TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lakemont and Delgrosso Tips?

This Saturday I'm looking to make a day trip from the DC area up to Lakemont and Delgrosso's to get the credits and perhaps whatever other rides might look worthwhile. I'm thinking I'll head to Lakemont to start the day then proceed to Delgrosso's. I just have a few questions going in.

1. Are there any "must-rides" other than the credits? Are either of the parks worth getting unlimited rides? Are any of the coasters worth more than a ride or two or are any of the other rides good enough/different enough to justify it?

2. Is the food good at either park, or should I plan on bringing my own stuff to picnic with between parks?

3. What time does Delgrosso's close typically? I can't seem to find that anywhere on their web site.

Thanks, any tips or info would be good to hear as I've never been to either park.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, lakemont has just the typical park food...nothing special about the food.

The rides at lakemont that you gotta hit is most of them. Rides like the twister and sky diver are hard to find anymore. You also have to remember that they now charge extra to ride leap the dips. Not much though, and you get a special ticket.You can get thru this park in a couple of hours.The skyliner coaster is very under rated.

Delgrosso is a cute little park. We did not get the all you can ride, because most of the rides they have, you can ride almost anywhere else. We got enough tickets to ride the coaster, indoor himalaya, and one more spinny ride. The food is killer. You have to eat the pasta. You can also buy bottles of the sauce on your way out.It's half the price of what it is in the stores. You can get thru this park in just over an hour.

Lakemont just re-did their food services last year I believe, and their food is good, but Delgrosso's is absolutely spectacular, and very reasonably priced. Lakemont's Skyliner may be the most under-rated coaster ever, it's solidly in my personal top 10 list. If you do decided to get the ride all day pass at Delgrosso's, you can save $5 by bringing in the label from a jar of their sauce.

I visited both parks last year, and I'll just tell you what I did, because I think it worked out really well. I got to lakemont around 1 PM and got the ride all day pass (though it was a Wednesday so it was only $3) and spent a few hours there. Got my LTD credit, did skyliner a few times, also did Toboggan and Sky Diver and a couple other little rides you don't see much any more. Then I went up to Delgrosso's to eat and get their wild mouse credit. Nothing else really appealed to me there, it was all newer stuff you can find anywhere, so I went back to Lakemont, did a round of mini golf, and then just rode Skyliner until they closed. Ended up with like 25 rides including 9 in a row without getting off.

I was thinking of doing a similar trip at some point but as part of a larger trip to Kennywood.

Would trying to do Idlewild along with Lakemont and DelGrosso's in one day work?

I was thinking about leaving early from Richmond (5:00 AM or so) and drive to DelGrosso's, Lakemont, and Idlewild. Spend the night in a hotel and then go to Kennywood the next day. Is that doable or would there be a diminished fun factor to that kind of schedule?

^I tried that once, the trouble is that some of the attrcations at Idlewild close early. I missed out on Story Book Forest, not a big deal if you are just trying to whore coasters, but it's a big miss if you are an historical fan of parks.

Edited by larrygator

^I tried that once, the trouble is that some of the attrcations at Idlewild close early. I missed out on Mister Roger's Neighborhood, not a big deal if you are just trying to whore coasters, but it's a big miss if you are an historical fun of parks.

I agree. Idlewild is surprisingly nice and probably deserves a bit more time than Lakemont or DelGrosso's. Half a day there seems like reasonable amount of time to spend there.

I would do delgrosso first and eat lunch before you leave, and then spend the rest of the day at lakemont.

After reading the rave reviews of the food that sounds like a great idea.

If you're looking to be a credit whore, Delgrosso's will allow you to ride their Wacky Worm, which unless I'm blind has not yet been mentioned in this thread.

I figure if I end up getting a bracelet I'll go ahead and hop on, but if I just get enough tickets for the mouse I'll probably pass it up; I'm a credit whore as long as it doesn't cost me any extra cash.

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

Don't forget about the potato salad at Murf's Kitchen at Delgrosso's! It's really good! Also, in my opinion, the Space Oddyssey there is a must-do. It's one of the few working caterpillars left in operation, and the ride itself is... well, you just have to experience it for yourself. Blacklight ninja kitty rules!

Jason "'Tainted Love' Will Forever Be Linked With the Behemoth-Flyer Trip" R.

Also, in my opinion, the Space Oddyssey there is a must-do. It's one of the few working caterpillars left in operation, and the ride itself is... well, you just have to experience it for yourself. Blacklight ninja kitty rules!

Jason "'Tainted Love' Will Forever Be Linked With the Behemoth-Flyer Trip" R.

I have to second that. That ride is awesome. And every time I hear that song, I can't help, but think about that ride and that trip!