TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Questions about starting a website

jarmor

I have been seriously thinking about starting a website recently. I have lots of pictures just collecting cyber dust on my pc and I would like to share to the world and give my take on coasters and parks. I want to start something called "A day at the Park". I dont think that name has been used before (also dont think I should have said it here either lol lol). And since I would be doing alot of travels this year it would make sense to have a place to share with the community.

So my question is what does it take to get a site started?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you want your own, it takes a credit card.

From there, youll purchase a plan for space.

Alot of the places now will also take care of and include the domain name you choose and get it all set up for you.

From there I would reccommend a good FTP program for ease of use.

Once its all setup, youll just create your html templates (if you choose to use pages) for your pictures and upload em to your site. Its pretty darn easy really.

I also want to add that a lot of people have this misconception that "if you put up a website, people will come."

Websites take a LONG time to gain popularity and an installed base of users. Especially now since websites are fairly easy to create and are less expensive than they were 10 years ago.

Theme Park Review, for example, started as just a place for me to post some photos of my trips to share with friends and family.

That was in 1996. I don't have an archive of my original webpage, but I did find a few pages from an early 1997 backup. It looked something like this:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/tpr1997/

As you can see, over nearly 10 years, it's grown QUITE a bit!

Don't expect an overnight success. It takes MANY years to build up relationships with parks and members, and in such a crowded market these days, you need to be able to offer something different, or at least offer GOOD content to draw people in.

I hope this is some good advice!

--Robb "Who here remembers the Guess The Neon Coaster quiz that part of the original Theme Park Review site?" Alvey

I also want to add that a lot of people have this misconception that "if you put up a website, people will come."

Websites take a LONG time to gain popularity and an installed base of users. Especially now since websites are fairly easy to create and are less expensive than they were 10 years ago.

Theme Park Review, for example, started as just a place for me to post some photos of my trips to share with friends and family.

That was in 1996. I don't have an archive of my original webpage, but I did find a few pages from an early 1997 backup. It looked something like this:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/tpr1997/

As you can see, over nearly 10 years, it's grown QUITE a bit!

Don't expect an overnight success. It takes MANY years to build up relationships with parks and members, and in such a crowded market these days, you need to be able to offer something different, or at least offer GOOD content to draw people in.

I hope this is some good advice!

--Robb "Who here remembers the Guess The Neon Coaster quiz that part of the original Theme Park Review site?" Alvey

Oh yeah I understand what you mean. The reason I want to start it is basically the same reason you started yours. I mean eventually I want the site to grow but its basically going to be something so I can showcase and contribute to the community. Im not looking into adding forums or anything like that but something nice and easy navigatable. Thank you guys for the info so far. I have been eyeing your site as well as jonathan hawkins site just to name a few and I think im ready to step up to the plate...

Jarvis "already known at SFoG and PCar for carrying the tripod" Morant

^ So, is Megafobia still your #1?

LOL! No, not at all!

It was funny looking back on the old site files. Maybe I'll do a 'flashback' site for the 10th anniversary of Theme Park Review next year or something....

--Robb

Robb ... I didn't remember until I saw that archive, but I actually found your site back then.

I remember we were thinking of doing a CP trip and looking up coaster stuff. I saw your site and thought, Roller Coasters and Video Games ... sweet. I can also remember being jealous of your video game collection, just as I was when you told me about it.

At the time I didn't have my own computer, just a friends so I never really looked more than a few times.

It's odd what you can remember 8 years after the fact.

Gregg "Had no idea that TPR was that site I stumbled on way back then" C.

Oh yeah I understand what you mean. The reason I want to start it is basically the same reason you started yours. I mean eventually I want the site to grow but its basically going to be something so I can showcase and contribute to the community. Im not looking into adding forums or anything like that but something nice and easy navigatable. Thank you guys for the info so far. I have been eyeing your site as well as jonathan hawkins site just to name a few and I think im ready to step up to the plate...

Jarvis "already known at SFoG and PCar for carrying the tripod" Morant

I know exactly what you mean! I built my site for the same reason...sharing my loves of coasters and photography with the world!

I went to godaddy.com and registered my domain, then found a hosting company which was cheap and reliable (see my site for the company I went with). I enjoy putting it together, and love getting feedback from people all over who come to see it.

Originally I was footing the bill for hosting myself, but I recently added some of those google ads to help pay for web hosting.

Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to contact me directly.

I mean eventually I want the site to grow but its basically going to be something so I can showcase and contribute to the community. Im not looking into adding forums or anything like that but something nice and easy navigatable.

You don't need to pay squat for hosting until you reach several hundred megabytes of bandwith per month, and that won't be soon unless you post pictures the size of the ones at GAcoaster's site.

I know some guys.

^ Put a couple pictures on this site and you could hit a bandwidth quota real fast. I don't know how Robb does it. Working for providers is the only thing that has saved me. If I had to pay for my bandwidth, I would probably have got out long ago.

Saying that ... I have had a coasterfanatics.com for about 5 years and it is "very hard" to get any kind of following for your website. There are more out there than you could possibly imagine. Not trying to discourage you in any way, because it still be done. The biggest thing is trying to think of something new to offer. Find you niche and your set.

// I remember how excited I was in 2000 when google listed my site, and I got 60 visitors in one day!

^ And I actually really, really like your website a lot. If it doesn't already have a strong following, I hope it finds it's audience soon!

--Robb "Teds MUCH better at website design than I'll ever be!" Alvey

• 2 weeks later...

I have my domain now, attheparks.com, im still confused as ever. I dont think I wanna go w/ a web design comapny because its probably too expensive and it wont be my work. I think I have to get a webhosting right now? Im about to go to the library and see if they have some books on it and things of that nature (and get some books about japan for that trip!). I wanna thank you guys for helping me this far...

Many coaster webmaster are not experts in webdesign. If you want to get started immediately, start simple. Maybe use "movable type", "blogger" or something similar. This will allow you to post stuff while you are still learning.

Best luck, and welcome to the coaster site community.

I just want to thank you guys for all the advice so far. Im looking for a pretty good webhosting. I checked out godaddy.com and it seemed to be pretty good to me. I wanted to know from you guys what is a good webhost?

Im also taking jeff's advice and sending out "press release" to the prospective parks telling them about the site, what makes the site different, the features of the site, and how it can benefit them as a park. As well as sending them photos from various photos I have taken and a promotional DVD video featuring 3 video clips. Once again thanks to those who have helped out thus far. You all have no idea how much that means to me!!

^ I sold them off when I moved from Baltimore back to So Cal.

I had already dragged them across the country once, and I just couldn't do it again. Several of the machines took some pretty heavy damage during the first move, so I decided to find better homes for them locally instead.

Also, the cost of keeping that many machines in So Cal would have been too expensive having to rent a place with a garage big enough to keep them.

--Robb "Who misses the east coast and all those basements!" Alvey