TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What do you do for a living?

bgwfreak

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's really easy to tell that it's a labor of love. you've been running a website for several years now , providing high quality, completely entertaining and informative coaster and theme park coverage made complete with your incredible videos. And you've chosen to benefit and bless all of us by providing so much wonderful content at no cost to us through the downloads and other info provided by your website. It's so very obvious that this is the fruition of a lifetime labor of love for coasters and theme parks.

I want to thank you both for all your dedication and efforts and let you know that I'm looking forward to all of your excellent work that is still yet to come!

Sounds like you guys could do a money mangement DVD too!!! LOL!

That woud be funny...alright in order to go to Japan you've got to save X number of dollars.

Let's watch as Joe tries to save his money.

Should he:

A) Blow his whole paycheck on Coaster DVDs? X

B) Waste all his money on games at his local amusement park? X

C) Squander his pay away on the video game Donkey Hunter 3000? X

D) Actually put some of his money in the bank so that he can go to Japan? Ding ding ding!!!

Awesome, you're into geography? I know every country's capitol even Krygyzstan and Vanuatu(Bishkek, and Port-Villa). Anyway how do you plan your trips when you cross time zones.?

VERY offtopic: Uhhh... Are you by any chance the Milleniumguy that I knew at RCT Lodge? :S

And what in all the world is Krygyzstan?

Yes, I am the millenniumguy of RCT Lodge and a million other coaster sites!

And sorry about the offtopic ramble. Kyrgyzstan is a central Asian ex-Soviet republic

Hey Robb, just something I'm always curious about with people, where did you go to college?

I was one of those people who went to a community college for a couple of years, and then kind of fell into the video game business accidently when I was 19 years old.

I've been considering going back to school to finish up, but at this point, with as established as I've been in my industry over the past 17 years, I'm not sure it would really help that much.

Hey Robb, How do you get all the memory to get such a big website?

I have found a webhost (although one I'm not too happy about right now) that offers a lot of storage and bandwidth. If you notice on the video downloads, I actually have 5 different sites, most of them I just use for video storage. So yeah, it's costly because I'm paying for 5 full service web servers, but I think it's worth it!

--Robb

Robb and Elissa, I have WDW/UO/IOA questions for you both:

A) Any advice on an arrival day itinerary for a couple staying on site?

B) Funwise, which is better: TL Surfing or Segway tour at Epcot?

C) Mummy, is the east coast or west coast version better?

D) Favorite on/off site eateries

and one for Robb:

Do you think the video game industry willl bend to the will of the gamers and return to making decent adventure game in the vein of the classic Sierra games (Kings/Space Quest, LSL,ect..). I mean, if we can make games like HL2, why not use the same technology to recreate the adventure games of old?

A) Any advice on an arrival day itinerary for a couple staying on site?

B) Funwise, which is better: TL Surfing or Segway tour at Epcot?

C) Mummy, is the east coast or west coast version better?

D) Favorite on/off site eateries

A) Where are you coming from? Flying, driving? How long do you plan to stay? What do you want to see? Usually when we do Long weekends we fly in on the red eye wednesday night so that we are in Orlando by 7am Thursday morning and fly home early Monday morning. This gives us 4 full days of which we usually do 1.5 at Universal/IOA, 2 at Disney, .5 at BGT or Sea World.

B) I liked the Segway Tour better because I sucked at Surfing. I don't think that the Surfing class is the best way to learn. They use BIG, FAST waves, not like if you learned at a beach. I am a really good swimmer and I still ended up swallowing A LOT of water! The Segway tour was a lot of fun! We even went back and did it again with my family!

C) Honestly, you can't even compare them. The Orlando one blows away the Californian one. As a matter of fact I just rode the Hollywood one this weekend for the first time since riding the Orlando one and it was even worse than I remembered! I really think that the Orlando one is in my top 20 coasters!

D) Must Eats: Mythos at IOA, Ohana's at Disney's Polynesian Resort. Other good places include: Spoodles at Disney's Boardwalk, Tepanyaki at the Japan Pavilion, the Italian place in the Italy Pavilion, and pretty much most of the sitdown table service restaurants at MGM. Offsite, I love Carrabbas and this little hole in the wall indian place on I-Drive!

Elissa "hope this helps" Alvey

Elissa,

On (A), we're going for 7 nights in sept. Flying in to MCO and thinking about renting a car. We're staying at the mouse complex (Pop Century) and have the magic your way + hopper + magic plus. Reason I want to rent the car is because id like to get away from the "pixie dust and rodents" every once in awhile. I def. want to hit UO/IOA and get some decent coaster action with some of my local friends down there.

GF and I talked about (B) and we're tilting towards segway as both of us are not "hardbodies"

Thank you for your input elissa, I definately appreciate it and the board

Chris "Im still waiting on my response from robb" Zer0

I don't know if anybody has asked this befoe, but do you guys have any tips for saving money once you get inside the park? Maybe it's just me, but $7.75 for a hot dog and chips @ Disneyland seems just a tiny bit pricey.

Jimmy"too much money, not enough food"Ford

Bringing a lunch is too much of a hassle. Every time you enter the resort, you have to wait in the bag check line. Some of my relatives do that, but they are some of the cheapest people I know. They don't pay to park, they buy a 1-park ticket, bring a lunch, and only stay for a couple hours. It just doesn't seem worth it. I'll stop ranting know. But does anybody know the secret about having more than 1 fastpass at a time? (I know, I'm just asking people n the forums)

• 1 year later...
I don't know if anybody has asked this befoe, but do you guys have any tips for saving money once you get inside the park? Maybe it's just me, but $7.75 for a hot dog and chips @ Disneyland seems just a tiny bit pricey.

Jimmy"too much money, not enough food"Ford

Try to find out where the employees eat?

When i worked as a FedEx "ramp rat" at Sea Tac, all the eateries at the airport were pricey, but hidden in the bowels of the airport was a cheap but very decent airport employee greasy spoon called "The Pit". They never cared to check for airport ID, and just slung hash for whomever had cashola. - Now Post 9/11 i don't know - but I suspect its just the same...