TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Camelot Theme Park Goes Into Receivership

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lancashire/7868241.stm

A troubled Lancashire theme park and hotel has been put into receivership.

Camelot, which is in Charnock Richard, near Chorley, has struggled to compete with attractions such as Blackpool Pleasure Beach in recent years.

Receivers say they are optimistic about finding a buyer for the hotel, but the park looks unlikely to reopen in April following its winter break.

Owner Prime Resorts made 18 hotel staff redundant last month. A further 29 jobs are being axed in the receivership.

Managers have made no secret of the theme park's problems and have been pursuing plans to close it and build new village on the site.

In 2006, Chief Executive Roy Page predicted the park "would not exist much past the next seven to 10 years".

The theme park, which employed 21 permanent staff during the winter months, was due to open on 4 April. The hotel employs 80 staff.

Discussions are ongoing as to the future of the site, receivers Grant Thornton said, including the new village proposals.

Les Ross, a partner in Grant Thornton, said: "Camelot Theme Park has struggled for a number of years to compete with larger attractions such as Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Alton Towers.

"Visitor numbers had been in decline at the park, which only operated for 20 weeks out of the year.

"The hotel had an extremely busy Christmas and New Year and also has very healthy bookings for functions and short leisure breaks.

"However, it has suffered a significant reduction in corporate bookings due to the economic downturn.

"We are optimistic about finding a buyer for the hotel, which will remain open for business as normal."

Can't say I'm surprised. This has been on the cards for some time.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a shame that this park has closed. I know it was not one of the world greatest parks, but I always enjoyed my visits there.

It could be called 'tacky' but some of the rides there were pretty good fun, such as Knightmare & the petrol / gas powered coaster

I hope Knightmare can be saved & hopefully relocated somewhere else in the UK.

Like others have said, it was not too suprising that park has finally closed & with the current financial market I'm sure did not help the park to stay open.

I sad the park has had to shut

I really liked Knightmare but... that was it!

I went twice, once in 2007 and then again last year, and both visits the park was absolutely dead and really, really sucked! If you're questioning why I would return, it's because a friend wanted the credits and I'm a good person so went too... plus, I wanted to ride Knightmare again before what I figured would be the inevitable happened...

I only visited it last literally a few days before it closed for the season, yay! Some sort of record there...

I need to stop visiting parks, that's Southport, Coney Island and now Camelot that have all announced they're closing just after I've been... or maybe I should just start visiting SFA more?

No surprise really! I visited once before Knightmare was there and it was a dump and even in the middle of the summer it was dead. I also visited when Knightmare was there and It was a tad busier than last time....

But what do you expect, it was really close to Pleasure Beach and an hour away from Alton towers....Plus staff were terrible there!

• 1 month later...