TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty good coaster, but the first set of brakes would not work in real life, brake runs should be straight, (although there are a few Schwartzkopf coasters with curved midcourses.) but brakes should never have a veritcal curve to them, or any curve at all, the only acception should be skid brakes, they can curve latterally. And magnetic brakes can curve on the vertical axis. (think Kingda Ka, Zaturn, and Stealth)

^^Kingda Ka's brakerun is most definitely not straight, so they do not have to be straight to be real.

I know it is not straight, it starts at the top of the camelback, then goes on a downward curve on the Y-Axis, then an Upward curve on the Y-Axis, but Kingda Ka has the magnetic brakes mounted on the track, so on curves on the Y-Axis they are quite useable, but he was using traditional Intamin friction brakes which use a horizontal fin and matching friction piece,these can take horiontal curves on the X or Z-Axis but not on the Y -Axis.

Intamin does put brakes on a slant, but the curve to and from the slant arent brakes, they are just regular track. I'm not saying that the track is bad, I'm just trying to help him improve his building technique. And kennywood you could make a brake run like that by using a transport device and the "No Brakes" feature in the brake run settings.

^^Kingda Ka's brakerun is most definitely not straight, so they do not have to be straight to be real.

I know it is not straight, it starts at the top of the camelback, then goes on a downward curve on the Y-Axis, then an Upward curve on the Y-Axis, but Kingda Ka has the magnetic brakes mounted on the track, so on curves on the Y-Axis they are quite useable, but he was using traditional Intamin friction brakes which use a horizontal fin and matching friction piece,these can take horiontal curves on the X or Z-Axis but not on the Y -Axis.

2 problems here.

1. You don't have to throw out "X axis" and "y axis" to sound smart, everybody knows what you're talking about and there isn't anything that difficult about it. Even so, if you wan't to get intricate about you, you can see HERE at the bottom right the downward curving brake run which certainly involves a slight rotational twist of the train body and thus a twist of the brakes. Also, if you change the orientation of the train, it can have brakes in any direction it wants to.

Also, you want to use the word "plane" anyway. You're trying to claim that brakes cannot manage curves, when unbanked, on the X-Y plane or Y-Z plane, but can curve on the X-Z plane.

2. They are still magnetic brakes, they are just mounted differently.

^^Kingda Ka's brake run is most definitely not straight, so they do not have to be straight to be real.

I know it is not straight, it starts at the top of the camel back, then goes on a downward curve on the Y-Axis, then an Upward curve on the Y-Axis, but Kingda Ka has the magnetic brakes mounted on the track, so on curves on the Y-Axis they are quite usable, but he was using traditional Intamin friction brakes which use a horizontal fin and matching friction piece,these can take horizontal curves on the X or Z-Axis but not on the Y -Axis.

With NoLimits it's hard enough to make everything realistic because of the restrictions on the track. For example: the brakes you are speaking of, Rocket coasters altogether, B&M magnetic brakes...etc.

I'm just saying, don't be so pessimistic if the idea fits a realistic counterpart.

And also with your picture, if No Brakes is selected, it will only matter where the slider is if the train is supposed to stop on that segment. No Brakes means it acts like a transport segment, in which the train is engaged right away. Also, if Front Car is selected, when the front car rolls off the segment, the brakes ignore the train and automatically disengage.

2 problems here.

1. You don't have to throw out "X axis" and "y axis" to sound smart, everybody knows what you're talking about and there isn't anything that difficult about it. Even so, if you wan't to get intricate about you, you can see HERE at the bottom right the downward curving brake run which certainly involves a slight rotational twist of the train body and thus a twist of the brakes. Also, if you change the orientation of the train, it can have brakes in any direction it wants to.

Also, you want to use the word "plane" anyway. You're trying to claim that brakes cannot manage curves, when unbanked, on the X-Y plane or Y-Z plane, but can curve on the X-Z plane.

2. They are still magnetic brakes, they are just mounted differently.

Okay, you proved me wrong and I have no problem admitting it. But we live and learn.