TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Track Arrives at Wet'n'Wild

With there now two major water parks on the Gold Coast, it looks as the parks are trying new things with Wet'n'Wild taking delivery of track this week for the rumored new Half Pipe Roller Coaster.

http://ozcoaster.net/content/view/51/27/

I think that looking at the track it is unmistakeably a Half Pipe coaster, but where in park are they planing to put the ride. This is a good start to the year for the Australian Theme Park with Intamin AG announcing that their version of a Motorcycle Accelerator will be built at Dreamworld this year.

http://www.parkworld-online.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/188/9_new_Intamin_coasters.html

Maybe this Xmas would be a good one to visit Australia after all....

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the only ball coaster picture I've seen was the concept mock up and that had the standard box track. I doubt that is what this is because the box track is nessisary as the seats mount on the sides.

I'm really not sure what this is, unless they're using smaller trains on their halfpipes now.

-Don

edit- Found these images at www.coastersandmore.de I think they are from a press release as I've seen them elsewhere before. Looks like the ball coasters do use only the top rails, so tri track could be used.

ballcoaster6s.jpg.2e89656f37be84d6ef7c1f06b309fed1.jpg

This model uses LSMs. The new one's opening in Spain and Finland this year will use standard chain lifts though. Maybe because they are designed for heavier trains?

ballcoaster4s.jpg.08a06f425356607565831abfc09d4bde.jpg

The ride vehicle travels only on the top two rails just like standard Intamin trains.

Well, the only ball coaster picture I've seen was the concept mock up and that had the standard box track. I doubt that is what this is because the box track is nessisary as the seats mount on the sides.
Why would box style track be necessary with the seats at the sides? It should be fairly well balanced and the truss track should support most sideways movement fine. Heck the reason for the box track is when they have long sections of unsupported track. Perhaps it could be station track.

I'm honestly not sure what to think it is. I mean if it is a Half-Pipe it would mean dropping the large car because that track on second look doesn't look wide enough to support the car for the half-pipe. I'm still interested in what this is because it isn't clear so far.

After looking at the track pieces again I noticed what can only be a cap piece for a half pipe. That, plus the rest of the track having the same radius looks to confirm it. I guess they're using standard track for halfpipes now. I kinda wonder what the trains will look like.

-Don

1.jpg.128348d788331784753ee667d880d5d2.jpg

Unless it goes from tri to double track, I'd say this is the vertical piece of the halfpipe. Thanks Oz Coaster!

Isn't there a park right next to Wet 'n' Wild? I don't see what's so bad about a waterpark getting rides. I wish more of them would build coasters and stuff.

Plus, would it be possible to have massive water elements? Like two waterfalls on each side. I'm sure the electronics are outdoor grade and could handle it.

Plus riding a coaster in nothing but a speedo or a thong sounds like an awesomely fantastic idea! Unless you're a fattie or something, in which case you wouldn't be able to fit on an Intamin ride anyway! LOL

Hey Aussies, have you guys caught the American double wide Wal*Mart obiesity virus over there at all? It's getting kinda hard to breathe over here, all kinds of sweaty backs 'n such. Gross.

Sorry to derail the topic!

-Don

I call NOT aquatrax, its a halfpipe

Well, I still do think VRTP should have put the thing in at SW, but I guess this could help attract more people to WnW over winter. And since it is fairly unique it will give WnW more of an edge over the newly opened White Water World down the road. I think a few years down the track people wont see it as odd anymore and we will wonder how we ever did without it. Regardless its still the same ride no matter where it ends up.

And Rabid, you gotta donate a couple of your pics to RCDB, we cant have everyone unaware of our new ride, plus it will get WnW listed in RCDB.

Nah, the parks are about 1km apart so they probably wont ever merge, plus the Australian Outback Spectacular (Basically a big shed/stadium type thing which hosts a show) sits between the two parks, and behind it are all animal paddocks etc which sort of gets in the way.

And I dont know if people are being sarcastic or not, but Its pretty much confirmed as being a halfpipe coaster.

if you need further proof look at this:

http://ozcoaster.net/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=555&fullsize=1

notice the straight section of track, this is the end piece and also note that the end of the rails are flat and painted. The spine of the track also lacks the bit at the end where it can bolt on to the next segment.

However the other segments of track have grey ends with connectors so other segments can be joined on smoothly.

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would bump this one back up a bit for an Australian update.

As far as the construction of the Half Pipe coaster goes, there is none as I know it yet. Parts are still on site but have not yet received any reports that the ground work has started yet.

As I am talking of the Warner Village Theme Parks, Movie World has announced that the Matrix walk through attraction will be closing down to make way for a New Attraction. Now with the space that they have there, I am hoping to see a Sally Dark Ride, as was rumored a couple of years ago. Either that or it is the real location for the Half Pipe coaster and the park is playing games with the general public. Only time will tell on that one.

Now as I have not heard anything from Seaworld, we will head over to Dreamworld who have closed a number of attractions within the park, and are installing a Intamin AG Launched Cycle Coaster this year. The most logical place for this is the area under the Tower of Terror where the Vintage Cars were until late last year. The park has also closed down the chair lift ride, which also operated in the same area of the park as the TOT.

The other ride to close, all be it out of the blue, was the Eureka Mine Ride roller coaster, which has been explained as closed due to maintenance, or letting the park tell it there way, http://www.dreamworld.com.au/content/standard3.asp?name=FamilyRides

this also tells that the Vintage Cars will be reopened after construction of the parks new attraction.

Now that I have a bit more time away from work and in good health again, I hope to be able to keep you guys up to date with all the Aussie News either here or with the Rabid One at Ozcoaster.net Enjoy.