TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Who Will Play Ohio State for the National Championship?

PhishyBrewer

Who Will Play Ohio State?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Play Ohio State?

• Those Dirty Whores from Ann Arbor... Michigan
    • Southern Cal
    • University of Florida
    • Notre Dame
    • Arkansas

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why it wouldn't be Michigan.

IMHO I don't think Florida, Notre Dame, or Arkansas should be thought of as a number 2 team. Michigan beat Notre Dame. If Notre Dame beats USC, then where does ND go? Michigan beat them and ND beat the #3 team. How can they go in front of Michigan? If USC wins out, they just beat a team (ND) that lost to Michigan. How can USC go? Who cares who Florida or Arkansas play. Florida lost to #11 Auburn???? How can they be considered for the National title?

Just because Michigan "had their chance" doesn't mean they still aren't the #2 team in the Nation! Isn't it supposed to be #1 v. #2? If it is, then it should be UofM v. ohio state. Yes I know I didn't capitalize ohio state! Yes I am a Michigan fan too.

Too much to debate....I will just wait to see what happens.

If there's a 1-loss Michigan team and a 1-loss SEC team (most likely Florida), the SEC team should get the chance. I don't care how close the game is, the Wolverines already had their shot and couldn't pull it off. Where the game was is irrelevant. Someone else deserves a shot, not Michigan.

And this whole BCS is just that, without the C. I just can't get excited about college football when it has the most ridiculous championship system in all of American sports. It's absolutely pathetic.

I don't get why it wouldn't be Michigan.

IMHO I don't think Florida, Notre Dame, or Arkansas should be thought of as a number 2 team. Michigan beat Notre Dame. If Notre Dame beats USC, then where does ND go? Michigan beat them and ND beat the #3 team. How can they go in front of Michigan? If USC wins out, they just beat a team (ND) that lost to Michigan. How can USC go? Who cares who Florida or Arkansas play. Florida lost to #11 Auburn???? How can they be considered for the National title?

Just because Michigan "had their chance" doesn't mean they still aren't the #2 team in the Nation! Isn't it supposed to be #1 v. #2?

Too much to debate....I will just wait to see what happens.

Ditto, from a non OSU or UM fan

New poll: What's funnier...the BCS or The Golden Tickets?

2 more cents while I'm here: Although it pains me to say it, until the Big Ten and "Lack" Ten have to play conference championship games, the SEC representative should get a bit more consideration.

Scott "God, please forgive me for possibly supporting the Gators' cause" B.

stingrock -

Do some research on the 1996 NCAA Football Championship. It was the only one that Florida won! They won it by getting a "second" chance game with Florida State after FSU beat them earlier in the year. The ONLY reason for this was because Nebraska lost to Texas in the Big 12 Championship. Under your "belief" that there shouldn't be a re-match, then the Florida Gators STILL wouldn't have a National Title.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Don't change the rules in mid-season. Michigan is #2, they should be able to play Ohio State again. If Ohio State would have lost to Michigan, would you think that Ohio State is #2 or worse? I believe they are the two best teams in the nation. I don't want to see another FIASCO Bowl like the one Nebraska won. I am a Nebraska fan too, but please get a better opponent in the Championship game.

^Exactly. I understand the argument that Michigan shouldn't get to play again, but I don't agree with it. For anybody who says that, does that mean that series in playoffs are stupid? Whoever wins the first game should move on?

Yes, I really do understand the argument, but seriously, is there a better candidate? #2 Michigan lost to #1 OSU by three points. Three points. #3 USC spanked #5 Arkansas. The #2 Michigan spanked #6 Notre Dame. #4 Florida has struggled with a lot of less than stellar teams, and lost to #11 (at the time) Auburn. Not to mention, #4 Florida and #5 Arkansas, as well as #3 USC and #4 Notre Dame still have to square off. Oh, and #3 USC lost to an unranked Oregon State team. Might I remind everybody again that #2 Michigan lost by 3?

I'm not trying to say I'm completely right. I too wish there was a different opponent, but is there a worthier oppenent? I honestly don't think so.

I'm also a Florida fan though, so as Coaster Palooza just pointed out, I'm perfectly fine with second chances.

About that Florida title in 96( and I'm not a gator fan, by the way), were there any other 1-loss teams out there who were more deserving? I don't know, I don't have that info right in front of me, nor do I care to look for it. If so, then that wasn't necessarily the right matchup back then, but just because UF did get a shot, doesn't mean Michigan should get a shot too. If it was wrong then, why would it be right now? If that was such a problem, then the new system should try to change it so that it won't happen again. The system was even worse back then, so you can't equally compare it to now, although today's system sucks also.

My only beef is that if there is another one loss team other than michigan, why not give them a shot? There is no REAL way of knowing who is the better team or who would provide the best matchup, because a lot of these teams don't even play each other. That's the whole problem with this system and debate. Just because Michigan only lost by 3 to OSU doesn't mean they should get the shot. How do we know they would beat USC? Florida? Arkansas? We don't. And I know OSU is #1, but other than Michigan and an inexperienced Texas team early in the season, who have they played? Nobody. There is not another team on their schedule even in the top 25. Now, I can't really knock them from #1 since they're undefeated, but how good are they really? You guys act like Michigan's loss isn't really that bad because it was only by 3, but although OSU is #1, they've only played 2 good teams all year. Hell, how do we know both teams aren't overrated? We don't, which completely sucks because I'd love to watch all these teams actually PLAY each other on the field.

Damn, all this talk is making my head spin. It's just a completely bogus system, but just because UM played close to OSU doesn't mean they automatically deserve it, although I'm sure the voters will play a big role in that, no matter if it's wrong or right. Let's just let the rest of the season play out before deciding who deserves to play. There are a lot more games to go.

On a side note, I'd love for USC to beat ND, lost to UCLA, LSU beat Arkansas, Arkansas beat Florida, so that way USC and LSU can play in a bowl to make up for not playing in 2003.

^I agree on the system being different in 1996...and SH*&&Y!. There were other 1 loss teams out there. Ohio State was 11-1 going into their bowl game with undefeated ASU. ASU lost though. If they didn't lose and UF won their game, then ASU should have been national champions. UF actually beat the snot out of FSU and ASU lost.

Onto 2006, the system doesn't have a "rule" for the #2 team already playing the #1 team. Because of this, the #2 should be able to play #1 irregardless of if they played or not earlier in the year.

I have NEVER said anything about Michigan's loss not "being that bad." I also haven't stated about where they played. My only thing about this is it should be #1 v. #2 in the title game, whoever they are.

You feel that UF should go because they have only 1 loss, but their 1 loss was to #11, not even a top ten team! USC's loss to Oregon State should really hurt their chances, but it isn't. I don't understand why??? Oregon State isn't even ranked and UF's loss was to a ranked team...#11.

As for Ohio State's schedule, I don't know of ANY team that had to face #2 more than once in a season. They faced #2 Texas and beat them. They faced #2 Michigan and beat them. They have to face another #2 team to win the title. That #2 should be the BEST match-up, not just an SEC team should go...What about USC? They have a good team too.

I agree with the headspinning comment. This isn't over...hopefully we'll know soon.

GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!

Both Jim Tressel and Loyd Carr said they do NOT want a rematch nor do they both think its fair. Of course, the players on MI do, but, I think the coaches realize that THAT was their game. If they didnt win, they didnt deserve a chance.

So...I leave you with...

We dont give a damn for the whole state of Michigan, the whole state of Michigan, the whole state of Michigan.

We dont give a damn for the whole state of Michigan cause were from Oh-Hi-O.

Were from Oh-Hi-O - O! H!

Were from Oh-Hi-O - I! O!

We dont give a damn for the whole state of Michigan cause were from Oh-Hi-O!

Had to get that out of my system...hehe.

OSU Marching Band - We dont give a damn about the whole state of MI fight songs - Ohio State University Marching Band - We Don't Give a Damn for the whole state of Michigan(1).mp3

Trojans move up to No. 2 in AP Top 25

Southern California is the new No. 2.

The Trojans advanced one spot to overtake Michigan in The Associated Press Top 25 on Sunday, a day after their 44-24 victory over Notre Dame. USC, the sixth team to be ranked No. 2 this season behind No. 1 Ohio State, leads the Wolverines by 36 points in the poll.

Michigan, which completed its season with a 42-39 loss to Ohio State on Nov. 18, fell to No. 3. The Wolverines (11-1) are 63 points ahead of No. 4 Florida, which beat Florida State 21-14 to improve to 11-1.

Ohio State (12-0) was a unanimous No. 1 for the second consecutive week and third time this year. The Buckeyes received 65 first-place votes from the media panel.

While the Buckeyes have been top-ranked since the preseason, No. 2 has changed frequently. Notre Dame, Texas, Auburn and Florida have also held the second spot. Michigan's six-week run there was the longest of any team this season.

Michigan had a nine-point lead on USC in last week's poll, but the Trojans changed the minds of numerous voters on Saturday night.

"I was pretty sure I was going to keep Michigan No. 2 until I watched USC play," said John Hoover of the Tulsa (Okla.) World.

"Part of the reason (the Trojans) struggled in the middle of the season and lost was because Dwayne Jarrett wasn't healthy," he said.

Jarrett was at full strength against Notre Dame and caught three touchdown passes.

The rest of the Top 25 took a major reshuffling after a week with several upsets.

LSU moved up four spot to No. 5, a season-high for the Tigers, after a 31-26 victory over Arkansas on Friday.

No. 6 Louisville moved up two spots and No. 7 Wisconsin jumped three places. The Badgers have their highest rankings since November 2004, when they were No. 4.

No. 8 Arkansas dropped three spots after its first loss since the opening week of the season. Oklahoma is tied with the Razorbacks after moving up five spots.

Boise State (12-0), which beat Nevada 38-7 to complete an unbeaten regular season, cracked the top 10 for the second time in school history at No. 10. The Broncos were also 10th late in the 2004 season.

Auburn is No. 11, followed by Notre Dame, which dropped six spots after losing to USC.

Rutgers is 13th, Virginia Tech is 14th and West Virginia dropped eight spots to 15th after being upset 24-19 at home by South Florida.

Wake Forest, heading to the Atlantic Coast Conference title game to face Georgia Tech, moved up four spots to No. 16.

Texas, which lost its second consecutive game on Friday to Texas A&M, and Tennessee are tied at No. 17. The last time the Longhorns were ranked this low was October 2003, when they were 19th.

No. 19 Nebraska plays Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game. Mountain West Conference champion BYU was No. 20.

California was No. 21 and Texas A&M was back in the ranking at No. 22 after a 12-7 victory against the Longhorns.

No. 23 Georgia Tech dropped seven spots after losing 15-12 to Georgia. No. 24 was Hawaii and No. 25 Boston College slipped seven spots after losing 17-14 at Miami on Thanksgiving night.

Clemson fell out of the rankings after losing to South Carolina.

^ As much as I don't like Michigan, That is

BS

Look at the facts: Michigan's only loss was to the #1 Team in the nation, and nobody is disputing that. USC lossed to an unranked team, and THEY get bumped in front of U of M by beating a team that Michigan ALREADY KILLED!!! BS BS BS!

-James "Michigan and Ohio State are clearly the two best teams, let them play" Dillaman