night sometimes. A lot of those condo properties are like their own little resorts with pools and mini golf and decent dining on site as well. Just another option similar to renting a house.

Here's a link to the Mystic Dunes Groupon (I knew I had seen it recently), $85 a night for a 2 bedroom is pretty decent (and the golf is pretty solid if you are into that kind of thing).

Mystic Dunes Resort Groupon

I realize the date range isn't valid for your trip but it's gives ya some kind of idea what is avaialble, and there are ALWAYS groupons available for Orlando.