Photo TR: 22 Days in China with TPR

UPDATE--Chap. 22: Hong Kong Disneyland
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: 22 Days in China with TPR

Postby ernierocker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:55 pm

So, what exactly was that large tower thingie supposed to be?

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:57 pm

^Just some sort of observation deck--with stylized dinosaur pillars.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:17 pm

^
I honestly don't/didn't remember much of Dinosaur Park, except the memory of that
"discussion" I had with a ride op concerning my age (59) and the "age limit" (being 60) to
ride Dinoconda. I even had proof on me I was under the limit, but for a while he wasn't
buying it. Then, as if by Dinosaur Magik (ha), he let me on, your pic shows me there,
still looking po'd about it, LOL!

And once was honestly enough for me. I am still not sold on these 4Ds, but also having
never ridden the original at SFMM, how can I really compare? Both this one and
Fuji-Q's were/are rough to me and more vibration in them, than I ever wanted in any coaster.

Thanks for taking so many pix of the park, Chuck.
And nope - still don't remember much of it, lol
Resize of 0018_8a.jpg
There I am, second row, hands together, still fuming over the 'age discussion' with *(&^%$@# ride op. The ride, unfort. did not help in easing my...tension, lol.
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:49 am.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:27 pm

^I was pleasantly surprised by X2 at Magic Mountain, Bill. It's not something I could "marathon," but it was much more fun than I expected. Dinoconda had a "feel" similar to X2 (Fuji Q's 4D, however, was wretched).

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:32 pm

^ Well I would still give X2 a try, having not gotten it as a credit still, lol.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:08 am

SharkTums wrote:^It's Chinese theming though...something feels really wrong or like only 1" deep about it.

That's true. For example, the Adventure of Moles building looked nice from the outside, but the inside looked like a college lecture hall with a flatscreen TV.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:24 am

cfc wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^It's Chinese theming though...something feels really wrong or like only 1" deep about it.

That's true. For example, the Adventure of Moles building looked nice from the outside, but the inside looked like a college lecture hall with a flatscreen TV.

At the end of the day, I was very happy that I dragged the group I was with on to Adventure of Moles. Even though our team clearly won all three challenges, another group was declared the winner.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:41 am

^It was a good idea for an interactive attraction, and rather fun to play. It just needed to be more "immersive."
Last edited by cfc on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:42 am.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Chapter 15: Yes! More Crazy Mice!--Whorin' the Credits in Guangdong
You have probably sensed something of a pattern here: Visits to major parks are bracketed by fast-paced days of hitting little parks and credits scattered around a city or province. This is how TPR rolls, folks.

Robb did have to rearrange the schedule a bit, thanks to a cancelled flight. We were sitting there in an airport (I don't even recall the name of the city now), waiting to board the last flight to Guangdong (the name sounds somewhat "dirty"). The boarding time slipped by, people milled around the gate, but nothing happened. So, we sat and waited until, finally and with no announcement, the red "Cancelled" message on the gate sign was illuminated.

At this point, Chinese Hell broke loose. Angry, shouting Chinese people crowded the gate attendants, some of whom simply gave up and walked away. It all looked pretty hopeless, but Robb called the Chinese tour company and fixed it for us to spend the night at a local hotel and catch the earliest flight for Guangzhou the next day . So, in the end thanks to Robb's diligence, all was well. He had to change the schedule a bit the next day, too, by switching our filming session at Chimelong Paradise. My thanks to Robb for keeping a cool head and making sure everything went as smoothly as possible--we made it to Guangdong the next day without any issues.

And this is where we encountered our newest guide: Jack. This fellow actually started out reasonably well, but when we got to Shenzen, his entire world collapsed. More on this later, but for now, let's say that he and the bus driver got into some rather amusing arguments (even if I couldn't understand a word they were saying).

So, let's ramble around Guangdong and Guangzhou Province, shall we? Jack knows a lot about the area, and he's more than willing to share that knowledge with you. Boy, did he share it. Whether you wanted it or not. ;)
01.jpg
Pick out the happy Brit in this morning airport photo.
02.jpg
We were all blown away by the bus's high-tech sound system!
03.jpg
This was not our hotel in Guangdong, but it is an excellent example of Chinese prowess in coming up with names.
04.jpg
Welcome to the Guangzhou Zoological Garden. They were setting up for some sort of flower festival.
05.jpg
Breakfast, anyone?
06.jpg
This looks like an enormous version of one of those "seed bells" that people put in birdcages.
07.jpg
Never step barefoot on sharp, pointy things. This is always sound advice.
08.jpg
Charlie Chaplin impersonators are allowed in this area.
09.jpg
This zoo has a Mega-Croc! Excellent!
10.jpg
It also has some credits--one with fully legal, licensed Disney theming (of course).
11.jpg
This is the Little Worm Train.
12.jpg
I doubt that "Guangdong" is Chinese for "little worm."
13.jpg
They have some woodland creatures to carry through the whole "Snow White" theme--such as it was.
14.jpg
Scott! Get excited!
15.jpg
Forest Flying Mouse--which although it invokes feelings of deja vu, should not be confused with "Deja Vu."
16.jpg
OK, I don't want to know what's in this pitcher--or whether it's being used to dispense or accept fluids.
17.jpg
Yep--looks rather familiar.
18.jpg
"The Pink Mouse of Power is mine!"
19.jpg
The Smiling Dutchman rides again!
20.jpg
Species "randomasaurus."
21.jpg
Next up: Tianhe Park. I'm reasonably sure of this. I could be wrong.
22.jpg
Hmm--my finely honed theme-park-geek instincts tell me that there may be a kiddie park here. Call it, a hunch.
23.jpg
Robb is going to make the Fruit Worm Coaster a star.
24.jpg
Oh boy! Golden Horse strikes again! I'm sure they sold a mess of these at IAAPA . . . oh, wait.
25.jpg
It just wouldn't be a Chinese park without one of these beauties--right, gents?
26.jpg
"You know, I've really lost track of how many of these we've ridden. How about you?"
27.jpg
And, yes, there is a Sliding Dragon. I know you're shocked, but it's true!
28.jpg
"I am the Chinese God of Sheer Terror! I hope you're wearing your adult diapers, because you will need them! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!"
29.jpg
"Yes! A spider! Always terrifying! Better wring out your shorts!"
30.jpg
"A dinosaur! The one you call Dave Thomas would approve! But this is nothing compared to the terror that is to come!"
31.jpg
"It's a mask and a sheet! On a stick! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!"

More "amazing" stuff to come.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:42 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:01 pm

^ Ha. The outside of that dark ride looked in better shape than the inside of it.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive