TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

They have really only lost two flats because scramble was removed for rowdys ridge, and I'm not sure they could put a frisbee in the ufos location due to the arching of the ride unless they had it go well over the walkway. I could see them putting scrambler in ufos location(I think they still have it). Either way I hope this doesn't mean the coaster project is dead, both would be nice but they really need the coaster more.

^ Didn't UFO have some type of major mechanical problem at the end of last season? I remember it closed sometime towards the end of August and didn't reopen for the rest of the season. That could be the cause of the delay on the refurb especially considering it's a older ride and I'm sure it's harder to find parts for it.

This season UFO wasn't the only ride closed for refurbishment, 'Cuda Falls has be down for the entire season so far for refurbishment. But they still list 'Cuda Falls on the site. But before Darien Lake adds any "new" rides, they should just fix up their older rides fist!

I have no idea what refurbishment means on Cuda Falls. The ride was just repainted and it was running fine the last time I rode it. I've heard many rumors around the park that range from the ride has pump problems to the ride is just getting taken down. If it does, I wouldn't be surprised if a Hydro Racer type ride is put in, because the land is already a hill and a lot of other parks seem happy with them. For right now, it seems like anything can happen next season.

Would be great to see this place get the addition of a new coaster.

I liked the park, nice lil place and Superman was a surprisingly awesome ride.

As it's been said, parks can be quite brilliant fitting rides in, I hope Darien Lake does this.

Is there something special about Cuda Falls that makes it worth keeping?

Yeah, I could think of at least two thing "special" about 'Cuda Falls that would make it worth keeping. It's a great beginners slide complex for kids who just reached the 48" mark and have "outgrown" Hook's Lagoon and it's the last set of slides in the original water park area.

Somehow I think that water slides have a 20 year "lifespan" because Cascade Canyon was around the same age as 'Cuda Falls when it was taken out and Floodgate Falls, it's left to rot in pieces!

I went out to Darien Lake yesterday with a good friend and figured I'd post some criticisms and some praises about the park based on my experience yesterday alone.

pros:

It rained a few times yesterday, a little in the morning and a little more at night. But I did not see ANY rides close because of this at all! That was amazing to me considering at Cedar Point, when it starts to sprinkle Dragster IMMEDIATELY closes and when it came to millennium, "Big Scary Clouds" caused a 15 minute closure every time one rolled by. But when it rained at darien, every ride was open, and to top it off, they Still did Ignite the Night even though it was raining slightly. Also, even though each ride only had one train going, the lines were moving rather fast. With the exception of RoS in the morning. I had to wait at MOST about 25 minutes for front seat Mind Eraser. I loved how predator was practically Walk-On and RoS at night, the line took 5 minutes tops. Viper was a different story, probably a 30 - 45 minute wait, and because the ride isn't too spectacular (plus it closed for technical difficulties at around 830) we didn't ride it. The laser show as always was awesome, and what I thought was cool, is the rain hitting the lasers made them seem to sparkle in a really cool way. the AC/DC song was probably the best with all the Fire. Lastly, the fries at the Boardwalk are amazing and reasonably priced in my opinion $5 for a Large? It was great. anyways...

Cons:

Even though the rides were cycling fast, there was only ONE TRAIN!! there is NO reason for every single coaster to only run one train, I don't care what they're doing to the trains! they should have had 2 trains on each ride at ALL TIMES! Do your restoration in the WINTER not in the middle of the season! That really bothered me, and not to mention, the RoS got new ride decals right? Well if we stick to calling RoS what the Decals say, it would be the R- _ of Steel. Seriously, if this is why the Blue train is gone, bring it back and get a refund. There was no reason for brand new decals to fall off so soon. Predator was very shaky in the back seat, I got off and said "Goodbye and good riddance" after riding it for the first time this season, Im looking forward to it being taken down for a new ride (if it even happens). The Blast off was a dissapointment, The line was too long, the Persons Per Hour was very low, and compared to a Real drop tower such as Power Tower at the Point, the ride was slow, short and very boring. sure it looked cool but while stitting at the boardwalk and eating / conversing, I recall it launching about 3 or 4 times in a half hour. Very poor for the brand new ride.

Well, thats all Ive got! If anything different happens on my next trip next Friday, I'll keep you Updated. Oh and has anyone ever seen this guy at the park? He refers to himself as the DL Chicken Man. I ran into him a few times and each time, i snapped a hot of him doing his chicken thing...

DSCN2253.thumb.JPG.f583e34dabc3bad2a0f6d3dfc3351e7d.JPG

Chicken Man at the Bumper Cars line

DSCN2254.thumb.JPG.3f10981a464edccb0e11b13933334bcc.JPG

Everyone on the Bumper Cars kept saying "I'm watching you, Chicken Man!" I personally T-Boned the chicken Man several TImes

DSCN2255.thumb.JPG.bda4cef39b579f21bc65ff4d366cc891.JPG

This was the creepy, yet cool thing he did, First he would stand on the Predator's exit ramp and stare at riders boarding the RoS...

DSCN2256.thumb.JPG.5bc1ee39886c212f7bde8fb477820b2b.JPG

Then as the ride went through its circuit, he moved up to the fence to watch them get back off...

DSCN2258.thumb.JPG.c74e8084a9e0cfe5787795944df35b14.JPG

And lastly, when he saw them all leaving the station, he would run to the exit of the gift shop and just stare at them form a distance.

DSCN2259.thumb.JPG.aed733cb1fa793e1adc2bd46cc99a368.JPG

He finally caught me taking pictures in line for the MotoCoaster and ironically this was where he found 2 of his kind.

DSCN2260.thumb.JPG.bceef9f606f1dff42e9394fed36102ac.JPG

After this Photo, The chicken man told me he had a facebook page, only 5 people liked it before me, but every ride operator and game operator knew about the chicken man. really made the day a lot more fun with all the chicken spottings! If you see him, he is always willing to take pictures for free, as you can tell by all the ones I got. Turned out I knew the guy who called himself Chicken Man so I can say proudly he will be back with me by his side next Friday!

I hope you all liked the chicken spottings!

Funny you mention that about the decals falling off, a couple of weeks ago, it read "de of Steel". It was quickly fixed, but now it fell off again. If this is the reason for the blue train being off (refurbishment) the park should be ashamed. No reason for one train operations even if there is a 5 minute wait.

It is very unusual for a 5 minute wait on any ride at DL. Maybe the weather drove a lot of people away. I usually go every weekend, and on a normal summer weekend, RoS will average a 30-45 minute wait depending on the crew working and if everything goes good maintenance wise.

I usually head to the park on weekdays, preferably tuesdays, In my past experiences, Tuesdays are the best for practical "Walk-on" style rides which Everybody loves! It's like having a FastPass, in a park that doesn't offer FastPass... if that makes any sense. And seeing that its a smaller park, less waiting is always better! Plus, you can only take so much waiting for 6 Coasters...

It would be fine with me if they ran one train during the week. I went last year on Thursdays and it wasn't really packed. But on

Fridays and on the weekend, two trains are a must. If the park doesn't want to run two trains all of the time, there were these great things invented called transfer tracks. The park should learn how to use them.

I usually head to the park on weekdays, preferably tuesdays, In my past experiences, Tuesdays are the best for practical "Walk-on" style rides which Everybody loves! It's like having a FastPass, in a park that doesn't offer FastPass... if that makes any sense. And seeing that its a smaller park, less waiting is always better! Plus, you can only take so much waiting for 6 Coasters...

Was there a flashpass in the Six Flags days?

Was there a flashpass in the Six Flags days?

I don't know, I only went to Darien Lake twice when Six Flags owned it and I don't they had a Flashpass system. I think Six Flags started the Flashpass system after they sold Darien Lake.

I've only seen like 4 people ever use the system when it was around. It's senseless to use it now, but the park really does need to consider doing more maintenance in the winter rather than in the middle of the year. I think that everything (besides Boomerang, M.E., and Moto) will run two trains next year because if Lake Monster goes through, attendance will skyrocket.

When Darien Lake had the Flash Pass/Rapid Ride system they only had a few rides that had utilized it, Ride of Steel, Mind Eraser, Viper?, Twister, Motocoaster?, and I think Boomerang. I never bother to buy it just because it's expensive and the lines never had no more than an hour wait time.