TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's the story with Intamin and CA Screamin?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^And that is why there was the controversy when California Screamin' broke down a couple of years back. The bracks malfunctioned (if I remember correctly) and Disney blamed the fault on Intamin, when Intamin responded by saying that this part of the coaster wasn't their responsibility as Disney had made its modifications when the ride was built.

Just to expand on whats already been said...

Disney, unlike parks such as Cedar Point and Six Flags, traditionally doesn't tout thier new attractions being created by outside companies. Everything is considered a production of Imagineering even though they use numerous contractors such as Intamin in the case of Cali Scream.

This has been an issue before...with Mission:Space. Disney likes to proclaim it as thier ride, but the centrifuge design came from an outside contractor.

In the case of Cali Scream, once Intamin "designed and built it", it was handed over to Disney who then made its own adjustments for everything from common ride control panels (in line with whats used for other Disney rides) and what not. So after the modifications, it no longer is a true Intamin attraction (I remember reading somewhere shortly after the accident, that Intamin no longer claimed the ride as thiers).

If the ride is no longer recognised by Intamin as a ride of theirs... how could Disney replace the section on the loop with Intamin track? I guess only Intamin Rides can supply this kind of pieces...

Anyway, this story is quite interesting, but I'd like to know even more details, like, why did they have to change the brake setting and such (if the ride was working properly)...

^ Intamin doesn't make track. As a matter of fact, they don't make much at all. Think of them as a middle man.

If Intamin has Stengel do the design work and they contract out the manufacturing and construction, what do they bring to the table? Project management experience? The ability to realize projects on-time and within the budget? Excuse my ignorance, but I know very little about how this works.

Ha, that's hilarious. Disney screws around with Intamin and loses.

Really, I mean it's fun, but not the best.

When I rode it, they played the music, which is apparently rare now, and they had the trims turned off. It was pretty intense, those last little hills gave loads of airtime.

If Intamin has Stengel do the design work and they contract out the manufacturing and construction, what do they bring to the table? Project management experience? The ability to realize projects on-time and within the budget? Excuse my ignorance, but I know very little about how this works.

Mostly, they are just in charge of making sure that the brakes and restraints fail.

Intamin is the "glue" between Designer, Contractor, Builder, Park etc.

how could Disney replace the section on the loop with Intamin track? I guess only Intamin Rides can supply this kind of pieces...

Intamin is Intamin Rides, you silly goose!

But really, I think Intamin is mainly only responsible for the steel track design/engineering (IE the tri track, 2 rail, quad, ect), the technology as well as the other parts used on the ride, and the cars. Where as the actual track itself, I believe in this case, was in actually designed by WDI. Or at least I was lead to believe this based off of discovery channel show I watched about the Imageers and one of the things they showed was a guy "designing" CAS