TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's *BIG* Six Flags Magic Mountain Update!

I'm so sad I couldn't go, but thanks for trying to get me in! I think the red, yellow, magenta and black colors on X2 would be really cool. They would also save alote of money without the extra paint. I'm glad Aqua Man was there. Maybe Man Martian Hunter will come soon. This update was probably the best one I have ever seen! I'm glad you had fun!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I shoved a whole fire wing in my mouth and it burned!

Yeah, I decided to be brave and tried one. I've never felt so much pain in my life. My lips were burning, my gums were burning, my eyes were burning. I felt like I had gotten punched in the uterus. I even DRANK ranch. I think Guy got wonderful footage of me dying and -as Robb explained-"about to squirt". I've never cried so much in my life.

I loved the pictures! Especially the ones with Sylvester! Oh the memories!

Once again, I can't thank you enough Robb and Elissa for such a wonderful day!

Wow, look good picture buddy.

Aw that is very sad about the Psyclone, Flashback and the Freefall.

I have a many many Magic Mountain Collection a lot as about 10 vintage Magic Mountain souvenir maps, park map, prennet flag, dish, old tickets, old revolution tickets, post card, entrance ticket in 1971, map in 1971, brochures, pins, book, In 1971 Magic Mountain storybook about the Metro, Galaxy, Billy the Squid (Polyp Ride), Dragon, Eagle's Flight, Crazy Barrels, Bottom's Up, Circus Wheel, Funicular, Electric Rainbow, Himalaya, Grand Prix, Swiss Twist, and many many more on list. yes I have old photo of Magic Mountain between 1971 to 1978.

I don't believe they lost all the flat rides as Circus Wheel, Sierra Twist, Freefall, Spinout, Grand Prix, etc.

Circus Whheel (Trabant) 1971-1999

Z-Force (Looping Starship) 1987-1993

Crazy Barrels (Drunken Barrels) 1971-1989

Galaxy (Double Ferris Wheel) 1971-1979

Jolly Monster (Eyerly Monster) 1973-1981

Billy the Squid (Polyp Ride) 1971-1973

Tumble Drum (Walk Through Barrel Roll) 1974-1980

Reactor (Schwarzkopf Enterprise) 1977-1993

Condor (Huss Condor) 1988-1989

El-Bump (Bumper Boats) 1971-1979

the count about lost 15 flat rides!

Dragon, Steam Train, Grand Centennial Excurison, Eagle's Flight (El Dorado) and Eagle's Flight (Galaxy) are transportion rides. yes that they lost 5 transportion rides.

Now have 10 flat rides left at the Six Flags Magic Mountain as Buccaneer, Swashbuckler, Atom Smasher, Sandblaster, Scrambler, Grinder Gearworks, Dive Devil, Thrill Shot, Cyclone 500 and Grand Carrousel.

Now have 3 transportion rides left at the Six Flags Magic Mountain as Metro (SBNO), Orient Express and Sky Tower.

Now have 5 water rides left at the Six Flags Magic Mountain as Log Jammer, Roaring Rapids, Jets Stream, Tidal Wave and Yosemite Sam Sierra Falls.

Now have 15 Roller Coasters at the Park, 3 are relocated from park and lost two roller coasters like Psyclone and Flashback well as scrapped.

I don't believe you got a piece of the Flashback rings. Oh, damn I miss visited at the Six Flags Magic Mountain and get the piece of flashback ring from scrap. I wish that I could have one the Flashback ring really bad.

Ok, catch ya later, Thanks from Larry

I don't believe they lost all the flat rides as Circus Wheel, Sierra Twist, Freefall, Spinout, Granny Grand Prix, etc.

I have to be honest I was kind of sad to hear this news too. While I can fully appreciate the reasoning behind it, it's hard to ignore that on one hand they want to appeal more to families, but on the other hand they just removed 5 rides that had a 42" or less height restriction.

I really do hope there is something to replace them in the future. While I'm not even hoping for some multi-million dollar huge flat ride, how about a Rockin' Tug or something else out of the Zamperla family catalog to at least give a few more mechanical options for families with smaller kids. My gut feeling tells me though they do have some things in mind for the future beyond 2008 that will help.

At least the Thomas Train will be a nice replacement for Granny Grand Prix. So really they are only down 4!

--Robb

Hey everyone!

As a special treat we have uploaded a HUGH pack of high res photos from our X backstage tour in the Members Only section:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41503

There are some up close photos of the old trains in the transfer shed. This may very well be the final look at those trains!

Enjoy!

--Robb

I do hope something is added to the park besides a coaster here soon (not counting TT) This park just has too many outdoor rides when you compare them to the local parks, so when weather is a factor, theres nothing else really to do when your waiting for the weather to clear.

Here's a couple ideas I have had that would be quite marketable and reduce operational costs:

- Purchase the used Maliboomer from DCA & put it where Freefall is

- Remove Deja Vu or Superman (Personally, I think both could go)

- Go the Tony Hawk route and have an indoor skate show as well as the coaster (a combo of both)

- Build a Boardwalk Themed Area consisting of several Zamperla rides: A covered Tea Cup, a Disk-O, a Flying Carousel (Wave Swinger) Kite Flyer, and about 3 other rides. Then, you could Move the Swinging Ship to the Boardwalk, remove the Yo-Yo and put a Giant Wheel in the spot of both of them. That area is levitated, so the Wheel would appear taller.

- Put in a water playground for families with other water related dry rides (River Battle, etc)

I have to be honest I was kind of sad to hear this news too. While I can fully appreciate the reasoning behind it, it's hard to ignore that on one hand they want to appeal more to families, but on the other hand they just removed 5 rides that had a 42" or less height restriction.

I really do hope there is something to replace them in the future. While I'm not even hoping for some multi-million dollar huge flat ride, how about a Rockin' Tug or something else out of the Zamperla family catalog to at least give a few more mechanical options for families with smaller kids. My gut feeling tells me though they do have some things in mind for the future beyond 2008 that will help.

At least the Thomas Train will be a nice replacement for Granny Grand Prix. So really they are only down 4!

--Robb

This has been my main concern about the park for years now. If you look back through the years, the last non-coaster, non-upcharge ride that adults could easily ride (So this doesn't count the BBW upgrade) was Sierra Falls in the early 90's! Since then, we've seen the remaining flats age and slowly be removed for the park and nothing but coasters go in.

The addition of new flat rides would help the park in numerous ways. Most I've seen at other parks have height limits low enough to allow younger children on before they're tall enough for the bigger coasters, so it would fit into the family image they're pushing. It also would give people something to do other than the coasters, which would take some of the pressure off of the monstrous summer lines. Finally, in these days where the budget is increasingly tight, they could get a couple of new, unique rides for the price of a big coaster.

What could they add that would bring folks in? Toward the larger end, with the removal of Freefall in the very near future, a replacement for it would be good. I'd probably look for some variant of the latest Intamin design, as it's pretty much the only thing not in the local area already. I can almost guarantee seeing a dark ride at some point, because they're cheap but popular, especially when the temperature goes up in the summer.

I so very much wish I could have been there for the party and be there for WCB in March. Unfortunately, work appears to be sending me out of the country for that week. It's so great to see leadership at the park who seem to actually care for what they've been entrusted.

Steve-

I agree that the park is in need of flats. It helps to balance the park out. They said they want to tap into a wider demographic, I think the flat-ride route might be a quicker easier way. I'm not even saying adding a tremendous amount either...just one or two could help!

If they decide to not add any flats, can they at least fix up the ones they have? Grinder Gearworks is looking VERY rough these days. It needs to be cleaned and repainted BAD. When my friend and I were at the park last week we got "stuck" on the ride due to the metal clips on the restraints being so rusted. Left us with metal-smelling hands.

^ That's one way to get your RDA of iron!

I've been saying it forever. A good balance of flat rides, coasters, and various other attractions makes for a good family park. Circus Wheel and Sierra Twist are coming out---new flat rides in those spots would be the perfect replacement. The old Crazy Barrel location, hidden behind that basketball game (or whatever's there now) is also a good choice.

Freefall's leaving; a taller drop tower ride would work there. And I still like the idea of a Starflyer on top of the mountain, though I'm not sure where it could actually go and not interfere with what's up there now.

As restaurants go, it's clear that Mooseburger Lodge is SFMM's premier dining establishment now, but at one time it was the Four Winds Steakhouse (in what is the now-closed Laughing Dragon Pizza place in Samurai Summit). I still think a good Japanese teppan grill restaurant (think "Benihana") would be a great fit. Those are very popular and can be quite good.

Eric

I agree that the park is in need of flats. It helps to balance the park out. They said they want to tap into a wider demographic, I think the flat-ride route might be a quicker easier way. I'm not even saying adding a tremendous amount either...just one or two could help!

If they decide to not add any flats, can they at least fix up the ones they have? Grinder Gearworks is looking VERY rough these days. It needs to be cleaned and repainted BAD. When my friend and I were at the park last week we got "stuck" on the ride due to the metal clips on the restraints being so rusted. Left us with metal-smelling hands.

They do change the clips, but the rain got the best of them. Those clips rust really fast in the rain

sound like a great idea all of you.

Six Flags Magic Mountain need tower like S & S power triple tower just like Knott's Berry Farm. S & S power is cool freefall and bounce.

Intamin Freefall Stunt Tower maybe not buy it because accident at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom the cable has snap and drop to crash it might break teen girl legs that we heard a sad news.

Triple Tower already have in Six Flags Over Texas and Six Flags Fiesta Texas.

Yes, I remember the Crazy Barrels (Drunken Barrels) hidden at behind the basketball game that Why? Six Flags tried to scrap the platforms out as like happen at Six Flags St. Louis is tried to get plan to remove but ride is shut down since 10 years ago as SBNO but I think Six Flags Magic Mountain don't let people look at welding to cutting the metal platform out and can get a two new rides from Circus Wheel and Crazy Barrels.

Tom Hawk's Spinning Coaster is good idea was make room for near Riddler's Revenge and Tidal Wave was remove a old gas station and freefall. It might maybe have to size the around on Movie Distact area just like Timberline Twister at Mall of America that people walk under the spinning coaster.

I don't know why Six Flags is plan to remove Superman the Escape or not? one is save it that why Six Flags plan to paint from grey turn to Blue, Yellow and Red color scheme on the Superman the Escape?

Giant Wheel?? what did you ask about idea? that is such a good idea for make room formely flashback on site. Giant Wheel about 100 to 200 feet it's make people view over the Magic Mountain. Giant Wheel never bother to lifeguard from noise it's make pretty quiet and no one have noise anymore.

Wave Swinger? but they already have the Swashbuckler as Yo Yo.

Dark Knight is sound great for place where the Grinder Gearwork and building must take down to make room for Dark Knight wild mouse. Grinder Gearworks is change rename back to Electric Rainbow or same name for the Circus Wheel from old Tilt-A-Whirl on site at colossus county fair.

I don't see no list for sale about Sierra Twist and Spin Out on website. maybe Magic Mountain need to make room for new ride like the Rocking Tug? the Sierra Twist is move to where old spinout on site where Spin out is demolish it and make room for schwarzkopf bayern kurve was close to Jets Stream. sierra twist is rename to Blizzard Bobsled or Avalanche Run or Bobsledder? what do you think about have a good idea?

Make a good room from demolished old Psyclone to make add two rides and one roller coaster. One giant screaming swing, giant top spin and great wood roller coaster about very tall than colossus and psyclone it's like a drop in 150 feet into s shaped curve that maybe what like name for the wood roller coaster that called? "The California Giant" do you think have a good idea? Top Spin name is maybe Shake, Rotten & Roll? Screaming Swing is name maybe Verti-Go-Swing? That is such a good idea what do you think about the Swashbuckler as Yo Yo is good rename Spillikin' Swingeer sound better was from named of old Spillikin was chaged to cyclone bay.

S & S triple tower maybe was great room for near Buccaneer it's called Booty Blackbeard's Falls. we think have a good diea for each of you guys.

I love the tilt-a-whirl and don't remove from SFMM. I think Tilt is strong family ride that why remove was easy to set up and tear down was used from two old site like Baile de las Flores and Jolly Roger. I think better name for Taka Twirler was an asian language at near maybe Ninja and Tatsu on over the mountain that is pretty color scheme with include asian dragon on the tilt tubs that look like cool and we seen have bamboo stick on around the tilt-a-whirl panel just freat for asian theme.

what do you think about have a such good idea what new rides in the future? let you think about it

Thank you for have a good idea,

I do hope something is added to the park besides a coaster here soon (not counting TT) This park just has too many outdoor rides when you compare them to the local parks, so when weather is a factor, theres nothing else really to do when your waiting for the weather to clear.

Here's a couple ideas I have had that would be quite marketable and reduce operational costs:

- Purchase the used Maliboomer from DCA & put it where Freefall is

- Remove Deja Vu or Superman (Personally, I think both could go)

- Go the Tony Hawk route and have an indoor skate show as well as the coaster (a combo of both)

- Build a Boardwalk Themed Area consisting of several Zamperla rides: A covered Tea Cup, a Disk-O, a Flying Carousel (Wave Swinger) Kite Flyer, and about 3 other rides. Then, you could Move the Swinging Ship to the Boardwalk, remove the Yo-Yo and put a Giant Wheel in the spot of both of them. That area is levitated, so the Wheel would appear taller.

- Put in a water playground for families with other water related dry rides (River Battle, etc)

I agree on the removing of Superman. Its not running like it once was nor is it as popular as it was when it opened. They could replace it with another samurai/ninja themed coaster like Ninja and Tatsu.

With the removal of Psyclone they certainly have enough room for some Zamperla rides and other family oriented rides. Hopefully they'll even consider adding a dark ride or two.

Giant Wheel?? what did you ask about idea? that is such a good idea for make room formely flashback on site. Giant Wheel about 100 to 200 feet it's make people view over the Magic Mountain. Giant Wheel never bother to lifeguard from noise it's make pretty quiet and no one have noise anymore.

Wave Swinger? but they already have the Swashbuckler as Yo Yo.

I thought a Giant Wheel directly in place of the Swashbuckler and Pirate Ship would be nice due to the fact that it's close to the kids section and makes it's presence above those trees. The area is slightly levitated if I remember right. Plus, that keeps the Flashback site open for waterpark expansion.

And again, in my previous post, I mentioned a Wave Swinger to replace the Chance model and the Pirate Ship to be reinstalled in a Boardwalk Themed area.

I think about what I remember a name of theme like pirate's cove? that is the place with Buccaneer and Swashbuckler. that is ain't no more pirate's cove that why? Six Flags is built to the Goliath it becomes colossus county fair?

yea, SFMM should make the area where Goliath and the Buccaneer and Swashbuckler are Pirate-Island themed. It would certainly help them since outside of Samurai Summit, Cyclone Bay and Collossus County Fair they dont have any themes.