TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Albums of 2005

So what new for 2005 albums have you been listening to, and which ones do you like the best? I imagine there's a pretty diverse amount of musical tastes here, so a lot of ground should get covered.

The Decemberists - Picaresque - Probably my favorite of the year so far. Really not a bad track on it. Favorite tracks: "We Both Go Down Together", "The Engine Driver", "The Mariner's Revenge Song"

Weezer - Make Believe - Very flawed, but I can't help but love it anyway. It's no Pinkerton or The Blue Album, but I'm pretty sure I've already listened to it more than The Green Album and Maladroit combined. Favorite tracks: "Perfect Situation", "This Is Such A Pity", "The Other Way"

Ben Folds - Songs For Silverman - From what I've seen it hasn't received a great reception critically, but I really enjoy it. A lighter side of Folds, lacking the edge of Rockin' The Suburbs, but still very good in my opinion. Favorite Tracks: "You To Thank", "Jesuslands", "Give Judy My Notice"

Surfjan Stevens - Illinois - A pretty stunning album from what I've heard so far, but I haven't really had a chance to get into it yet. It's hard finding an hour and fifteen minutes to sit and listen to this epic. Favorite Tracks: "Come On! Feel the Illinoise!", "John Wayne Gacy, Jr.", "Casimir Pulaski Day"

Mary Timony - Ex Hex - I was pretty disappointed when I saw Mary open for Ted Leo a few months ago, and she only played tracks she was working on for this album, and nothing from Mountains or The Golden Dove. Now that I'm hearing them in album form, I like them more, but I still like the "castle pop" Timony better. I'm probably in a minority there, though. Haven't listened to this album much at all, really, so it may grow on me. Favorite Tracks: "Friend to J.C.", "Return to Pirates"

The Eels - Blinking Lights and Other Revelations - Another one that I haven't had a chance to really get into yet. I've never really listened to the Eels much before, but I'm enjoying this album so far. Don't have any favorite tracks yet, but I do like the single "Hey Man (Now You're Really Living)" a lot.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Oh you are so right, Sufjan Stevens has hit yet another homerun just from the three songs I've heard, he is just AMAZING. For some reason I'm not digging the new Eels as much as I was hoping, I've been a fan of theirs for a looong time, and this is their very first album where it feels like they've "already done it all before". The new Decemberists is very good though, however if I were to pick my top ten so far, in no order:

Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart

M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us

Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs

Hood - Outside Closer

M.I.A. - Arular

Mindless Self Indulgence - You'll Rebel to Anything

Patrick Wolf - Wind in the Wires

Eluvium - Talk Amongst the Trees

LCD Soundsystem - S/T

Piano Magic - Disaffected

P.S. - Someone make me stop being a music whore. It's too expensive.

I'm very picky when I buy CDs, I've gotta REALLY love the artist.

The Killers. Everyone has heard "Somebody Told Me" but the whole CD is great! Its a must have if you enjoy the sounds of "Somebody Told Me."

Britney Spears Greatest Hits. I don't know when it was released but if you love Britney, there ya go. Has all her singles that shes released. I love it when I'm in need of a Britney fix and I'm not afraid to admit it!

Right now both Bright Eyes albums, LCD Soundsystem and The Decemberists are the best things I've heard so far. The new Of Montreal album is really good too.

Jonathen, if you like the eels, get "Electro-Shock Blues". That's by far their best album, in fact it's the only one I'd consider really good. "Blinking Lights" is really a rip-off of a lot of ESB..

In 2005? I haven't seen too many that are upcoming that look good. The only two that I've liked so far have been In Between Dreams by Jack Johnson and The Best Little Secrets Are Kept by Louis XIV. Jack is always amazing, and this new one is no let down. Weezer's Make Believe is okay. Make Believe is kind of catchy, but altogether, it just isn't "great" in my opinion.

Fall Out Boy-From Under The Cork Tree.

Beck-Guero

Spitalfield-Stop Doing Bad Things

The Mars Volta-Frances The Mute

I shall buy the new Starting Line cd when it becomes available.

BIGGEST RELEASE OF THE YEAR:

Brand New's 3rd album in June or July. IM SO EXCITED!

• 2 weeks later...

Top of the list: Frances the Mute - The Mars Volta -- Amazing album, great band...and will be seeing them in Chicago tomorrow night.

The Killers album is quite good, also, and the Decemberists have a unique pop sound; some good songs on that album. I've also just picked up the new Dave Matthews Band album, Stand Up, and though it may be their worst album, still has a lot of good songs, and shows is definitely much different from any of their other music.

What I'm really awaiting is the new White Stripes album, Get Behind Me Satan...great raw sound, they have.