TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Bad news for summer trips to Florida

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went down last year two days before one of the hurricanes (Jeanne, I believe) rolled through (we actually hadn't even thought about it until we were booking the room and the CSR asked if we were trying to get away from the hurricane).

It was an incredibly stupid thing to do, but it was kinda exhilirating at the same time. We headed down, listened to the news conferences that were already going on regarding evacuations, hit Universal for a few hours the next morning, ran over to Downtown Disney, then got the hell outta Florida with time to spare.

Now, if we had tried to hang out on Sunday as well, things would have been a whole lot different...

Don't let it kill your skipping!

As a Florida native, Hurricanes are very hit and miss. Looks like we're entering a more active cycle, similar to the early 1900s.

I doubt it'd affect your Orlando/Tampa vacation plans, hopefully we won't have a repeat of last year and storms tend to hit coastal areas more than the inland Central Florida corridor.

George

- who's getting ready for hurricane season anyways, like I've done every other year...

As the Hitchhikers Guide says: DON'T PANIC!

Besides, most hurricanes hit usually during late August-September, so most of summer will be done by then.

That's when I'm going, late August! But my family and I got lucky last year, (we were there for Charley, and only lost a half a day at Universal and the next day the fastpasses weren't working at Disney) so maybe we'll get lucky again.

I was there when Hurricane Ivan was on, got out of Panama City just before it hit - when the camping ground you're staying at starts boarding up the shop windows, it's time to hit the road.

Went all the way to St Augustine to get out of Ivan's way, luckily the coast was clear to head to Orlando after that - only had a day and a half so I hit IOA (walk ons for everything), Sea World and Universal (and Old Town - we were staying next door).

Funny, I was next to Old Town during Charlie last year, trying to escape it from Tampa!!

3 stories of bricks came down on 12 cars behind the building we were in!! Luckily no one was hurt.

As for this season, it's my UNscientific idea that El Nino affected the jet stream enough to send a lot of hurricanes into Florida. Usually the jet streams send them around the state.

Sorry, but since when can a weatherman predict the weather? I'm in Tampa and no one in heck could've predicted early last year we were gonna get slammed by 4 hurricanes!

Now everybody is sh**ting their pants that its gonna be WORSE, stock up on hurricane supplies, etc, etc. Gimme a break!!! I think a lot of these "weather pros" are crying wolf since he came a visitin' 4 times LAST year.

And don't get me started on the stores & supermarkets down here, some already have signs saying "stock up now, hurricane season is here" & whatnot!

I've lived here for 10+ years and a majority of the hurricanes were MISS rather than HIT during that timeframe!

I wouldn't worry too much about the "hurricane predictions". Its just the news trying to put a scare in us again.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this thread back to life to warn some of youse guys that might be heading to our state this weekend (July 8-10), Hurricane Dennis is likely hittin' the US, though if it hits Central & Western Florida is undetermined, but it WILL enter the gulf.

Not to put a damper on anyone's plans, but I thought some of ya'll might wanna know. Hopefully it'll be a "miss"!

I lived in FL from early August of 1992 until 1999 and I go a few times a year to visit my mom. I lived through Andrew and many other Hurricanes.

My mom lives on the SW gulf coast of FL. Near Fort Myers. They almost got a direct hit on Charley last year. They were less then 30 miles from the eye. Now that was pretty scary, when you can't get ahold of your loved ones.

I am hitting FL August 31st-September 7th. What fun that will be. SheiKra here I come!

Oh and to the people that waited for Disney to open, well can we just say MORONS!!!!

Katie

yay! stop by and say hi if you're in the area, Katie.

yeah..yucky weather ahead for those of us on the west coast of FL. looks like I'll be waking up to crummy weather today. storms are slowly approaching the Tampa Bay area and we should be expecting rain within the next hour or two as the storm approaches/passes offshore.

we just missed Charlie last year also. just before it was going to make a direct hit on Sarasota, it turned inland and hit Port Charlotte & Punta Gorda. We were thinking of going to Disney to beat the hurricane. So glad we didn't!

Well, I'm supposed to leave for WDW on monday morning (forgive my lack of updating the signature countdown), and this has been a bit disconcerting. But my agent says she's gonna call me if this is going to affect my leaving then or not. I'll be departing from Syracuse, and stopping in Atlanta on the way down.

She hasn't called me yet, so it looks like I'll be good to go on monday for now.