TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

La Ronde visit planned

We're going to be taking a day trip up to Montreal to visit La Ronde on 8/4, it'll be my first visit there.

Any tips? Things to avoid and/or see (other than the coasters, of course).

Will I need to exchange currency, and if so can I at the park? Or should I stick to credit cards.

I am assuming my Great Escape pass w/ parking will work for parking at La Ronde as it does at other Six Flags parks, is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your parking pass should work, i used my SFGAdv parking pass there a couple of months ago.

Instead of exchanging cash and paying a crazy exchange rate I used an ATM at the park to get a better rate. Or at least I think it was a better rate.

I really enjoyed the selection of flat rides offered at LaRonde. maybe it is because the coaster selection outside of Goliath and Vampire is poor. Although the indoor coaster is better than average.

And buy a Beaver Tail - the best fried dough creation at any amusement park.

When I was there Monstre and Goliath were running 2 trains and everything else was running 1 with pretty long lines, and the operations are slow. Walk around the park a bit and get a feel for the crowds, you can probably easily get on all the coasters without a Flashpass but if there are crowds it would greatly improve your day (and its pretty awesome marathoning Goliath when it has a long slow line).

Also ALL the signs are in French when you cross the border and the Garmin didnt work in Canada, so make sure you know exactly how to get there.

I went there in June for the first time...

Monstre looked like a good layout but was pretty rough. Goliath was the first B&M "Megacoaster" I've been on and I suggest to go on the back.

Cobra, the stand-up, is a little fun because it was my first stand-up and it was cool to have the forces on my feet instead of on my bottom but it's very "head-bangy".

Vampire is a clone of Batman (the first "Batman - The Ride" layout I've been on) and I liked how it was pretty forceful.

Orbite is a S&S tower (and it takes your picture? never saw that on a tower before except on ToT) but it doesn't seem to go far up the tower from what I remember, although it has good airtime.

I don't know about August, but in June there were a LOT of school trips...agh!

The monorail was pretty fun. It goes under Goliath's lift and had better views than I expected and the trains instantly reminded me of RCT.

Well, I guess that's what I have to say.

If you want to do all of the coasters, make sure you walk the entire park (or look really carefully at the map). During my visit, I missed at least two credits simply because I couldn't find them.

Also, depending on the time you have to visit the park, and how many people are there that day, you may want to consider getting a Flash Pass (Q-Bot), since it frontlines you for most of the major attractions in the park.

From their website:

One hour before everybody:

Exclusive opening to season passport holders, in June 15

- only on June 15? Huh? Assuming that's wrong and it's a translation error("as of" June 15th perhaps?)

- does this apply to other 6F park passholders as well?

Since it is your first time it may be a good idea to get a flash pass. Being a Monday crowds should be decent, however it is a long weekend for those who live in Ontario and I'm not sure if that would have an affect on La Ronde.

Also Montreal can be a pretty confusing city to drive in, the drivers can be a little nuts, and if I remember correctly the exit to the park is on a bridge and can be easy to miss. A GPS and/or detailed instructions should help.

I would suggest not driving to it.

The bus is cheap and takes you right at the front gate.

You can park near the bus stop then take it to the park. It is a confusing area to drive in.

When I went they could not scan USA SF's passes and you have to go to guest relations and get a ticket. Might check that out and save time waiting in line to get told sorry go get a ticket.

I really enjoyed that park.

Have fun.

They will run 1 train on everything, except on Goliath (2 trains). That's their new brilliant policy this year!

Where will you be coming from? Parking near any subway stations is awful and you'll have good chances of getting a parking ticket... Thanks to the confusing, make-no-sense-whatsoever parking signs on the street. Send me an IM if you're looking at doing that and I'll give you a few hints.

Actually parking at the park seems to make the most sense for me, seeing as how I've already paid six flags for the privilege of doing so.

Reading a couple of the TR's from last year seems to indicate that they can scan other park passes at the turnstiles now as well, no need to go to GR?

My suggestion? Don't bother!

I was not impressed with this SF park at all. There were even more rides closed down at this park than when I visited SFMM the summer before.

The rides that were open were not all that good, except Goliath and Vampire. The park itself just seemed kinda run down, not very clean or frendly, thus I did not feel that it was worth the somewhat steep admission price. We were done with this park in about four hours. Two rides on Goliath, one on Le Monstre, one ride on Vampire, and a couple of flats, and we were done.

If you are a credit monger, than I guess it is worth the take. My personal opinion is that if I ever go back to Montreal, I would skip it.

I know I will probably offend some people that have had a wonderful time at this park. But please know that I am only referencing my own experience and stating my opinion from my visit two years ago! And it is certainly not a slam against Montreal, or the people...the city was awesome!!! One of the coolest cities I have ever visited!

I definitely think this is one of the worse[if not the worst] Six Flags Parks. Their operations are terrible, every coaster runs one train most of the time except Goliath and the Wild Mouse thing. Their flats are pretty good, but all the cycles are very short. It kind of reminded me of a giant fair almost, it was very run down and "temporary" looking IMO. The Boomerang is definitely a hit or miss in terms of being open, it breaks almost daily I think. You'll be done in a couple of hours I bet. Also, its layout is fairly confusing IMO.

I recommend a flash pass! It's worth it as some lines can get ridiculously long. Try to get in all the rides near the main entrance closest to the bridge as they might only run one train on Vampire and Cobra. Bring a jock strap for your ride on Cobra as you might become sterile. Don't bother with the water rides if it's hot as every child in Montreal will be riding them. The water that comes out of the water fountains has a very strong aftertaste. Don't bother with first aid as the most they will do is give you a barf bag and a bed to lie on for 20 minutes then ask you to leave. Have fun though!

It all sounds so magical.

That's ok, the only real cost is for the gas to get there and back, and food. I'm sure it's worth at least ONE visit.

(Umm.. how much are the flash passes at LR? There doesn't seem to be any info on the web site.)

(Ah nevermind, found it. $60 for 2 people for the gold)

I would suggest not driving to it.

The bus is cheap and takes you right at the front gate.

You can park near the bus stop then take it to the park. It is a confusing area to drive in.

When I went they could not scan USA SF's passes and you have to go to guest relations and get a ticket. Might check that out and save time waiting in line to get told sorry go get a ticket.

I really enjoyed that park.

Have fun.

I'm not sure when you were last there. In a previous year I had to go to guest relations, but this year my SFGAdv season pass scanned with no problem.

gk - I found it very easy to drive to the park from New York. Much easier than trying to drive into the center of Montreal. But you should make sure you have proper directions and know a few key words in French to read road signs.

Sud - South

Nord = North

Est = East

Ouest = West

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here with my French.

Just be prepared for the border police to look at you funny and question you when you tell them you are going to Montreal to visit LaRonde. They do not understand to lure of roller coasters to enthusiasts.

I wanna ride Goliath, though, the rest is just gravy (poutine?)

Yes, you definitely need poutine while in Montreal!! Skip La Ronde and do St Catherine's street at night instead - it might be more thrilling!!!

Well we went, had an exhausting day over all. Didn't go for the flash pass, lines were horrible but by the time they got that way we'd already ridden Cobra, Vampire and Goliath - Monstre was the only must-ride thing left at that point. I ended up completely skipping Super Manège & Boomerang - if I ever go back I'll pick up the credits but it just didn't seem all that worth it for a couple Vekomas.

I took a bunch of pics so I could put together a Photo TR if you guys like.