TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best B&M Coaster Type?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for my personal preference, my favorites are the Hyper, followed by the Dive Machine, and then the Invert (so basically, BGW). The first two are because I prefer airtime, drops, and speed, and Hypers and Dive Machines are the best coasters they have for this, and the last is because their Inverts are some of the most intense coasters around.

As for what I think they actually do the best (that is, their best product, compared to the industry as a whole, not just my preference), I'd say Inverts, Flyers, Floorless, and Wing Coasters (in that order). Their Inverts and Flyers are miles better than anything similar (though I'm personally not a huge fan of Flyers), and their Floorless and Wing Coasters are popular, visually impressive, and fairly unique in the industry. While B&Ms Hypers are probably a superior product in some respects, I feel that in ride experience there's no comparison to the Intamin Hypers. And as for Dive Machines, I think the less costly competitors (Eurofighters, mostly) could give them run for their money (though I'd personally take the Dive Machine). They were the best in the industry at Stand Ups, but that's not saying much, and I feel like the standard Sit-down coaster was just a stepping stone to the Floorless coaster.

1. Inverted- I've only been on two (Afterburn & Alpengeist), and Afterburn is my favorite. I just love that "yank" it has on the first drop. Alpengeist is a bit on the forceless side, but makes up for it with it's incredible speed. I think the reason I like Afterburn better is because of it's re-rideability and forces but Alpengeist felt more like a one-time thing.

2. Hypers- I love the seating, the sustained floater air, and awesome drops. Even my least favorite, Apollo's Chariot (I know, I know, sat in the middle) has a pretty good drop. That tunnel before the 3rd hill is an incredible head-chopper. I couldn't put my hands down even when I tried. The rest of the ride was meh, but I liked that drop back into the trench which really surprised me. My favorite two are tied (Intimidator & Goliath @ SFOG), and Intimidator has a slight edge just for the open-air seating and smoothness. Goliath had a bad rattle, but it made up for it with it's incredible airtime and forceful helix.

3. Dive Machines- I think I might just like these for the first drop, but they are breathtaking. If Griffon is anything like Sheikra or Oblivion, I've got to make it out to Florida and England soon.

4. Flying- I really liked S:UF at SFOG. It uses the terrain to it's advantage, making it the best of the 3 Superman clones. It has a forceful pretzel loop, and I like the gliding through the rest of the course. It's right outside of my top 10 steel.

5. Stand-Up- I've only been on Vortex at Carowinds, and it has some decent forces. I only get a bit of head-banging on these, I don't have the problems that most guys complain about saying that their goodies hurt.

I think I have to go with inverted, the simple reason being that I have not been on a single bad inverted coaster, with my list consisting of Katun, 2 Batman clones, Great Bear, Dragon Challenge and Montu. For other styles I have always ranked hyper very highly, but I have only ridden Nitro and that was back in 2008 and I don't know how I would feel about the ride now. Flyers also deserve a honorable mention as they provide what might be the greatest inversion ever created (pretzel loop).

Mine is a tie between Invert and Floorless. Until I ride Kumba and Dragon Khan.

I generally put sitdowns/floorless together as there are so few of the first and the floorless coaster was basically a replacement/improvement of those.

For me it is also a tide between those very same types. While floorless coasters might no have the crazy g forces and transitions some inverts have they generally provide a good compromise between inversions, length, smoothness and forces.

For example, superman in Madrid doesn't have (apart from the first drop in the back) any Oh Sh!t! moment but I still like it a lot. it just feels very "complete" in terms of the ride experience and as I'm a fan of multi looping coasters it's even better.