TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Question

Hey everyone I'm new here, I hope yall can deal with me till I can catch up to all the information here. I just have a few questions about Dollywood. I want to go in August for two days. I'm trying to find out where I should stay, we will leave Friday morning and go to the park Friday afternoon and Saturday. It will just be two adults going so a small room is fine. I'm looking into doing one of the Dollywood packages for 2 days passes and a hotel together if it's cheaper. My questions are where should we stay, and how busy is the park durning this time. Do I need to buy the Q pass or whatever it's called at this park. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The park will most certainly be packed (well, depending on the weather, I guess) on a Friday and Saturday in August. The park has some pretty good package deals online, so I would look those up and make a reservation as soon as you can. Dollywood's Q-Bot is a relatively good value, and with summer-weekend crowds, I would definitely look into taking advantage of one.

Have fun! Dollywood is a great park.

I don't know which hotels offer packages with park tickets, but when my fiancé and I go to Dollywood we stay at the Econo Lodge Riverside in Pigeon Forge (on the Parkway at traffic light #2). He actually calls it the "Econo-Hilton" because the rooms are very nice and it just doesn't even seem like an Econo Lodge. The prices are good and the staff is always very nice too!

Your best bet as far as tickets to the park might actually be to buy season passes, as the price of a season pass is less than the price of two one-day tickets, plus then you can get in for the rest of the year in case you happen to go back.

Unfortunately I don't know much about how crowded the park is in the summer since all of my trips there have been during the Christmas season, but hopefully I've helped a little at least! Have fun on your trip!

As far as the crowds go and Q-bots - I always love to get a Q-Bot. The thing I found about Dollywood (which I LOVE LOVE LOVE) is that the park looks REALLY crowded, but the lines for the rides are quite short. Alot of their guests are there for shows, etc... The good thing about their Q-bot is that it lets you reserve shows as well. Plus - it was one of the least expensive Q-bots I've ever seen.

You are going to have a FANTASTIC time!! Get the Cinnamon Bread from the Grist Mill. It totally gave me a foodgasm.

I always enjoy staying in Gatlinburg when we visit Dollywood... there is much more atmosphere there (think quaint, redneck ski village) and it is fun to walk around at night. We have stayed at the Hampton Inn, Clarion Inn, LeConte View Inn, and the Edgewater Hotel and all have been nice.

Instead of spending two full days at Dollywood, I would recommend sightseeing in the area the first day, and then at 3pm go to Dollywood for the evening. If you arrive after 3pm, you can visit Dollywood on the second day for free!

More information here: http://www.dollywood.com/dollywood-q10057-c10056-After_300_PM_Next_Day_FREE.aspx

I would suggest renting a Q-bot both days, as they are discounted after 3pm as well (although they may be sold out). You can certainly experience everything Dollywood has to offer in this amount of time, and get to explore the Smokey Mountains as well during your trip! (Or check out Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies, Ober Gatlinburg, etc).

Are you interested in cabins? When in August will you be attending?

If your looking for cabins Dollywood Vacations has some really amazing deals on Dollywood and Dollywood's Splash Country. I do believe you can get discount Dixie Stampede tickets through them (and possibly Ripley's Aquarium tickets, but you would have to check that by calling them as well). Here is the link to their special offers: http://www.dollywood.com/vacations-q10171-c10000-Special_Offers.aspx You may want to sign up for the park's email list if you have not already. Dollywood Vacations send out an email every few weeks with new offers, the current one is "Stay in May, Dollywood is on us." They always have length of stay passes (up to 7 days) available for the same price as a one day ticket (55.90 with tax for adult), always free parking, and they have recently started a complimentary one day pass to Dollywood's Splash Country as well. You also receive a coupon book for the parks ($600 value) when you stay with Dollywood Vacations. Season passholders receive 20% off cabin rental so it may even be beneficial to buy your season pass online now and then call once you receive them and save 20% on your cabin (you still receive the coupon book and such I believe), if you do have season pass you have to call to get the discount instead of reserving online without one. If you are choosing Dollywood Vacations I recommend calling early because they book pretty quick.

Since your going in August and if you don't already know their doing "DOLLYWOOD NIGHTS" this year August 2 - 8 the park will be open 10 a.m. - 10 p.m. (which they are only normally open 10-7 then) it is also the only time before Smoky Mountain Christmas that you can ride the coasters in complete darkness. So if it's possible to go then it would be a great time. That is typically a busy week as it is the last week before school starts but with 3 hours extra each night it will make it better. Also the "Arrive After 3, Next Day Free" offer is still valid then (if you do not choose the Dollywood Vacations option.)

Hope this really long post helps.

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking we will drive down Friday morning and try to hit the park on Friday. Maybe it wont be as crowed as it will be Saturday. On Saturday it's his Birthday so he can decide then what to do, even go back or the waterpark or anything else there to do. Thanks so much again for the info. One more question is the water park at the same place dollywood is at?

Ok I'm getting ready to book a room and I have one more question. What would you do. We are leaving Bedford VA Friday morning. We can leave really early like 4am and go to the park Friday. Or we can drive down take our time and site see Friday and go to the Park Saturday. I don't know how much crowd difference there will be from Friday or Saturday. We are going 8/6-8/7 so it's going to be before school starts. I want to rent Q2Q so I know I need to get there before everyone else gets them.

Don't forget if you go to the park after 3pm on Friday you can get in for free on Saturday. So if you take your time driving you can get there around that time and basically get Friday at the park for free. I would probably not get a Q2Q on Friday and get one on Saturday if the lines start to get over 20 minutes.

The best way to use it is to reserve a ride the second you use your last reservation. So what I would do is use mine to get into the station of a coaster and I'd get in line for a row. While I was in line for that row I'd reserve the next ride using my Q2Q and by the time I'd get off the wait would be 5 or 10 minutes shorter. Then if the ride wasn't near where I was I'd walk there and by the time I got to the ride my wait would be up. The wait times on the Q2Q depend on how long the regular line is. I suggest getting one if it will save you time. You can get about 1.8 times as many rides in as you normally would.

I don't know which hotels offer packages with park tickets, but when my fiancé and I go to Dollywood we stay at the Econo Lodge Riverside in Pigeon Forge (on the Parkway at traffic light #2). He actually calls it the "Econo-Hilton" because the rooms are very nice and it just doesn't even seem like an Econo Lodge. The prices are good and the staff is always very nice too!

Your best bet as far as tickets to the park might actually be to buy season passes, as the price of a season pass is less than the price of two one-day tickets, plus then you can get in for the rest of the year in case you happen to go back.

Unfortunately I don't know much about how crowded the park is in the summer since all of my trips there have been during the Christmas season, but hopefully I've helped a little at least! Have fun on your trip!

Heehee, that would be me... I really can't recommend this hotel enough if you're looking for something to stay on a budget. It's tough to find though. I think it was actually under a different name before adopting the Econo Lodge name, because it's website is unique. http://www.econolodge-pigeonforge.com/

I just did a quick price quote for August 6-7 and came up with $89.99.

Add in 1 regular season pass, and 1 gold season pass and your total would be another 89 and 122 for a total of $301, but that would also let you go to Dollywood on both days, free parking (and you can get your money back from parking the first day after you buy the season pass, too), and the gold pass gets you 20% off *EVERYTHING* in the park... souvenirs, food, and even skyzip. I've never tried Q-Bot there because I've never seen lines that would make it worthwhile, but I'm sure you'd get 20% off that too with the gold pass. Oh, and the food there is SO good (especially the Cinnamon Bread from the Grist Mill!)

That and with a single-day ticket to Dollywood being $55.90, as my fiancee mentioned the passes pay for themselves with 2 visits.

It's a 10-hour drive for us, and I've had a gold season pass since 2006!

Thanks for all the tips, I booked the Econo Lodge Riverside today, I went ahead and got a jacuzzi room that will face the river. It was 98 a night with military discount which I think is a good price, because it sounds like a great hotel. I booked for Friday and Saturday night she said if we decide to only stay one night we can let them know by 11am and we wont be billed for both nights, but I have a feeling we will go ahead and make a full weekend out of it. They offer militay discounts on the tickets to so I'm going to wait and decide what kind of ticket to get when we get there. Thanks again for all the info I can't wait to go.

Thanks for the info, how busy will the park be do you think? If we go on Friday afternoon can we do a few things or most things. I also want to do the Sky Zip.

SkyZip is a lot of fun, you should plan about 1 and a half hours for the entire experience. (If you decide to get a Gold Season Pass you also get 20% off of SkyZip as well).

Also to note Dollywood's military discountfor "active or retired military, disabled veterans, and military reservists, spouses and dependents when valid military personnel IDs and dependent IDs are presented" is 30% off at the gate making the tickets $39.10 after tax. So make sure you don't pay more than that since he is in the military. Also to note those tickets can be used for the "After 3 offer" and are eligible to be upgraded to a Season Pass for the same price as if you paid for a full price admission ticket, I think (may want to check for sure).

Thanks for all the tips, I booked the Econo Lodge Riverside today, I went ahead and got a jacuzzi room that will face the river.

You're going to love it! That price is a steal for a jacuzzi room - see what I mean about it being an 'EconoHilton'... LOL.

While I've never had a jacuzzi room myself (yet), a couple years ago I was there with a couple of friends, and 2 of them decided to get engaged that week, and they had a jacuzzi room, so I have been in them. They are very nice rooms, even nicer than the "regular" ones I stay in... and THOSE are very nice rooms. LOL. You will not be disappointed in this hotel. I hope you have a great time in the park, too!

As for tickets, especially since you'll be in town to potentially be at the park 3 days, I would strongly encourage that one of you get the Gold season pass. (You can even ask if he would get the military discount for that, which I think he would). The 20% off everything in the park adds up VERY quickly, especially with how good the food is there.

I'm not sure what tickets to get yet, he doesn't know where were going it's for his birthday so I wont really know till we get there. It all depends on what he wants to do, he may want to do other things in the area and just do one day at the park but it will be up to him, I can go to the park every day if it was my choice. I would like to get a pass so we can maybe go back one more time, from his house it seems to be only about 4 hours.

Here's an idea for you...

You could always get a gold season pass for one of you, and after purchasing/processing, buy a one-day ticket (you get a discount on one-day tickets for friends). Then if you do decide to go back, you'd still get free parking, discount on one-day tickets as well, plus you'd still get the 20% off everything in the park (including skyzip, food, souvenirs, etc).

Just a thought.

• 1 month later...