TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Discussion: B&M and their longevity

2010 marks the 20th birthday of the first B&M rollercoaster Iron Wolf. This led me thinking how long it would take before we'd see the first B&M scrapped or removed. We all know B&M is known for it's smooth and reliable rollercoasters but there's also the so called B&M rattle that some coasters suffer from.

Why do you think no B&M coaster has already been scrapped? Is it because they're more expensive to built? Or is it simply because no B&M coaster is in a bad enough state that it requires removing? Also, how long do you think before we'll see the first one scrapped?

Discuss away!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they are great rides, with great reliability and thruput. They are very popular with the general public as well. I can tell you that it looks like the first one to disappear may be the first one ever built....Iron wolf. This is of course if the rumors are true about chang finding it's way to the park.

One of my favorite types of coasters, are B&M inverts.

I've always wandered the same thing. Just think, back in the late 80's enthusiasts probably thought Arrow would be in business forever! They may have even thought of Arrow of how we now think of B&M. But than again, I'm sure people in the 80's weren't dumb enough to think Arrows had good transitions.

In general, if a park has the money and they don't want a completely unique one of a kind ride, B&M is usually the best company to go with for a major coaster. They have the highest capacity rides and the most reliable rides, and they are also very popular due to their smoothness and intensity. In addition, B&M offers a number of different train configurations that have all been proven to work well and numerous styles of ride layouts ranging from incredibly intense inverted coasters to airtime-filled mega coasters.

In the US, at least, it seems that every major coaster park has some type of B&M coaster. I know of only one or two that don't, but that is because they are smaller parks. For a minor park, getting a B&M used can sometimes put them on the map, and is likely the reson that B&M coasters are sold rather than scrapped when they are removed from a specific park. As long as there is someone willing to buy a ride, why scrap it?

I highly doubt that any B&M coasters will be scrapped in the immediate future, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of them find new homes, especially the first three stand-ups. I doubt a B&M will be scrapped until one has run long enough that the maintenance costs don't justify the benefits of having the particular ride and it is in such bad shape that no park wants to buy it.

About the cost of scrapping one, it probably would cost as much or more as buying a new one. If it was to the point where it was falling apart, beyond repair and no longer safe to operate, the park would have no other choice really. Knowing Six Flags' finanacial situation though, I think they'll leave Iron Wolf running even after they put up Chang.