TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Coaster Palooza X.....Midwest Excursion

^^^I read your trip report too Eric. These get to be so long and the jobs get in the way of writing them and posting pictures. I want to get Day 10 posted tomorrow. I believe I will have time for that in the evening.

^^Thanks for the nice words. Our top woodies on this trip would have to be Voyage, Hades, Legend, Raven, The Beast (We like it!), Kentucky Rumbler, Avalanche, Cornball Express, Hoosier Hurricane, Wildcat. Top Steelies would be: Raging Bull, Powder Keg, Wildfire, Mamba, Superman (SFGAm), Batman.

This is just for this trip. So many woodies in the midwest!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome PTR.

Couple of curious questions.

Is WOF 'really' that bad as a park?

I was planning on going there near end of summer. The lines looked rather long, or operations/staff appeared really slack on ride capacity (similar to my recent BGE trip..lol).

SDC-looks like an awesome park. Is it similar to Dollywood?

If I am not mistaken (correct me if I am wrong), but I think Mel Bilbo is the GM (or VP) of SDC. He used to be with A-B and was GM at BGE when I was in management/operations. I wonder if he is still there (at SDC).

I thought I read somewhere recently that Wyandot Lake is up for sale. There was a recent business news article on 6 Flags (Mark Shapiro interview) and it was discussed.

Great PTR and notes!

^Kumba, WOF doesn't suck, it just isn't a comfortable park. There was a lot of security around the Patriot because of it being new and they don't want any trouble. Mamba and Timber's queues were fine. The rest of the park, you're on your own. There wasn't any security check upon entering the park. We believe they need it.

The bad thing about this park was it was just so dirty. The restroom that I used was horrible. It was flooded and there was some stuff on the floor that wasn't supposed to be there. They could have closed the bathroom and fixed everything, then open it again, but they chose to put a floor fan in there to dry it out. I was standing in a lot of water...at least I think that's what it was! The 2 that Gyendolynne went into were just disgusting from what she told me. She even told someone in management and their response was, "That's not my area, but I'll see what I can do about it." I would think the response would be, "Which bathroom and we'll get right on it!" UNBELIEVABLE!

I don't know if we hit it on a bad day, but Robb & Elissa have a report from last year and it doesn't sound all that great either.

This park was by far the worst on this trip. I'll post Day 10 later today and you'll find out something else about how we felt.

Day 10 – Sunday – WofFun and Fly home……or so we thought.

It is 8am and it has been pouring down rain for a while. Maybe this will help to clean up WofFun? We decided not to go back to WofFun and to try something else in the area. The waiter at the hotel told us that there is a Dave & Buster’s by the Cabela’s. We thought that would be a great place to kill some time. Dave & Buster’s is like an adult Chuck e. Cheese and Cabela’s is an outdoor retail store, but it is more like an event to actually go there as we would find out. On our way there, our “check fuel cap” light came on. I thought, “I filled up in Branson and I know I put that cap back on tight.” Oh well, let’s pull over. I opened the gas and sure enough the cap was loosely sitting there. When Gyendolynne started the car, she had to pump the gas and this car is fuel injected! Looking back a little bit I wonder if someone tried to siphon out the gas. There weren’t anymore problems. Cabela’s is something else. If you’re a hunter, fisherman, or taxidermist, you are in the right place. We aren’t any of them. After Cabela’s we went to D&B for lunch and then the airport for the flight home. Pretty uneventful ending, but if you made it all the way through, THANKS! We hope you enjoyed it.

To sum a few things up: You don’t have to pay for parking at the following: Holiday World, Beech Bend, Indiana Beach, Mt. Olympus, Timber Falls, Celebration City. If you can work it right, you might not have to pay at Paramount’s Kings Island (VIP Pass). It costs $5 to park at SFKK, $3 to park at Wyandot Lake, $15 at SFGAm, $8 at WofFun, and anywhere from free to $20 to park at Silver Dollar City. Free parking is a bit of a hike there, and it is $5 to park in preferred with a season pass.

Chicago is NOT our kind of town!

We would definitely go back to Holiday World, Beech Bend, PKI, Indiana Beach, Wisconsin Dells (Mt Olympus, etc.), Silver Dollar City, and Celebration City.

WofFun had to be the worst park of the trip followed closely by SFKK. We must have caught SFGAm on a bad day. It was pretty crowded and the rides weren’t all operating early. We might make it back there, but we won’t go out of our way for it. There isn’t anything bad about Wyandot Lake, but we just aren’t water park people. If you are, then Wyandot should be fun!

Best ride of the trip was Voyage. Hades is a close second and then, in no particular order….Legend, Raven, Kentucky Rumbler, Cornball Express, Hoosier Hurricane, The Beast, Raging Bull, Wildcat, Cyclops, Zeus, Powder Keg, Wildfire, Twisted Twins, The Patriot, Mamba, and Thunder Run. I know I have woods mixed with steels, but those were the rides we liked on the trip.

We went to 12 new parks, had 40 new coaster credits, and missed 15 for various reasons.

Next trip: Texas for July 4th weekend! More humidity!

We’re both exhausted! Goodnight everybody.

IMG_3853.JPG.9a4dc72d4e8c03dd637671169a72c63d.JPG

This is kind of a weak way to end this trip report, but it's inside Dave & Buster's. If you haven't been to one, it is like an adult Chuck E. Cheese. They have many virtual reality games along with other games, such as pool, shuffle board, etc.

IMG_3852.JPG.a511acb6a9c8c5fdfef2b562ff03fcf9.JPG

This whole mall area is developing. They have an independent minor league team playing across the street and this place should be open soon. We won't be there for either.

IMG_3851.JPG.e4cb4f28378b1ee890b4c486b7dc052d.JPG

after all the hunting and stuff, we decided to go to Dave & Buster's for an adult beverage and some lunch.

IMG_3850.JPG.0f90ff5c8e0c5fd3a8b863cb7499c0ec.JPG

okay, now we're in the fishing area.

IMG_3849.JPG.4c41bfa9f34b8b8302ed905c52398eb5.JPG

Hey, what's this? A hunting display!!!

IMG_3848.JPG.bf9a2366147b8854a883deb4a4fd9dca.JPG

Even Cabela's has a smashed penny machie! Why can't Mt. Olympus?

IMG_3847.JPG.70a37c2b7112eed8ad6384c3f7c33666.JPG

you guessed it, more hunting!

IMG_3846.JPG.896a954e9ff43b9242a03e26a2873781.JPG

This is the shooting gallery for.....

IMG_3845.JPG.b7558d798382f179dcc08021570b09c2.JPG

This one is hunting.

IMG_3844.JPG.318aad5fb96c9393a059b75e89918dad.JPG

This is one of the many themed areas. They had hunting, fishing, boating, more hunting, and more hunting. :)

IMG_3843.JPG.fae9c8b74be8d250152b09adadf59db5.JPG

A taxidermist's dream.

IMG_3842.JPG.22f7d32fa36a406934aae0e82773a4da.JPG

Look at the size of this friggin' place!

IMG_3840.JPG.cd223657c0dd310432723f7a9d7afdb2.JPG

Gyendolynne is already making friends! Actually she is talking to her parents.

IMG_3841.JPG.f2f20fedf868a7e9ec0182f14bc8de65.JPG

We're here at Cabela's. This will be much more fun the World's of Fun!

IMG_3838.JPG.f9e124a6656c1f6217a1b4a3136e2d46.JPG

The view from our room down stairs. This reminded us a lot of the Hilton Suites in Anaheim.

IMG_3837.JPG.0c4d1f3948b8ad987bbb01ed02654c7e.JPG

This room was next door to the Presidential suite!

Thanks coasterbilly! These TR take a while to put together, but the fun part is when people enjoy them so much, like yourself.

^^Wally, Cabela's is definitely different! I didn't buy anything in there, but I have ordered some shirts on-line.

Next up.....Texas for July 4th weekend! Only 1 week away.

Great TR, you really put a lot of work into this. We did a lot of the same parks as you on our trip. We did two days at SFGam and while the first day wasn't very crowded and we did most of the park in a couple hours, the second day was packed. Both were weekdays..so I guess with SFGam you just get lucky or you don't and unfortunately you guys didn't. For us only Dejavu and a couple flats were closed. We weren't too fond of Chicago either. We were so glad to get out of there.

We definately didn't like SFKK either. We did the entire park in an hour and a half and just left. Luckily everything was open for us, but I agree with you in that their operations were horrile. When you were there did they make you leave up your lap bar to check seat belts and then go back to check the lap bars? It took so long to dispatch a train this way..but oddly enough they still had to tell maybe 10 people each train how to do up their seat belts.

It looks like you guys had a great trip overall. I'll be looking forward to reports from your next trip.

^Yeah, it looks like you 2 were following right behind us.

As for SFKK, they did have us leave the lap bar up to check the seatbelts. It took a while to dispatch Thunder Run because of that. That also was the ride where the on-ride photo developer guy didn't put the border in because we didn't ask for it! I really couldn't believe that. It was the first time that has happened to us. Seriously, do we really want just a "plain Jane" picture of us on the ride, or do we want the border? Should that even be a question!

Awesome TR, great photos. All the dead critters reminds me of Jim Carrey's famous line...

"This is a lovely room of death!"

We actually have a Dave & Buster's here in Providence which is really cool, like the man said, go check it out, they're all over the country.