TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cypress Gardens and Wild Adventures to be sold.

Have you seen that for most of September Cypress Gardens is having an experiment where from Mon-Thursday the rides and waterpark won't be operating,I was like WHAT!!I think they're calling it Garden Days and admission is $19.95,I mean I don't know what's going on at that park,I just hope whoever buys it knows how to run it!!

Have you ever been there during the week? You are lucky to have 20 people in the park at one time. The place has been a money sink-hole since day one. It is a HORRIBLE location and a generic selection of rides 45 minutes away from some of the best rides in the world. Unfortunately most folks in Orlando saw this coming from a million miles a way. Wild Adventures will probably do OK on its own again because it is near the interstate and does not have to compete with any other parks.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen that for most of September Cypress Gardens is having an experiment where from Mon-Thursday the rides and waterpark won't be operating,I was like WHAT!!I think they're calling it Garden Days and admission is $19.95,I mean I don't know what's going on at that park,I just hope whoever buys it knows how to run it!!

Possibly taking a cue from Gilroy Gardens, which has had "Garden Days" on slower offseason days too since the park first opened. You wouldn't believe how many busloads of senior citizens and horticulturalist from all around pack the park on those days to enjoy the beautiful gardens without all the crowds and screaming brats. Could be a good move for CG too.

I've only been to Cypress Gardens twice,both times we got there around ten am and yes it felt like we were the only ones in the park,however an hour or two later we started seeing a good amount of people coming in,but that wasn't the deadest month of the year,so I understand how a weekday in September might be so dead it might not make sense to open the rides but in my mind that's not a good sign for the future of the park.I just think if they ever really wanted to compete or just be relevant they can't have a big ad on their website saying to come ride their new Starliner,but uhh,you just can't ride it monday through thursday.I think it's a nice little park and just hope someone buys it who knows how to run it well!!

^ Yea, it sucks that CG is so close to the other major theme parks, but they still have someting to work on. Maybe if they had more shows or something different that the other big parks dont have. If they keep thier focus on what works with them, I believe CG can be sucessful.

As for Wild Adventures, I think they'll be all right. Especially if Herschend ends up owning the park. They got a lot of cleaning up to do, but I can see that park doing big things in the future.

^ Since Ken knew this was all coming, I actually think it was pretty cool of him to get Starliner up anyways. Adds value to the park for the sale, along with keeping his promise to Starliner fans. Had he not done this, no guarantee the pile of wood Starliner just was not too long ago, may have ever been rebuilt again.

The CG "no rides" Mon-Thurs is indeed a TERRIBLE idea. Its on THOSE days I try to take my days off and head to the parks.

But if (and its a HUGE "if") it works for them, more power to CG.

As I might've said a few pages back, I can't see what CG could possibly add that would make them competitive with Disney, Universal, SeaWorld & BGA. They have shows (they pale in comparison to the big boys), they have rides (again, pales in comparison to the big boys), they have GREAT concerts (comparable to the big boys, but apparently not enough to bring in the attendance).

Let's see as time goes on. All I know is, I got motion sickness last time I went to CG. Haven't had motion sickness in YEARS. Must be all the carnival style rides.

^Arg... So the rumors were true. Well, the Herschends know what they're doing, I just hope they don't end up throwing their money in a pit with CG. I can see them really diversifying the place though with some shopping and live entertainment, not to mention loads of thematics; that could enable it to live.

I always thought HFE would have been a nice buyer for Cypress Gardens. Unfortunately with the competition down there that’s just wishful thinking.

Years ago I imagined a “what if” scenario where the Herschends redeveloped CG into a Silver Dollar City/Dollywood type park using the Southern theme they’ve already got in place, keeping all the gardens intact while building some nice themed rides and areas in the unused space. I guess that idea could only come to life within RCT, lol.

Anyway if HFE does get Wild Adventures it will be interesting to see what they do with the park.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I need to go to CG and soon, I havent been there since it got renovated. But I remember a 3rd grade field trip there, and we rode Island In the Sky (one of the very few there are) the Parachute thing, and the water park was awesome (my first experience of sun poisioning) and I remember the awesome gardens they had with bamboo, and the ice skating show, and the water ski show, man I forgot how great that place was, but now Im not so sure about it, I remember liking CG for its lack of rides really, and the fact that it was more of a natural fun feel to it.