TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How are roller coasters built?

So every year a new roller coaster gets built, in the plot of land it gets built there's a trend to them building it. First they remove the dirt and trees and stuff, and then they put down the footers, then the track etc... But my question is how do they get the footers in the 100% precise range to lay down a piece of track that was made on a computer in a factory?!? It just blows my mind like how does that process work?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So every year a new roller coaster gets built, in the plot of land it gets built there's a trend to them building it. First they remove the dirt and trees and stuff, and then they put down the footers, then the track etc... But my question is how do they get the footers in the 100% precise range to lay down a piece of track that was made on a computer in a factory?!? It just blows my mind like how does that process work?

I'd imagine it's the same way that most buildings or structures are located on site. The use of various forms of measuring equipment for levels, distance and heights.

They probably use either use global latitude/longitude coordinates or they make up their own local coordinate system for the build site to use more convenient numbers, survey the area, mark the right places and then carefully dig the holes and put in the reinforced concrete.

Do you know any Boy Scouts? Talk to them and see if any are interested in taking the Surveying Merit Badge. You could probably tag along. There are plenty of professionals that are willing to donate their time and expertise to help inspire young minds. Best of all you can get some quality hands on experience for very little or no cost. If that kind of stuff interests you there are tons of other Merit Badges you can peruse and get a great introduction to a wide variety fields from engineering to game design to inventing. Go to meritbadge.org for a complete list and description.

In answer to you question, much the same way they start building a tunnel from two sides of a mountain and meet in the middle only an inch off.

First a bunch of us nerds get on google maps and take screen shots of the area... we then draw lines all over the image representing where the track will go. Next we use a super high-tech simulation, such as RCT3 or even better NL2, to put these squiggly lines into a 3D world. Its a very demanding job, but the results are phenomenal .

Do you know any Boy Scouts? Talk to them and see if any are interested in taking the Surveying Merit Badge. You could probably tag along. There are plenty of professionals that are willing to donate their time and expertise to help inspire young minds. Best of all you can get some quality hands on experience for very little or no cost. If that kind of stuff interests you there are tons of other Merit Badges you can peruse and get a great introduction to a wide variety fields from engineering to game design to inventing. Go to meritbadge.org for a complete list and description.

Eagle Scout here! Woo, Represent!! Unfortunately though, I never took the surveying merit badge, so I wish I could help by saying some of my own thoughts, but sadly I'm not much use in this area...

The same way anything is built. Plotting footers for a roller coaster isn't much different from plotting footers for a highway bridge.

^ On the internet, sure. I know people use "footer" all the time, but it's not right. Construction is construction; it doesn't matter if it's for a deck at your house or a roller coaster. It's still a footing. I know people will continue to call it "footer" until the end of time, but just thought I'd let everyone know the proper term is footing. Check any construction book or even Wikipedia.

FOOTING

^ On the internet, sure. I know people use "footer" all the time, but it's not right. Construction is construction; it doesn't matter if it's for a deck at your house or a roller coaster. It's still a footing. I know people will continue to call it "footer" until the end of time, but just thought I'd let everyone know the proper term is footing. Check any construction book or even Wikipedia.

FOOTING

Tomato, tamata. This argument is rather pointless.

It's mostly dependent on what type of earth the site has and the load the footer will bear. This can range anywhere from a few to hundreds of feet.

X-Flight @ SFGAM has footers that range from 30-77 feet deep.

It's mostly dependent on what type of earth the site has and the load the footer will bear. This can range anywhere from a few to hundreds of feet.

X-Flight @ SFGAM has footers that range from 30-77 feet deep.

That actually makes sense, thanks for the answer