TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

JZ's Holiday World Visit May 20th

Hey TPR!

(Yes, James..I'm finally going to Holiday World)

I'm hitting up Holiday World for the first time tomorrow, May 20th. I'll be there alllllll day! I've heard nothing but great things about this park (Besides their Pepsi ) and I can't wait to go.

I'm sure the lines will be short, I called ahead and there aren't any planned events like Math and Science day.

What're the best places to eat?

Best seats on the coasters?

How wet do you get on the log flume/rapids ride?

Anyone going to be there tomorrow?

Expect a LOT of photos!

Thanks for the help, TPR!

-Zach

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We found the best place to eat is the restaurant right across from Gobbler Getaway. The food is quite good and the prices are reasonable. As for coasters, the first bench of the last car on Raven is my favorite seat. As for Voyage, you do get some nice air in the back car, but I think I do prefer the very front row. The same goes for Legend. Legend is more of a lateral rather than an airtime machine. You do get very wet on the rapids and Plunge. I never ridden the log ride, so I am not really sure about that one.

OH! I almost forgot!

What's with their 'loose articles policy'...I've heard people complaining about that, and I'll have my camera bag, if not a backpack...will I be able to put it on the ride of most of the rides?

And how about photography while in the waterpark?

I checked the website and couldn't really find something on the rides and if they had bins.

That was what I've been most worried about...

-Zach

They are VERY STRICT with loose items, this includes items that are in your pockets. They however have free lockers/cubbies for most of the rides. You can just give them to the ride operators before the next train arrvies in the station. It really is not much of a hassle at all.

Best place to eat - Good luck, the food is just average.

Not bad food, just average. Tex/Mex at The Alamo is average, Pizza at Kringles Kafe is average (but if I remember correctly they have Sweet Tea there), Pork Tenderloin sandwich at Zoombabwe Grill was disappointing, BBQ Pork at BBQ USA was average. But Holiday World does have good fudge.

On the log flume, my log stayed bone dry. I think only about 25% of my raft got slightly wet on the rapids.

You picked a great day to go. The park will be dead. Guaranteed.

Typically, you don't get too wet on the log ride. Your shoes will probably take the most abuse there. On the raft ride, there is usually one "unlucky" seat per ride that gets all the soaking. Most of the rest will stay fairly dry. But it's random. You will get wet on Pilgrim's Plunge.

The Plymouth Rock cafe is the spot to eat. A ton of good homestyle food on the cheap. But do try the pizza and fudge while you are there. They also have great soft-serve ice cream at a few places.

And even though the water will be freezing, don't skip the waterpark. It's a ton of fun and will be especially dead because the water is still cold.

Do not miss the high dive show. It's great.

Can't wait to see your TR. I'm very tempted to come and join you, but I've already got plans to meet up with Big Mike on Friday. But just in case, what do you plan on wearing?

Have fun!

Hey Zach!

Don't forget to try some of Holiday World's pizza. It's VERY good.

I like to ride all 3 coasters in the back. Raven is more enjoyable, Legend has one of the best first drops around along with two good airtime hills, and the Voyage is just all out insanity.

If your planning on going to Spashin' Safari, the water will probably be very cold, but all the slides should be walk-ons.

You picked a great day to go. The park will be dead. Guaranteed.

Typically, you don't get too wet on the log ride. Your shoes will probably take the most abuse there. On the raft ride, there is usually one "unlucky" seat per ride that gets all the soaking. Most of the rest will stay fairly dry. But it's random. You will get wet on Pilgrim's Plunge.

The Plymouth Rock cafe is the spot to eat. A ton of good homestyle food on the cheap. But do try the pizza and fudge while you are there. They also have great soft-serve ice cream at a few places.

And even though the water will be freezing, don't skip the waterpark. It's a ton of fun and will be especially dead because the water is still cold.

Do not miss the high dive show. It's great.

Can't wait to see your TR. I'm very tempted to come and join you, but I've already got plans to meet up with Big Mike on Friday. But just in case, what do you plan on wearing?

Have fun!

I think the blog said the water will be 74 degreese, haha. Oh well, tons of Pro Slide action I need.

Not sure..the high is supposed to be 83, so most likely my obviously blue Fox shirt. That's pretty much my theme park shirt. Umm...yeah, I'll be there all day.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, Zach. Now I'll just have to tease you about Indiana Beach. Been there? What, you haven't?

-James Dillaman

What? Haven't been on the amazing 420ft Giant Drop in Australia? ORRR the amazing Scooby's Spooky Coaster?

Shameeee....

That was the name of the place we ate at. Yeah, it was pretty good.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, Zach. Now I'll just have to tease you about Indiana Beach. Been there? What, you haven't?

-James Dillaman

What? Haven't been on the amazing 420ft Giant Drop in Australia? ORRR the amazing Scooby's Spooky Coaster?

Shameeee....

Proximity is my excuse. For only living a scant few hours away, and having a car, not going to Indiana Beach is borderline inexcusable.

And don't miss the dive show, it's pretty fun.

Splashin' Safari is my favorite waterpark at an amusement park. Be sure and hit it.

I can't wait to see your photos, Zach. Wish I could go, but I have a recording session that night, so it's out of the question.

-James Dillaman

Here is my *guide* to Holiday World:

Holiday World is a medium-sized park in the quaint little town of Santa Claus, IN. Besides a small memorial for Abraham Lincoln and a new Candy Shop, the park is pretty much the only thing around. The Koch's own most of the land around there, meaning plenty of room for park expansion.

When arriving at the park you will be directed Left or Right, into the Legend or Raven parking lots. First awesome thing you will notice; FREE PARKING! (Remember this when reaching the ticket booths...)

After walking past the famous Raven, which should be testing about that time (assuming you get to the park at least 10 minutes before opening; you better), you will find yourself buying tickets. I believe the 2008 adult general admission was $37.95. Steep for this size of a park, but may I remind you, this price includes FREE admission to the waterpark, FREE parking, FREE sunscreen, FREE inner-tubes, and FREE UNLIMITED SOFT DRINKS! (Yes, you read that correctly.)

Inter the park and stand in line at the entrance the Halloween section. When the ribbon is cut, walk at a swift pace all the way down to Thanksgiving and the Voyage. Make sure the hit the very front seat first, for that line itself gets to be 150% longer than any other seat as the day goes on. After your awesome ride, circle back down and around and get in line again for the very back seat. After 61 rides on the TGG masterpiece, I can assure you the back seat will give you once of the most INSANE, force-filled journey of your entire life! I won't go far into detail, but the first drop and triple-down are two of the best experiences on a wooden coaster.

After a few more trips on the Voyage, grab a ride on Gobbler Getaway. This line gets longer at the end of the day, and while it's a fun little dark ride, it's not worth a long wait. Now head a bit farther up the hill to Pilgrims Plunge. Ride this a couple times, as you never know when it will go down...

Around this time, Splashin' Safari, one of the best waterparks in the country, will open. Run down there (using the new pathway under the Voyage) to get a locker, change, and make your way to all of the major slides, starting with Bakuli. Lines shouldn't build up just yet, but prepare yourself, they WILL come. After a lap on Bakuli, Zinga, and Zoombabwe, do what you please in the giant waterpark until around 1:15. Get changed and exit the waterpark by 1:30, heading up to Kringle's Kafe. As everyone piles into Splashin' Safari, Holiday World slowly begins to empty. The Kafe serves some of the best pizza and cheese fries I've ever eaten, at incredibly reasonable prices. The amount you pay for one meal at Six Flags will feed a whole family here. Grab a free soft drink, and relax for a bit. There's no rush, for lines should be shortening right now.

After finishing your food, exit towards the entrance to the park, and veer of for a quick stop in Santa Claus Land (kiddie area). Back in the far corner is a new Moser Spring Ride called Reindeer Games. Though small, looks can be deceiving. This is an incredibly fun ride for the whole family. You are never too old to have fun! smile.gif

Next up is Raven. By now the wait should be no longer than 10 minutes with one train, or a walk-on if running two trains. Don't waste your time in the front seat. Plant yourself in the backseat, and get ready for one wild ride! While Raven isn't very long, it's very smooth, and the layout seems to get better and better every time you ride it! The notorious 'fifth drop' into the ravine is incredible, and definitely a main reason that this CCI woodie held a #1 spot for multiple years.

After a few rides on Raven, head farther down into Halloween for The Legend. Now, I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the Legend. If you sit in the back seat, there are a few pops of airtime, but the insane lateral forces make you forget about those. I don't understand...did CCI forget to bank the track? I can understand that woodies are supposed to give you an 'out-of-control' sensation, but this is pretty ridiculous. Painfully ridiculous.

Once will most likely be enough for you on Legend, so turn left and make your way down to Frightful Falls, a unique log flume with concrete borders. Nothing too special, but the tunnel at the beginning is unique, and the final drop gets my stomach every time. Make sure to strike a pose!

From here on out, the order of rides to reach doesn't really matter. Lines are consistently pretty low for the other rides. Don't miss Raging Rapids, Liberty Launch, or the Turkey Whirl, though. While small, they also pack a punch! Oh, and there is another credit back in Hol-i-Dog Town for all you whores. (Guilty as charged...wink.gif) And yes, Holiday World DOES have a steel coaster.

Make sure to stay at the park till closing, and try to get a dark ride at the end of the night on The Voyage. While rare (because the park tends to close early), these are truly amazing experiences, and well worth waiting the entire afternoon for!

Holiday World is a very fun amusement park, and is definitely the most 'family-friendly' park you will ever find. The staff is nice, and I doubt you'll find a single piece of litter on the many pathways.

Hope this helps, and have a great trip!

Wow....well, I know that was a copy, and it still helps, but I won't think I'll be needing to rush around as much. I think I'm going to take it VERY leisurely. Especially since I hear there weren't any crowds today.

I'm heading to Raven first, which I'm most anticipating.

Then Legend...then Voyage.

I'll fit in all the other rides inbetween, then maybe go on over to the Water park. I figure I will since they have some kick ass slides. I doubt I'd be there 2-3 hours. I like to ride as many rides as possible, especially since it's a one day trip...and it closes at five thirty.

^LOL, well yes...my plan is more for an average day in July/August...what you have planned sounds like it will work out just fine. (I did the same last Friday.)

Just thought I would pitch in and try to offer a bit of help.

When arriving at the park you will be directed Left or Right, into the Legend or Raven parking lots. First awesome thing you will notice; FREE PARKING! (Remember this when reaching the ticket booths...)

Yes - remember not to give money to non existent park lot attendant.

If someone tries to scam you and walks up to your car as you are getting out of it and asks for a parking fee, DON'T FALL FOR IT!

Yes - remember not to give money to non existent park lot attendant.

If someone tries to scam you and walks up to your car as you are getting out of it and asks for a parking fee, DON'T FALL FOR IT!

I'll splash my free Diet Pepsi in their face Larry, don't you worry!

Not what I meant, Larry.

What I meant was, when you walk up to the ticket booths to find relatively steep admission prices, keep in mind that you didn't have to pay for parking, and won't have to pay for soft drinks, inner tubes, or sunscreen.

Don't tell me that your middle school English teacher didn't tell you (every day) to 'read between the lines'.