TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

My Orlando Trip

socalMAN123

Hey R&E!

I'm going to Orlando this summer and just wanted to get some pointers about what we should do. My dad said we are only going to WDW and USF and no where else, so what fun stuff should we do there? Also, we are not getting park hoppers because my dad doesn't want to spend the extra money for them, so how can we sucessfully conquer each park each day. Thanks for the pointers!

---Brent

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many days are you going for? Anyways, you will have no problem being able to see pretty much all the major attractions in each park. Just make sure you use the Fast Pass system which I know you know all about for Disneyland/California Adventure.

Anyways, they key is to make sure you get to each park about 30minutes before opening.

Animal Kingdom: Animal Kingdom has been very crowded so far this year. Go to Expedition Everest first thing. You may want to grab a Fast Pass if you want to ride it a 2nd time before you ride, just make sure you go ahead and get into line to ride it as well. EE does have a single rider's line as well, but for my last 2 visits it does run a bit slow (still expect a 15minute wait for it). After that I would recommend going over and doing the Safari next as the fastpasses can go quick for that one as well.

Make sure you do Dinosaur!, Primeval Whirl, The Safari, Tough to Be a Bug, and Kali water rapids ride. If you are planning to spend a full day at the park go ahead and see the Lion King show and do some exploring along some of the trails. You can actually spend a full day at Animal Kingdom if you go and do everything the park has to offer.

Disney/MGM: Oh Tower of Terror awaits! Go ahead and make the decision to do either Rock N Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror first. They sit right next to each other. Again, if you are planning to do either ride another time (make it Tower if you have to choose), go ahead and get a fast pass. Other things not to miss: Millionaire!, Indiana Jones stunt show, Lights Motor Action!, Great Movie Ride, Studio Tour etc. Again if you are spending the full day there, you will have no problem seeing everything. If you are planning to do Fantasmic, which is good, make sure you get there an hour before the show. At least during the summer they usually do have 2 performances.

Epcot: Go do Soarin first thing, but no need to get a fast pass for it. But then after that one head on over to Test Track and get fast passes, and if the line is short enough go ahead and ride it. Mission Space is usually not much of a wait, but things may change since the "non-spinning" version of it is going to be opening today. I am not sure how that will effect crowds., but make sure you do ride the spinning version. Most of all the other Future World attractions do not have much wait at all. Again, since you are going to spend a full day there you will have no problem being able to see everything. Make sure you stop by Club Cool for the Beverly challenge as well as Germany to say hello to Soren!. Make sure you stay for illumnations, by far the best fireworks show in Orlando.

Magic Kingdom: Head on over to Space Mountain and grab a fast pass before you ride (so you can ride the other side later in the day). Go do Goofy's Barstormer after Space Mountain since it usually has long lines and does not have a Fast Pass machine. You might as well do Buzz Lightyear as well, maye Stitch's not so great attraction (it had a long wait last year, but it may be shorter now). It is also a good idea to hit Fantasyland early in the day as well, as those lines can be very insane. Make sure you do Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Country Bears Jamboree. All the major attractions have a fast pass. You will have no problem filling up a full day at this park. Again stay for Wishes, its also a good fireworks show.

Ok Islands of Adventure.

Well, it all depends if you are going to stay on property or not. If you end up staying on property (which I highly recommend) your room key acts as those awesome all day fast passes. If you are planning to try to get the Pteranodon Flyers credit make sure you go over and do that very first thing. They may have no problem letting you on, but I understand if you get there first thing they usually let everyone on as well. Its all the way in the back of the park though in the Jurassic Park area. That is only if you are totally interested in racking up credits though. If not, just go do The Incredible Hulk first thing (but make sure you ride it again later in the day, it runs better later in the day IMO). Make sure you ride both in the front and back rows for this one. After the Hulk go ahead and ride Spiderman. Just work your way around the park after that. Toon Lagoon, Jurassic Park, etc. I am not sure what capacity is oging to be like for the new Dr. Seuss attraction, but I have a feeling that one is going to be a long wait, so you may want to do that one after Spiderman instead. Dueling Dragons's wait is usually short early in the day as well. Make sure you ride these 4 times total. Once in the front row for each side, as well as the very back row. Again, if you do these early in the day, this should be no problem.

Universal:

Go ahead and hit The Mummy first. While the lines may move quickly anyways, its a great way to start the day. You may want to hit WoodyWood Pecker's coaster as well as E.T. afterwards. Go do Men in Black, Jaws, and Earthquake and Back to the Future.

I would really hope that you can convince your folks to go to Busch Gardens as well. It is only about a 50 minute drive from Orlando. But again, if you don't have the time just make sure you go there next time you visit. Again, if you are spending the full day at each of these parks you will have no problem seeing everything.

Thanks for the tips Erik! We will be arriving at WDW on the 13th of August and staying until the 18th or 19th. We will then head to USF for about three days (we will be staying onsite at Disney as well as USF). I have tried to get my dad to drive me to BGA, but he refuses. Oh well, I can always hit it next time. Also, if anyone isn't doing anything on those days, maybe you guys would like to meet up with us for a little bit? I would love to meet more people from TPR.

---Brent

At IOA, you really want to stay until nighttime to get the shortest lines. I suggest starting at Marvel Superhero Island and working counterclockwise. You'll want to ride Hulk more than once, and your best bet is to ride early in the morning at later in the day. Dragons will have a two-month old paint job when you arrive, but it's better than the orange track it partially has right now. Ew.

Only WDW and USF, sounds just like my dad!

Yeah, I'm with Elissa, the park hopper is the best way to go. For example, we bought two days worth of USF tickets. Well, we ended up only spending one day there due to short lines and alot of stuff, and we really wanted to go back to Epcot because we missed so much stuff.

So, because we had already purchased 4 day hopper passes, it only costed us $16 dollars to add another day. Very beneficial, I think.

So overall, your first time there is sorta like an experiment, lots of things you'll do again, and some things you definitely won't do again. But again, get a hopper pass!

Hope that helps a bit.

Well everyone, my dad has officially cracked! We are now getting park hoppers! The schedule for my trip goes as:

6th: Arrive USF

7th: USF

8th: USF

9th: Kennedy Space Center

10th: WDW

11th: WDW

12th: WDW

13th: WDW

14th: WDW

15th: WDW

16th: WDW

17th: Leave

This trip is not final, but I am 98% sure we are going.

---Brent

You are spending 7 days at Disney? I take it that you are going to all the waterparks as well as the theme parks. But if not, for me, it only took 4 days to go around all 4 theme parks. That was in July, but I dont know what the crowds are like in August, but I would presume that they are roughly the same. But then also depends on thunderstorms as well, they are a right pain in the ass.

Anyway, I cant really give you anymore advice that has been posted.

Holy Crap that is a lot of days at Disney. Maybe if you are extra nice and mow the lawn every week you can convince him to make one of those days a Busch Gardens day. Its less than an hour away, plus you can do everything in a day.

^ I'm still working on it Erik. It is very hard to persuade my dad, so I'll keep working on it.

UPDATE

Our Orlando trip is now official! My dad made the flight reservations yesterday, I can't wait! Also, if anyone has a free day during my trip (August 6th - August 19th) I would love to meet up with you. It would be very fun to meet up with other TPR members!

---Brent

What hotel are you guys going to stay at during your time at disney?

You are spending 7 days at Disney? I take it that you are going to all the waterparks as well as the theme parks.

SO, does this mean that people don't normally go to the waterparks there I thought they'd be a star attraction! They look so cool!

New question:

I was wondering what rides at Universal you can use the Express Ride Access on?

UPDATE

The schedule goes as follows:

Universal Resort

Royal Pacific Hotel from the 6th of August to the 10th of August

Meal Plan

4 day park hoppers

Kennedy Space Center

2 nights at Hampton Inn from the 10th of August to the 13th

Kennedy Space Center on August the 11th

Astronaut Hall of Fame on August the 12th

Walt Disney World Resort

Contemporary Resort from the 13th to the 19th of August

7 day park hoppers

Free meal plan

That's all we have planned as of right now, and my dad is still being skeptical on whether or not we are going to go to a waterpark. He says he is leaning towards no.

---Brent

You can take the monorail from the Contemporary Hotel to the main transportation center by the Magic Kingdom parking lot. You just then walk over to the Epcot monorail (its all in the same station). MGM is only about 2 miles or so from the Magic Kingdom (just take a bus). Animal Kingdom is a little further, maybe 4 miles? Again just take a bus. They have bus stations at all the parks and hotels with easy to follow instructions so you don't take the wrong bus.