TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skee Ball Inc. sues Skee Ball league

A good friend of mine is a member of the Williamsburg brew skee-ball league. They have tournaments at The Full Circle Bar in Brooklyn. Skee Ball Inc. has decided to sue the bar for using their name.

Via The New York Post-

Skee Ball, the game generations of Brooklyn kids grew up playing on the Coney Island boardwalk, has gone big league — with teams of lawyers turning it into a federal case.

For those who didn’t grow up in Brooklyn, the game resembles bowling, but players roll balls up an incline and aim for holes instead of pins.

The equipment was made on Coney Island back in 1929, and although Skee Ball Inc. moved, it’s still the only manufacturer.

The game — which some people still call Brooklyn’s national sport — has taken off, and machines can be found in restaurants around the country.

It also became a fad with hipsters — including the ones who colonized Williamsburg, home of the Full Circle Bar.

The watering hole hosts its own league and proclaims itself the “National Home of Brew-Skee Ball.”

Now Skee Ball Inc. is claiming trademark infringement and has gone — where else? — to Brooklyn federal court.

“We think they’re trading off the Skee Ball name,” said Richard Idell, a lawyer for the firm.

The bar says it’s doing the manufacturer a favor by raising the game’s profile.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/hey_skee_daddle_gPPYfn6GZ96cxsKVbf9z0I#ixzz1iPXQPpOr

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

^Seriously. If a bunch of like minded individuals decided to get together to show interest in my company then I'd welcome them with open arms. It's kind of like how theme parks embrace TPR. It's good business to embrace the people who like your product so much they've joined a group to support it (and good marketing).

Wow! First of all, I'm on the Skee Ball League side, though they really should've given permission to Skee Ball to use their name. Other than that, Skee Ball is really pathetic by suing it's own customers. This really is going to bring down sales for the company and how much money are they going to get from the league and does this mean all theme parks with a sign stating "Skee Ball" are also going to be sued? This is just incredible.

I love skee-ball. Unfortunatly now I'll think about this lawsuit the next time I play, which is kinda a downer when playing a fun simple game. I understand skee-ball wanting to protect their brand, but this really seems pointless. "Brew-skee-ball" seems mutually beneficial for skee-ball and the league. I actually hope the idea of skee-ball leagues spread because it seems like it would be a blast.

I also understand the desire to protect a "brand name." After all, trampoline, aspirin, dry ice, and many other now common words were once specific brands.

However, if Skee-Ball is smart, they can parlay this into a big hit at bars nationwide. If I were them, I'd love to see Skee-Ball machines in more than just amusement parks and arcades.

I also understand the desire to protect a "brand name." After all, trampoline, aspirin, dry ice, and many other now common words were once specific brands.

However, if Skee-Ball is smart, they can parlay this into a big hit at bars nationwide. If I were them, I'd love to see Skee-Ball machines in more than just amusement parks and arcades.

Once again, I find myself agreeing with Chuck 100%.