TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Spare Parts - Where do they get them...

So I was thinking today (yes, I can think every now and then).

What happens when say your nice and shiny Arrow suspended coaster needs wheels, but Arrow is no longer around?

Maybe that's not the best example, but what do parks do when their ride's manufacturer is no longer around?

Do they build wheels and such in-house, or are there companies out there that still make the parts?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I dont know about those situations specifically but I know that often parks ask one company to make trains for/change the trakc of another company's coaster. so I figure theyc ould just order said wheels/parts/whatever from other companies.

or if its small stuff like wheels or bolts or whatever they can just go to a company that specializes in steel wheels/bolts/whatever, which isnt necessarily a coaster company.

Hmmm...This Does Actual Make Some Good Sense...

So Like what Tomi said, Im sure there are still companys out there that produce parts for older coasters, or that can machine "old" new parts. Or Im sure if it gets really bad, they could just retrack and put on new trains. (Like what Tomi Said)

-Ryan

So I was thinking today (yes, I can think every now and then).

What happens when say your nice and shiny Arrow suspended coaster needs wheels, but Arrow is no longer around?

Maybe that's not the best example, but what do parks do when their ride's manufacturer is no longer around?

Do they build wheels and such in-house, or are there companies out there that still make the parts?

I believe S&S offers arrow replacement parts. I can also see Vekoma selling parts for arrow trains as they are very similar in their designs.

I know KW does either make parts for something no longer made, like parts for Old Mill, Kangaroo, Auto Race. Or they go to specialty places to get them made.

Good question Wes!

Gee, forgive me, but this seems a little stupid for a whole topic. Obviously they are able to get or make parts somewhere, because all the old rides are still standing and running, there really is no reason for this topic. Let's say Chevy goes out of business, do you think I'm be able to find lug nuts for my rear passenger tire? Come on, this is ridiculous, of course they are able to get replacement parts, there are companies out there that do nothing but make replacement parts for manufacturers and for themselves. Do you really think that when a Company goes out of business there parts stop being manufactured? That's crazy talk.....

Gee, forgive me, but this seems a little stupid for a whole topic. Obviously they are able to get or make parts somewhere, because all the old rides are still standing and running, there really is no reason for this topic. Let's say Chevy goes out of business, do you think I'm be able to find lug nuts for my rear passenger tire? Come on, this is ridiculous, of course they are able to get replacement parts, there are companies out there that do nothing but make replacement parts for manufacturers and for themselves. Do you really think that when a Company goes out of business there parts stop being manufactured? That's crazy talk.....

Someone needs to take their happy pills.

Next time, if you have a problem with a thread, why not go to a mod instead of acting like a butt.

Someone needs to take their happy pills.

Next time, if you have a problem with a thread, why not go to a mod instead of acting like a butt.

Agreed.

Please leave the moderation to us, thanks!

--Robb

Yep i do beleive parts stop being manufactured =P

You try finding yourself new parts for a DeLorean! DMC went out of business many moons ago and yet people still need to service their time machines which will forever fall apart! (Beaut cars, just crap build quality! =P)

Speaking from experience, in the mining industry there are always crazy machines whose manufacturers disappear from existance and noone knows how to create a repro part... so engineers will strip and rebuild them from existing parts, perhaps making modifications along the way.

I would assume that in the instance of roller coasters whose manufacturers disappeared off the face of the earth, that they could be modified slightly or rebuilt using hybrid parts from other generic designs.

It would also make sense that these days a lot of the designs are fairly universal/standard and parts are semi-interchangable. But again, dont quote me on that because im taking a stab in the dark =P

^Actually, you can get parts for DeLoreans pretty easily. They made sure to have plenty of replacements for their customers before they declared bankruptcy.

As for coaster parts, wheels are made by independent companies. Basically, maunfacturers go to them for the wheels and do ont make them in house. Therefore, wheels are easy to come by. Also, manufacturers make sure that they have plenty essential parts like OTSRs, chain dogs, etc.

When Schwarzkopf went bankrupt, they sold all of their replacement parts for their rides (quite a large amount) to a holding company, which later became Schwarzkopf (this time run by Anton's son Wieland). The "new" Schwarzkopf mostly just supplies parts for existing Schwarzkopf coasters, although they came up with a new train design a few years ago that no one ended up purchasing.

If a park still can't find a part in surplus stockpiles or fromanother park, they can either manufacture it in-house or contract it out to companies. As pointed out earlier by Katie, Kennywood is one of the best examples of this, as they have a lot of unique, older rides that have either outlasted maunfacturer surplus parts or require a part that just can't be found.

Jeez...

Why Did I know this thread would talk about DeLoreans?

Haha, Yes, I have already bought some parts for mine, theyre very easy to get ahold of. (In the process of restoring My DeLorean).

So really...this topic should be closed? Parts can be aquired for out of business companys...or new parts can be manufactured.

-Ryan

Yeah the nerve of me asking a question that I didn't know the answer to.

I get sick of people that are like...."that's a stupid question, you should know that.".

Well obviously, I don't work at an amusement park and don't know everything about coasters, even though I've been riding them for decades now...that's scary.

But I thought it was a valid question, that I've never heard answerd before.

Why Did I know this thread would talk about DeLoreans?

Haha, Yes, I have already bought some parts for mine, theyre very easy to get ahold of. (In the process of restoring My DeLorean).

-Ryan

Haha, I'm really not sure how we got on that topic, but the only reason I know is because my uncle is a huge DeLorean fan-he owns 2-3 in various stages of completion. A waste of money if you ask me.

Anyway, spare coaster parts.....

So really...this topic should be closed?

Like I told that other guy...please leave the moderation to us, thanks!

--Robb "Getting really sick of all the back seat moderators..." Alvey

*sigh* Youre Right...

My apologies. I just dont see this topic going anywhere! But you be the Mod!

-Ryan

Since apparantly my question is a dumb one that is going nowhere, might as well close this thread.

I'll keep my questions to myself next time.

I neve said it wasnt a valid question! It was a good question, an im not saying in any way that it was stupid. The way I saw it was that the question had pretty much been answered..and theres really no reason to continue.

But I was in the wrong to say that it needs to be closed, thats all Robb's call. Dont put yourself down and say you wont post your questions...thats just more idiotic

-Ryan

^Actually, you can get parts for DeLoreans pretty easily. They made sure to have plenty of replacements for their customers before they declared bankruptcy.

Fair enough =P

I can only talk from experience and when trying to work out prices for a running and maintaining DeLorean in Australia it works out way too expensive for me ='(

Back to the 1969 Mach 1 Mustang dream! (Unfortunately, not back to the future ='( )