1. Name 3 of your favorite roller coasters, but not your top 3. Mindbender at Galaxyland (#5), Kumba at Busch Gardens Tampa (#7), Phoenix at Knoebels (#9).
2. About how many different parks did you visit in 2018? Here, I’ll list all of them! Holiday World, Six Flags Over Texas and Over Georgia, Universal Studios Orlando and Islands of Adventure, Hersheypark, and Family Kingdom.
3. Which 2018 park visit was your favorite? Overall, Holiday World. It’s my #2 favorite park now, just behind Knoebels. I loved my Holiwood Nights experience (who wouldn’t), and my visit to Family Kingdom where I was able to rack up six laps on one of my new favorite woodies of all time— Swamp Fox. Also the radio there plays exclusively ‘70s hits, which to an old soul like me is a welcome addition.
4. Your favorite 2018 park addition (ride, food, show, etc)? I feel like Steel Vengeance was really well done, since Cedar Fair went all out with the theming and expanded the story of Frontiertown while adding a world class coaster.
5. What ride exceeded your expectations the most in 2018? Probably The Legend. It ended up as one of my favorite wooden coasters ever, but I expected it to be a rough and mediocre coaster— what I got on the first two laps— but after sitting in the front on my third ride I fully appreciated it’s ballistic laterals and one standing airtime moment.
6. Best meal/food at a park in 2018? Holiday World’s buffet offerings on the first night of Holiwood Nights.
7. What was your favorite new coaster of 2018 NOT made by RMC or Larson? Probably Hyperion, or perhaps Time Traveler. Never got to ride either of those though.
8. Name one park you will definitely visit in 2019. Carowinds because it’s my home park AND they’re getting a shiny new coaster.
9. Best ride themed to a bird? I put Thunderbird... but then I realized Phoenix is my #9, ahead of Thunderbird, so that wins. My 100th coaster credit and oh man did it deliver!
10. Lamest ride/coaster you rode in 2018? The Howler, but I had a cute experience on it where some random little boy wanted to ride with me so I accepted.
11. What roller coaster currently sits at the top of your bucketlist? (degree of difficulty: NOT a new-for-2019 ride) Steel Vengeance or DC Rivals.
12. What new-for-2019 ride or coaster are you most looking forward to? Steel Curtain, because it has the lap bars. It looks straight out of a fantasy NoLimits 2 coaster on YouTube. It has NINE inversions. Also it feels like something that should’ve been built fifteen years ago, when the coaster wars were in full swing, because of how daunting it is compared to the other 2019 additions.
13. Name the first totally middle-of-the-road (not bad/not great) park that comes to mind. Dorney Park. I visited this park in August 2017. Talon is very good by B&M invert standards, and I prefer it to Afterburn, Great Bear, Raptor (don’t get me started) and the Batmen I’ve ridden. Talon’s underrated, but Dorney Park as a whole is not. Hydra was a disappointment, and Steel Force met my mediocre expectations. Possessed was forgettable and the only credit I skipped out on was Stinger, which (unbeknownst to me) would get removed in a few months’ time. I’m not one to complain about operations, so the average dispatch speeds didn’t bother me at all. Thunderhawk was not as jarringly rough as I expected. Wildwater Kingdom is a pretty good waterpark, but I only was able to do the 2 wave pools and lazy rivers because of how insanely long the slides’ lines were. Overall Dorney is a nice, average-sized park, but not worth stopping out of your way for unless you’re in Philadelphia (which I wasn’t and never have been). Wow, that was a lot of rambling.
14. You're in Orlando and magically have a 1-hour ERT session on 1 coaster of your choice at any park in the city. You choose... Rip Ride Rockit. Hulk may be the better ride overall, but in the front row Rip Ride Rockit offers a more varied experience with strong G’s and a few pops of ejector airtime. Also I can jam out to some of my favorite ‘70s music on board, so win!!
15. Holiday In The Park vs. Winterfest. Who reigns supreme? I’ve only been to Holiday in the Park at Over Georgia once (went in December 2018), and while all of the good rides were open the decorations felt a bit sparse. From what I’ve seen of Winterfest online, hardly any large rides are open BUT the quality of the decor looks very pleasing to the eyes. So I don’t know this one.
16. Mystic Timbers mystery shed or Wicker Man fire infusion? Wicker Man’s because it just looks soooo cool! Mystic Timbers’ shed was very disappointing, in my opinion.
17. Which Six Flags have you been to most recently? Six Flags Over Georgia on December 29, 2018.
18. Intamin or Schwarzkopf? You may only choose one. Ugh! I love both. I have a fetish with Schwarzkopf’s (don’t get me started on praising Mindbender in Canada), but if we are going for how good the rides are in enthusiasts’ eyes Intamin would be the real winner here.
19. Battle of Kings Coasters: Island or Dominion? Pick one. Island, even though Intimidator 305 is my favorite steel coaster I felt that in my 2017 visit the quality of the coasters there decreased dramatically after I305. Flight of Fear would have to be my second favorite in the park, followed by Dominator and then Volcano I guess? Kings Island on the other hand has a spectacular top 4 of Beast, Diamondback, Mystic Timbers and Banshee, supported by Racer, Flight of Fear and Bat— Bat being a pleasant surprise from my two laps at night.
20. What was the longest you waited for a ride/coaster in 2018? Probably Wildebeest at Holiday World. I waited for 30 minutes, was next in line to board, but the ride shut down for another half hour as guests were evacuated from it. Then the ride started back up and everyone cheered.
21. What roller coaster have you ridden more than any other? Fury 325 at Carowinds, somewhere around 21 times.
22. Best drop tower under 150 feet? I don’t really go out of my way to do drop towers. In that case, Slingshot at Family Kingdom I guess?
23. Maverick or Millennium Force? (If you haven't been to CP, pick what you want to ride more) Maverick, my #2 steel coaster, but Millennium Force is in my top 15.
24. Log flumes or sky rides? You can only choose one. Sky rides, because I love them so much! More parks needed to keep theirs instead of remove them, in my opinion.
25. What are 3 things you enjoying doing at your home park other than riding rides?
1) Taking friends to Carowinds for their first time(s) and seeing their reactions to stuff like Fury. 2) Chilling in the rocking chairs at the front entrance plaza, being surrounded by Fury’s massive structure. 3) Listening to the GP while in line to hear what kinds of absurd things they say about coast— Oops, sorry, went too far there. 26. What is your second favorite Cedar Fair park and why?
Very controversially Cedar Point. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not even close to being a bad park in any way, but I was disappointed by most of the coasters there. I wasn’t a huge fan of the atmosphere either, and that there wasn’t that much to do in the park besides the rides. I prefer Kings Island slightly because of its wooded setting, more satisfying atmosphere and better coaster line-up. Unlike most enthusiasts, I don’t just count the good coasters in a park’s roller coaster collection— I count the bad ones too.
27. What is your home park and give us two good reasons why we should pay it a visit. Carowinds, 1) Fury 325 exists and 2) They’re getting Copperhead Strike, I guess?
28. Launch or Lift? Lift, because there are not that many launch coasters out there compared to the ones with a lift. But I do enjoy Storm Runner’s and Maverick’s launches a lot.
29. Did you buy fast pass at all in 2018?
Technically, I went with my cousin to Universal for her Make A Wish trip, and we got this awesome lanyard that basically was free fastpass.
30. What is your least favorite wooden coaster? “Great” American Scream Machine. So rough, so jerky and so painful, it absolutely bulldozed my decent expectations.
31. Disney fanboys: cool or cult?
I sometimes check in on the Disney fanboys’ news from time to time. I would dread to admit it, but being the Florida-born boy I am, I have nostalgia for Walt Disney World (just don’t mention that the Backlot Tour and actually Great Movie Ride were torn down, okay? Those were my favorite rides in the resort as a kid). Plus, I know several Disney fanboys online and I’m cool with them.
32. Best Batman themed ride?
Six Flags Over Georgia’s. I’ve ridden Over Texas’s too, but that one was not as intense.
33. Name something that tend to take home from parks that you didn't bring with you.
A new t-shirt or park brochures— I love collecting park brochures.
34. Best wooden coaster over 110 feet tall? (rcdb will help you)
THE VOYAGE AT HOLIDAY WORLD!! My #1 favorite coaster of all time.
35. Have you ever been hit with something (loose change/a tree/vomit/etc) while riding something? Well, while riding Mystery Mine, my dad’s prescription glasses came off and hit him in the face all during the half-loop maneuver. We didn’t realize what had happened until he no longer felt his glasses on his face.
36. Skywarps: credits or no? State your case. No, because it is only coasting on gravity for like five feet. It’s powered nearly all the way.
37. Turkey legs: nah or yaaaaassssss? Honestly, I really don’t care for these, so that’d be a nah.
38. What is the most recent B&M that you rode?
Superman Ultimate Flight at Six Flags Over Georgia. A fun flying coaster that offers a true gliding sensation. Back in 2015, I had a bad experience of being stuck in flying position for ten minutes on the brakes— it was NOT comfortable at all. On a more positive note; I love how Superman, even though it is a clone, was nestled into the hillside unlike the other two American copies.
39. You can eat nothing but corn dogs, churros or funnel cake for the next 48 hours, which do you choose? Corn dogs are a welcome meal for me. Family Kingdom’s funnel cake or the churros at my local Spanish restaurant wouldn’t be bad either.
40. Post a great on-ride shot of you from 2018. (DO IT!) Sorry, no thanks.