TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNE cuts Admission costs

So papers around the northeast are reporting that Six Flags New England will be cutting back on it's admission costs by $10 for this season- from $49.99 down to just $39.99. The quotes from SFNE president Larry Linton said the park wants to be more affordable in these trying economic times.

I read this as: Due to the airline prices that are soaring higher than the planes themselves, the tourist herds aren't flying to a park sitting all by itself between Massachusetts and Connecticut in the middle of nowhere to ride rides they could also find in more exciting places like Orlando or California. Let's face it, Agawam isn't exactly a world-renowned resort destination and even the presence of the best instance of Superman: RoS (yeah, I said it ) doesn't really warrant a trip in from five states away.

This leaves only the hard-nosed(bitter), practical(stingy) New England natives as patrons, and we won't pay $50 to get into a theme park, plus the $350(a gallon) in gas it'll take to get out there and back. Places in New England are really far apart, despite how tiny all those states look on the map. There's a lot of forest and endless Boston suburbs in there, and we wouldn't give the oil companies the pleasure of driving through it. I mean SFNE's the closest "major" park to me here in Maine, and it's 4.5, 5 hours away. Same goes for NH, VT and RI. Not exactly a day-trip kind of deal.

Even with a new indoor Batman coaster opening soon, and the high-thrill S:RoS, Batman, and Cyclone they've already got, not to mention the cutest little 1941 original, favorite-of-the-Kennedy-family wooden roller coaster you ever did see; Thunderbolt, it's got to be a tough time for them, financially. I'm not one for empathizing with big corporations of any kind, much less their CEOs, but in this case, every penny the price of gas/air travel goes up must equal another empty queue for them.

The Hartford Courant's got a good little article on the story, http://www.courant.com/business/hc-natbizdigbrf0528.art1may28,0,5090196.story and it looks like SFoG and SF St. Louis are making the same price cuts.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go online to Sixflags.com/NewEngland or participating Dunkin Donuts in the Agawam area, tickets are available for only $29.99. A commercial that just played said everyone can get in at the Kids price. Luckily the place I work for has a special buying program for only $25.00. Six Flags is really trying to get people to visit the parks this summer.

^^I'm glad the park is offering this lower price, but I agree with you, I doubt it will attract more tourists.

Then again, that may not be what they are focusing on. A local family of 4 saves $40 from this, so maybe it will help them out after all...?

A local family of 4 saves $40 from this, so maybe it will help them out after all...?

Absolutely! SFOT will be $29.99 with a Coke can this season. That's a great deal, since the adult admission is usually $49.99, and it is enough a a difference to persuade people to go who might normally stay home.

Wow, with all of these price cuts, Six Flags must be more worried about the gas crisis and impending doom it could cause than they seem. Do we yet know if the reduced ticketing is completely across the board, or are there any SF parks which will be staying at last year's pricing?

This is great, on my trip to Boston I may actually check out SFNE (I've never been) just because of the cost-lowering. Does SFNE due the empty pop can thing for an additional $10?

They have in the past, so far this season no cans that I have seen have any Six Flags stuff on them. (I work at a supermarket not too far away) I know that there are some kind of discount tickets or savings coupons in Select Oscar Mayer Lunchable Fun Packs. I think with these new changes some discounts may be canceled to prevent people from getting into the parks for free.

I think with these new changes some discounts may be canceled to prevent people from getting into the parks for free.

I would think they'd have to, if the military discount, for example, wasn't altered any for the new prices, we'd be talking a $12 ticket! Not bad for a Six Flags park!