TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

So Shapiro gets a 30% raise...

He isn't fixing the chain. He's selling off the bad parks to make the chain look good. SFMM could be a decent park if he just tried. Isn't that his job, anyway? It isn't byond repair, but he wants to sell it any way? It is so stupid. If he fixed it up, it could easily be the flagship park again, as SFGAdv is just a nightmare with operations, and they don't know how to handle El Toro in any way. SFMM at least had a better run in the beginning of Tatsu, but now they fail at that. If he just made an effort and raised their budget, he could fix that place, and he'd be so happy he didn't sell it.

I think it'd be funny if he sold it, another chain bought it, fixed it, and it did better than SFGAdv.

I have yet to go to Magic Mountain, but will probably end up there in January. From all accounts the place is a mess.

You'd think that they would want to make fixing that park a priority. Getting revenue when the other parks are closed has got to be advantageous.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the same complaints lodged at SFMM easily apply to SFGAdv. When SFNE was Riverside, I read many trip reports saying how the park was a horror show. Now it's on the do not touch list. Good management and decent capital CAN fix problems. Six Flags Corporate simply lacks the guts. Perhaps SIX is conceeding they simply don't know how to. If it's the latter, then Mr. Shapiro should be jettisoned from the company. Perhaps SIX should spend some of the revenue earned at SFMM on SFMM for maintenance and staffing.

I'll keep sounding like a broken record on this. If SFGAdv. was on Long Island, and not in the New Jersey Pine Barrens; it would have been sold YESTERDAY.

I actually prefer SFMM to SFGAdv. Nitro was okay, nothing amazing, and while El Toro is one of my favorite rides (if not number 1), the operations were just ghastly for that ride. SFMM really does have a better selection of thrill rides. Honestly, no other park has as many good (not the best, but good) coasters as SFMM. CP is close, but SFMM has better versions of some of their rides, whilst CP does best maybe 2 of SFMM's coasters. Also, SFMM has the most unique selection of coasters, with all of 5 clones out of 16 working coasters (17 if you count rust piles). If they gave that park as much effort as they are giving SFGAdv, which really is sub-par with coasters, and has a really crowded/cramped atmosphere, SFMM could be an amazing park.

I'm not directing this towards anybody, this is just my honest opinion.

I think that if he's getting a raise it's his and SF's own business. If anyone on this site got a raise at their job there wouldn't be a forum full of people discussing whether or not you deserve it. Even IF he doesn't deserve it, he's still getting it and there's nothing anyone else can do about it.

I don't think that paying SF workers or higher up people in the SF chain more is gunna affect the parks too much.

My comment isn't directed towards anyone, so nobody take it personally or start arguing.

^^Well the difference is that you, I, or Guy are not the CEO of a publicly traded company who many people have their money invested in.

Shapiro's performance at ESPN was shoddy by most people's standards. He tried to put the "entertainment" back in the channel's namesake, and failed MISERABLY (Playmakers anyone?).

To be fair, he was also responsible for Pardon the Interuption, Around the Horn, Outside the Lines, and the Sports Century series.

But anyways...thus far in his tenure, I'd have to say that I take dumps more deserving of a raise than he does. It's been all talk and no action. And he's even reverted to some of things (budget cuts, discounts, no characters, etc.) he bashed the old SF regime for.

But I also don't know what goes on behind the scenes. If he's found a way to clean up SF's balance sheet and developed a plan to get them out of the red (even if it means selling off parks), I can't argue with his raise. That's what the board and shareholders want him to do, and if he has delivered...

Why shouldn't he get a raise? When it come to corporate America, the people that do all the work seldom get better than 3-5 % raises. The higher up that ladder you get, the less you do and the more you make.

Look at the raises Congress gives themselves, did they earn it? Maybe Shapiro's just being Patriotic.

I'm not directing this towards anybody, this is just my honest opinion.

I think that if he's getting a raise it's his and SF's own business. If anyone on this site got a raise at their job there wouldn't be a forum full of people discussing whether or not you deserve it. Even IF he doesn't deserve it, he's still getting it and there's nothing anyone else can do about it.

I don't think that paying SF workers or higher up people in the SF chain more is gunna affect the parks too much.

My comment isn't directed towards anyone, so nobody take it personally or start arguing.

I'm not trying to flame or troll; so I apologize now in case it sounds like I am. Mr. Shapiro's salary and perks are very much everybody's business as SIX is a public company. The SEC is VERY serious about disclosure of officer benefits in the wake of Enron and Worldcom (I made a typo here and originally wrote Worldcon). I do agree with the fact we can't do much about the increase. Red Zone holds the controlling interest in SIX, and I do fear the board likes the idea of a real-estate sell off. They've seem to give Red Zone Carte Blanche to do as they wish with the assets. Funny thing is I remember Snyder ripping Burke for closing/selling Astroworld. Now he does the same with SFMM.

Higher salaries and less cuts do have a positive effect on employee morale and retention. When you see Corporate recognize your worth to the company, and a willingness to invest in a better workplace; it builds pride. You feel like part of an extended family and actually desire to be there. You treat the park like your own, and take further care of it. Pride transcends to every level of the atmosphere. Proud employees go out of their way to make customers happy. Customers in turn bring their families and friends.

Costco's management realized this and provided its workers with a "living wage" (average hourly salary of $17). They also provide GENEROUS health-care benefits. Costco as a result has the lowest employee theft and turnover rate in the entire retail industry. Costco sets a standard 15% profitability margin on its products; which pleases customers who know they're getting a good deal. They're buying name brand products at low pricing. Customers are not paying Heintz prices for Hunt's Ketchup.

I'm not totally against selling certain parks. You simply don't sell off the profitable ones. If this means no coasters for the next 5 years chain-wide, then so be it. Build your brand on value (something Shapiro hasn't REMOTELY done; $15 parking???) and cleanliness. If the GP sees you're providing a good ROI, they'll come no matter what. You simply don't cut off a perfectly good hand to fix a gangrened finger tip. You ditch the tip. Debt is not totally a burden (and in some cases it's actually an asset!), as long as you can make the interest payments. SIX is not in danger of missing these. One day I'll stop being lazy, read the SEC filings, and do a real breakdown of the company under Burke and Shapiro.

If I priced parks like SFGAdv., this is what I'd do:

$49.99 General Gate Admission (versus $60 today)

$34.99 HH Price.

$79.99 Three park hopper pass. (1-day)

$5 off admission Mon-Thurs. (with Coke can, no more BOGO Free)

$25 Preferred Parking

$10 parking (by eliminating $5 on the parking, dropping posted ticket prices, and eliminating BOGO with cans, you create an artificial price drop, but actually increase "get" pricing. Advertise the hell out of this too!).

$129 Season Pass Admission (now with standard 10-15% off all park food and souvenir pricing)

$189 Platinum 3 Park Pass (with 25% discounts universally)

$40 Parking Option per pass.

$99 renewal price (good for customers who opt for 2 year passes)

I'd also drop ALL concession prices park-wide. What you lose in initial profits you'll make up in volume. Customers not feeling fleeced are more likely to buy and feel happy about it. Giving Season Pass holders further discounts is key. Most holders don't buy anything at the park. Food is expensive and lousy. If you find a way to convince them you offer value, you actually stand to make large gains (with families) as they enjoy the convenience of in-park eating.

That's obviously a brief and simplistic approach. It's not that far off, or implausible to implement. It certainly is better than what Shapiro is doing (jacking up pricing to inflate profitability, while at the same time killing attendance and future ROI).

Sell SFMM to Cedar Fair. This works for everyone (except Snyder). Cedar Fair gets a huge park, Shapiro and Red Zone get a fat pile of money, Valencia remains a lovely place, and the GP get in for less. Repeat with SFEG, SFOT, and anything else Shapiro hates. If CF doesn't take it, Busch will.

What's funny is that under the previous SF management, Cedar Fair repeatedly tried to buy Magic Mountain and were rebuffed; they wanted to sell the chain whole. Now that CF took over Paramount, and put themselves in huge debt in the process, it seems much less likely.

Busch on the other hand is a possibility.