TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Twilight Zone - Tower Of Terror Variations

I think that if they had to sacrifice ground space they should have built up. I know that Florida has an arial law that parks can't build over 200 feet without putting a large beacon on the ride, which is why Dr. Doom and ToT are both 199 feet tall. I don't know about the restrictions in California, Paris, and Tokyo, but I think they should have made the other towers taller to try and make up for where they fall behind MGM's version. Does anyone know the heights of the other towers? Are they taller, shorter, or the same?

I know I'm coming in to this topic kind of late but seeing as no one answered this question I will. I remember reading or hearing somewhere that DLR in California has it's own self imposed height restriction, in that no ride is to be made taller than the Matterhorn. Supposedly this is to preserve the classic skyline of the park. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Well I know that's one of the reasons Space Mountain was 'sunk' up to 15 feet below ground surface for it's construction at DL.

Couldn't be taller than the Matterhorn. Same went for BTM, too, I believe.

^ I believe the TDS one is opening this Halloween, while the Paris' version opens the following year, in it's fall, Chris.

That said, it's more than likely TDS will soft open theirs before the end of summer, hmm?

(Pic attached, thankyou to Joe's TDR Photo Site pages...)

amwtot286.jpg.102952b0483aa002da8dc236290ccc51.jpg

"Fall of 2006" I believe that banner reads? (o:

^ Hey, you never know, till you've shown here the finished attraction as part of it's surroundings, hmm?

And you could LIE by telling here she has to go thru the Hotel to get on the Big Ship...

^She's Japanese, not dumb!

As much as she loves Ariel, how many times do you think we've been to DisneySea in the last 6 months?

Three.

I think she knows how to get to the big ship!

She'll let me go on without her if she decides to skip it, but she does surprise me sometimes. I'm thinking she may go for it as it doesn't spin or go upside down. It's not a coaster, and above all...

It's DISNEY!

Well, as far as I can make out from the promos so far for it - won't do somersaults or upside down things to you guys, heh heh.

Sorry, I didn't really know if she had been there to TDR at all, or not. My error.

No harm, no foul.

Just remember, each Tokyo Disney park brings in 11-13 Million people each year. Even with 127 million people in Japan, TDR has been around long enough for everybody to get there nearly 1.5 times! Plus, she grew up 1 hour north of the parks, then lived in NE Tokyo for about a decade. (About 3.5 miles from the parks!) I can't imagine haw many times she went before I met her!

Halloween opening, huh?

• 2 months later...
I think that the 'cloning' DCA's ride sytem is just not just a case of "dumbing down" the WDW experience... but also, it's a matter of occupied space that one of these attractions has to sit on.

I've been going through the older Tower of Terror threads. I know this thread died out a couple months ago, but I don't think I saw anyone actually answer the question of why the ride system was changed between Florida and DCA.

The main reason for the change was to make the ride system more reliable. When the ride vehicles leave the load shafts, they follow a wire buried in the ground similar to other attractions at WDW. If the car loses the signal or starts to stray too far away from the wire, the ride E-stops. According to a former ToT CM I know, this is the #1 cause of ride breakdowns at the Florida Tower.

So, when designing the Tower for DCA, they eliminated their #1 source of breakdowns. While space may have also been a factor, increased reliability was their first goal.

-Rob

^ How often does the WDW ToT tend to "break down"? This way, I mean?

I actually forgot that this could happen. Or would happen often. For myself, it's just been a matter of space, since they had soooooo much available at WDW, it was easy to make the original ToT as big and forboding as they could get away with, under the 200 ft.height limit, heh heh.

And the building which houses the Twilight Zone 'stuff' and horizontal tracking was easy to put behind the main drop shaft(s). Then they 'built up' the landscaping and themeing in front of it, from what I've made out of pix and vids.

If they did it that way (buildings positions) with DCA or TDS (or Paris too, I guess) they couldn't landscape and/or theme it the same as they have at WDW, etc. Yes? No?

IMhO

^ How often does the WDW ToT tend to "break down"? This way, I mean?

I don't know the actual figures, but let's say the ride E-stopped once a day. If one particular issue was the cause of those shutdowns 75% of the time, eliminating that problem would greatly increase the ride's reliability. (From 30 days a month in my scenario, down to 7.5 days a month)

-Rob

I feel while budget and breakdowns may have been an issue... couldn't it just be a case of "let's not outdo the original" ?

At least all the buildings look different on the outside as well. Would have been nice to not have two towers with the twilight zone theme. I can't wait to try TDS's "Hightower" version of the ride.

By the way... is there any concept art for the paris tower? Is it just going to be flat on all sides like it is now?

^ "The word is," Paris' ToT is supposed to be a copy of the DCA version.

You'd think they'd be original in each of the four designs. Could still happen, since nothing I've seen has actually been posted as concept art for this one specifically, other than everybody saying "it's to be like DCA's..."

But hey - guess this is the trade-off for giving WDW the Stunt Action Show huh? And TDS the Indy Jones coaster, heh heh.

• 2 weeks later...
The only major changes from the original opening are the drop profiles. There have been other minor changes like the old lettering disappearing in the lobby... Otherwise it is just the drop profiles.

Do you know specifically what changed about the drop profiles? Did the original include launches?

The First version of TOT included one drop.

The Second included a drop, a launch back up, and a second drop.

The Third went up and down numerous times.

The Fourth - as we all know - is random.

Answer your question?

Construction photos from this week.

Nothing too exciting but they seemed to be making progress across the week.

As the park was pretty empty all week except when the parade or Lights, Motors, Action was starting/ending they may need to get a shift on.

1928203138_Tower-Monday.jpg.8bc6c452b4446f9ad2e588ff9541302d.jpg

Taken Monday (08/05/06)

Construction photos from this week.

Nothing too exciting but they seemed to be making progress across the week.

As the park was pretty empty all week except when the parade or Lights, Motors, Action was starting/ending they may need to get a shift on.

372362036_Tower-Friday.thumb.jpg.ca69e7d255145c2d072e2d2fe14a17ad.jpg

Friday Afternoon (12/05/06)

2030054514_Tower-FridayCrane.thumb.jpg.b66829f4d7860a237309e79fe9eef70d.jpg

Exciting crane action

1053818189_Tower-SideFriday.thumb.jpg.e3f3031d24a61e02dc91d0e894ed3325.jpg

Friday Afternoon (12/05/06)

1903998916_Tower-ThursdayWorking.jpg.4bef2c20f2f1c92070f80cda7bc7c8da.jpg

Hard at work

576462487_TowerSide-Thursday.thumb.jpg.42bfec91ad5ca06e89f8352b86506086.jpg

Thursday (11/05/06)

860232559_TowerfromThunderMountain.jpg.33d7d69a741ea4a4ffba31a6546b1569.jpg

A view from Thunder Mountain

1678965130_BackofTower-Monday.thumb.jpg.52b9fe2841f5d5a7a62a9998d935b699.jpg

Also taken Monday (08/05/06)

233160947_Tower-Monday.jpg.d0db1f77ffcb0345807f446f2dcbca33.jpg

Taken Monday (08/05/06)

I like that shot from BTM. Great how ToT just sticks up, above the tree line, heh heh.

Great close-up shots of the construction! Thanks for sharing them.