TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^^Six Flags sure didn't cover up Yolocoaster too well. Besides, the ride ops must think that it's okay to talk about it now seeing that it has hit the news about Predator. I think that I'm the only one that still wants Sidewinder in the future too, but in my opinion, Lake Monster would be the one that I want to be built first.

^It's been two days. And please don't bump threads unless you have something with substance to add. If people want to discuss something about Darien Lake, they will.

Yes I know, I was just saying it would be nice to do some real "discussing" on the Discussion thread. Anyways I'm shocked Ride-Ops would be mentioning the Lake Monster before it's confirmation... That seems like something that in any other park would cause for punishment (Kings Island i think.. and Especially Cedar Point) I mean leave it to darien lake to loosely cover up a new coaster and all but some parks keep their new rides tightly under wraps until announcement day. Sometimes you can just see the more Laid Back aspect of it in Parks like Darien. Still excited though!

It's cool. Just remember in the future not to bump without adding anything. Thanks.

^Well i've got something to add now! I think its just a messed up tweet but i thought it was kinda funny... I replied to them "This is obiously the Lake Monster announcement" but hey, it would be cool if it were some sort of tease. (Probably not...)

lic.PNG.b4d2a8a4f8140551f7dcffe138db4a3d.PNG

I mean if it did stand for anything, what would it be?

I don't think that it has anything to do with Lake Monster. If you expand it, both people that like it are DJs, so maybe its just some abbreviation or joke between them. If it were really a teaser it would say something with more meaning (ex. GCI, RMC, or maybe part numbers like Kings Island did with Banshee)

Just an employee forgetting to sign out of the corporate twitter account.

Anyway, about LM, I can't believe the rumors that GCII was spotted on this project. It sounds like a rumor a young enthusiast started. We know HFEC has been working with RMC already, and they are known for using the same company on multiple projects. The description they give sounded exactly like a RMC product. It just wouldn't make sense to switch vendors so suddenly, especially to a vendor that hasn't proven themselves like RMC has.

GCII could very well move into the restoration/modernization business to stay competitive in the current market, but I think it will be a couple of years until they land a project of that nature. It takes a while just for the R&D, especially when they have a small crew and are fitting it inbetween projects.

The fact that no pictures were included, and that the only GCI coaster installed for Herschend was Ozark Wildcat back in 2003, makes me very skeptical about GCI getting the job. The same thing was just said about SFGAm with American Eagle getting an RMC treatment. Like I said before, GCI may not necessarily be building the coaster, but helping RMC with structural engineering, construction, etc. etc. The park did say that they would like a steel structure, which I don't recall GCI ever using. It still makes me question this because RMC does their own construction and have designed Outlaw Run by themselves without any outside help. I could be wrong but my gut tells me that this will be RMC, as Herschend was happy with Outlaw Run.

^White Lightning at Fun Spot America in Orlando is a steel structured GCI. If anything GCI has proven they can build a seriously twisted wood coaster in the smallest footprints, American Thunder being a great example of that, but are they willing to do inversions in their designs? This new project just screams RMC to me.

Is it me or does it seem like Gravity Group has fallen off the map except for their new coasters overseas, not counting re-doing Hades into Hades 360?

RMC has taken over the high-thrill end of the wooden coaster business of which TGG was formerly starting to dominate. GCII has mostly stuck to what they are good at, which is medium-sized well-packaged wooden coasters that have a wide appeal and low initial cost. With the wooden coaster market being so competitive right now, if TGG doesn't get their act together and release something new and spectacular I don't think they'll be able to last much longer.

By the way, HFEC has done plenty of business with GCII after OzCat, including Thunderhead (one of the most popular coasters in the entire chain), and a major refurbishment of Cheetah at WA. I definitely see them going back to GCII some day for a smaller coaster with family appeal.

I totally forgot about White Lightning being steel structured. I still can't see a new GCI coaster opening, because although Cheetah was retracked recently (2008), the latest new coaster was Thunderhead, which opened 9 years ago. With Predator being retracked, although GCI specializes in that, all repairs have been done through RMC. So they should be very familiar with the coaster already. As for Gravity Group, they have pretty much fallen off of the map because their coasters have been said to be getting very rough, so I don't think that it would be a good idea for them to get the job. Does anybody know who retracked Predator when Six Flags was still in control?

You can try and discredit me all you want, but I'm telling you what I saw. A guy in an olive green shirt with a GCI logo on the back doing surveying work next to the path to the hotel. I could have taken a picture, but one, creepy, and two pulling out my phone while working is prohibited.

Haven't posted here in a couple years but after visiting the park last night thought I'd post a quick update on the current state of the park for anyone who cares...

I ended up meeting soem friends at the park after I got out of work at 6pm, the park had a decent crowd for 6pm on a Monday in late August. having previously worked at the park in a non-operations role in my teenage years I have a decent familiarity with the park. Upon arriving I was pretty impressed with some of the small improvements Herschend has made, noteably landscaping and general cleanliness in MOST areas of the park, there still are a problem areas which I'll address later. Also, got a little bit of a 2014 update..

Pros:

1) The Boardwalk area, new for 2013, looks excellent! The refurb to the old food-court, the new pavement, refurb of the Carousel, and the general signage/landscpaing in the area looks great, expecially at night! The mist/water effect in the midway area is a huge hit with kids no matter the time of day. The Giant Wheel looks great with the re-painted cars and now that little things like that lights in the queue have been repaired, these had been out for porbably 5-6 years. The Anchor Bar is AMAZING being inside the park, and the prices are the exact same you find at the original location in downtown Buffalo. Blast Off, S&S Space Shot, is a very welcome addition and it looks great with the lighting at night.

2) Rowdy's Ridge area, which they put in last year looks pretty great too. Slowly it seems Herschend is refurbing the park an area at a time, which I think is a nice approach for a park this size. The flyers, Moose on the Loose, and the pulley-tower ride all seems to be huge hits for families. The only thing in this area that needs a little TLC is the blacktop in the area by the Ranger, but that is such a minor issue.

3) The new additions to the waterpark over the last couple years have def made this a very nice "included" water park. The ProSlide complex is awesome with the 4 different styles of slides. The maintenance and landscaping in the area also seems to be kept up very well. However, the Cuda Falls portion of the waterpark is closed for refurbishment. having worked at the park in the past I know that there was always talk about the pumps on that slide tower and their lack of reliability. Hopefully they are working on this issue and also working on removing Floodgate Falls, which has become an eye sore. The larger issue here though, is that I have heard they are unable to remove Floodgate Falls as it could create a potential hazard with the support for Cuda Falls since they are both built into the same hillside. Who knows, maybe they're axing both of these attractions all together and starting over on that side of the waterpark?

4) The new nighttime laser show got a welcome facelift this year and it's actually very cool. They added a 50x50 lagoon in front of the screen and it now features water elements (ala DCA fountain show, not nearly as large though), fire, lasers, fireworks, smoke, and ground pyro. The soundtrack could use some help (very Top 40/Country) but it's not like I expect them to be playing some Deadmau5 or Nine Inch Nails, which would be bad ass though!

Cons:

1) The operations on the coasters were pretty bad. Predator is down to one train and had a 20 min wait. Viper with one train was a walk-on, Mind Eraser, also one-train was 30 mins, Boomerang was a walk-on, MotoCoaster was down for maintenance, and Ride of Steel was 45 mins with one train.

2) Quite a few rides down, which is dissapointing. Rodeo Round-Up, Grizzly Run, MotoCoaster, and Pirate were all down. However, Pirate did open around 8pm for some great nightime rides over the lake! Having these 4 rides down for the day is a pretty big blow to the 48' crowd at the park.

3) The area back by the Twister, Antique Cars, Go-Karts needs an overhaul in a big way. The ride selection isn't bad, however the lack of food options, restrooms, landscaping, etc. give this area a very poor feeling, which is a shame considering how nice they've made the Rowdy's Ridge and Boardwalk portions of the park.

***2014 Update***

Ran into a friend who is still working at the park in ops and I asked about Predator. She said significant changes are coming to it in 2014 and that's about all she would mention. However, the exciting thing is that there may be more coming, not in the way of new rides necessarily (sorry, didn't ask), but there will be a general overhaul to the Predator/Ride of Steel midway area similar to what we saw in the Boardwalk area this year. I would assume some new lighting and general upgrades to the current shops/food stands, possibly a new ride? It looks like Herschend has a long-term master plan for the park and is slowly transforming it into a great regional attraction for NY State.

^This is great to hear. Herschend is doing an amazing job with the park. I have even noticed that the Corn Popper area is also being refurbished. Corn Popper and Sleighride have both been worked on, and with UFO gone, that leaves a perfectly good ride pad. As for Cuda Falls, the word around the park is that it will get the axe. This is however only a rumor, and it is coming from many park guests, not employees themselves. I have not seen one worker even near the slides at all this year, so that may be true. The new restaurant that may be coming could also go near the Twister area to liven it up. I believe that the area is called Fun Zone, and that just doesn't fit in with the Herschend way.

I would be annoyed if cuda got the ax. The slides next to cuda got pulled out, and they were my favorite. The good slides where slingshot is now also got pulled a while ago. They should be expanding the waterpark, not taking out great slides every time they put in something new.

But yeah, I know it's just a rumor.

Now if they put in a giant frisbee along with lake monster, and maybe threw in some racing slides next year, that might soften the blow a bit ; ).

Edited by Tdsblo

Realistically, if Cuda Falls were ever removed, another set of water slides would have to replace it. It would cost too much money in demolition and landscaping to remove the hill, as no ride would be able to be built on the hill. A pair of racing slides would be amazing, and the hill would work to their advantage. But seeing that Darien Lake is coming out and saying "refurbishment", I believe that this is happening. The problem may be as simple as replacing the old pumps.

How old are the Cuda Falls slides? What if, by chance, they've outlived their service life and are no longer feasible to renovate?

'Cuda Falls opened in 1994, so that would make it 20 years old in 2014 if Darien Lake decides to keep them open. There are some water parks that had/have slides that are 20 years or older and still operating one example is Raging Rapids at Martin's Fantasy Island which opened in 1984, but in recent years only one slide has been operating.

There are many other things behind the scenes that could be a problem. Concrete cracking, corrosion in supports, pump and filtration problems, and fiberglass cracking are mechanical and structural problems. Plus, the entire slide structure may be sinking or sliding due to its awkward position. The company that manufactured the slides, Waterworld Products, Inc, is out of business and there is no way to have repairs done on the slides unless it is done in house.

If they remove Cuda Falls I think they'll eliminate the bridge and use the land where Cuda Falls was for a future attraction. They could fit a Eurofighter or family sized coaster there. The waterpark has land to expand on their current side.