TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Google Maps has a new feature

nagro5

Well, I was on Google Maps, and I notice something new. When you get close enough there's this little yellow guy that comes up on the street. I clicked on it, and it gave me a view like I was driving on the street.

Some people don't like this and are suing Google for invasion of privacy.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0404081google1.html

I don't think that it's an invasion of privacy, but I do think that it's kind of creepy that anyone can get that close to your house by just clicking on a button.

I think it's really cool. I just wanted to see what you guys think about it, and I wanted you to try it out.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool, they have street view added to where I live. I can see my house... but their satellite images are still outdated.

I don't think it's creepy.

Ah yes, let me cower in fear at the multitude of Google Maps "Street View" Stalkers. How will I be able to sleep at night knowing they are out there, sitting at their computers, looking at an 600x400 image of my residence taken from a moving car with a crappy camera many months ago? God, I just got chills. It's like they're looking INTO MY WINDOW RIGHT NOW.

The Google stalker vans! You'd think they'd be more interesting looking than some molestervan.

gooooooooooooooooooooooooogle.jpg.305caae6b23d3de757ad183b601d7fd9.jpg

Google stalker van is out to get you in a city near you!

This has been out for awhile.

There's websites out there which have posted all the most interesting pictures. Like a guy walking out of a strip club, a guy getting busted by the cops, sun bathing women with guys checking them out, and a guy peeing on a sign.

There's all sorts of easter eggs you can find.

• 2 months later...

Google just added a ton more stuff today.

To celebrate Street View's one year birthday, I am very happy to announce we are bringing Street View to 37 (you heard me - 37!) new areas and we have expanded coverage in 15 of our existing areas. All in all, this effectively doubles our coverage. The new cities include:

* MA: Springfield

* NY: Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse

* NJ: Newark

* VA: Virginia Beach

* NC: Charlotte, Winston-Salem

* SC: Columbia, Greenville

* GA: Atlanta

* FL: Boca Raton, Cape Coral, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Sarasota, West Palm Beach

* AL: Huntsville

* MS: Jackson

* TN: Knoxville

* KY: Lexington, Louisville

* OH: Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Toledo

* MI: Ann Arbor

* MO: St. Louis

* KS: Topeka

* NE: Lincoln

* OK: Oklahoma City, Tulsa

* NV: Reno

* CA: Bakersfield, Fresno, Sacramento, Stockton

Along with showing you some great metropolitan areas, I'm especially excited that we're also bringing you 10 new parks and recreational areas:

* Everglades National Park (Florida)

* Florida Keys

* Grand Teton National Park (Wyoming)

* Yellowstone National Park (Wyoming/Montana)

* Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado)

* Joshua Tree National Park (California)

* Death Valley National Park (California)

* Lassen Volcanic National Park (California)

* Sequoia National Park (California)

* Lake Tahoe (California/Nevada)

And last but not least, Street View coverage has expanded in 15 of our current areas: Boise, Boston, Kansas City, Miami, Nashville, New York City, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Richmond, San Diego, San Francisco, Tampa, and Tucson.

We've also been spending the past year working very hard to improve Street View image quality. In this push, we removed some of our oldest images, so say goodbye to odd coloring and funky geometric artifacts. The new images have better color and more consistent lighting.

From Google's Lat Long Blog.

So check out your city! Find your home or car. I found my old apartment in Tucson, and my brother's car is there. It's hard to see, but I believe that's it. I also found my grandpa's house, aunt's house, uncle's house and my cousin's house. It's really neat.

I also found people sitting in Kennywood's Screamin' Swing ready to ride or ready to exit. Here.

Show off your cool finds.

Those fiends, 37 more cities, how many more people must suffer by getting their house on the World Wide Web. Remember kids, when you see this van, don't let it take a picture of you, everyone knows criminals look at Google maps to look at kids to kidnap and houses to rob.

^ Any of them. Maybe start with the Purple Mickey at the entrance to the Magic Kingdom park. Do be sure you have updated to the newest version Google Earth first though.

Here's the Disney web page that describes the feature: disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/special/flashPages/index?id=GoogleEarthPage&CMP=OTC-3dparksVanity

• 9 months later...